Archery

Soldato
In my opinion, I would say it isn't worth continuing to practice a bowstyle you don't want to shoot longer than you have to.

Stick with it till the end of the beginners course, but after that, go to the style you want. The majority of archers at least start (and a lot continue) as a recurve archer, hence why beginners courses progress you to shooting recruve (although you could probably argue that if you did the whole course teaching barebow, you would end up with more barebow archers)

There's no benefit (imo) to shooting a bow with stabilisers if you intend to shoot barebow, as the bow feels & reacts very differently.

Sorry for the belated reply, I completely forgot I had posted in this thread.

My course has now finished and I've sent off my application form for the club I want to join, so hopefully I'll be shooting again soon and starting to progress.

That's pretty much how I was feeling, re the not shooting a style I didn't really want to shoot. I think when I join the club I will tell them then that I want to progress to barebow recurve, though a part of me quite likes the aiming with a sight... I think I'll probably start with using the sight until I get my form set and consistent as at least I'll be able to see some progress and be hitting the target fairly consistently which will keep me interested! lol

The stabilisers I definitely don't want to use, I shot with them for a couple of the lessons on the course and wasn't keen.

Associate
How's everybody getting on with their outdoor season?

Finally managed to get out to 100yds for the first time in the last couple of weeks. Going to try for my Bowman classification before the summer is over, if yesterday's shooting is anything to go by it's not likely lol

Currently waiting for my new riser to turn up, cannot wait.

Soldato
What would be a good starter Longbow ?

I'd suggest trying one first if you haven't already. Recurve spoilt me with modern materials and vibration damping - when I tried longbow I was struck immediately by how light the actual bow was, how much more effort was required to pull a 50lb longbow over my 40lb recurve and the jarring vibrations up your arm when the arrow is loosed. After a few arrows I ached.

Respect the guys that shoot longbow but it really wasn't for me.

In answer to your question (finally) Bickerstaffe do decent longbows. Around £200 will get you something with a relatively low poundage that would suit a beginner.

Soldato
Outdoor season has started did an American last weekend and it was bitterly cold and windy so nowhere near my PB.

I have just taken receipt of my new limbs from Perris - Uukha VX-1000 Curve I am yet to tune them hopefully if the weather is half decent on Friday (ideally no wind) I will do a walk back test and tune the bow.

"lets get this thread moving again" fellow archers

Associate
Had my first competition of the season this last weekend too... Shot a WA1440 in horrendous conditions. Ended up scoring over 100 points lower than I did in practice the weekend before!

Hopefully I'll manage to get a shoot that has good conditions to put in some good scores soon!

Bought a nice set of WIAWIS limbs for this season, but turns out they're slower than my old Inno Primes, so I'm in contact with W&W to get that rectified. Also planning on buying myself a set of x10s in the next week or so to use for the rest of the season :)

Associate
My son has a birthday coming up and has expressed an interest in taking up archery - he's done it a few times on holiday and loves it. Any advice / tips for a beginner? Should we get him a bow to get started with or will a local club be able to let him try a few out first?

Caporegime
Get him into a beginners course at a local club/archery store who will provide the equipment.

Do not rush to buy a bow is definitely my recommendation, my current club lets you borrow theirs when you join them after youve done a beginners course and thats definitely useful while you learn what you should be looking to purchase etc...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
Thanks for the advice - just registered with a local club. They say the wait for the beginners course could be over six months. He's keen so he'll wait however. I guess picking something like this up during the Olympics is pretty bad timing!

Caporegime
Most probably only run them a couple of times a year dependent on numbers - think my club does it twice in the outdoor season and avoids the indoor season entirely. With it being August you might have to wait til next outdoor season Im afraid - have you considered a Have-a-Go session for his birthday?

I actually did mine with a local archery store because of this, probably works out more expensive. Though this might not be an advantage as you might have to wait until outdoor season before a club accepts new members - Id say wait and do it with a club as youll see if its one you want your child shooting with...

This is my experience from the few clubs Ive known so it could differ! Worth asking so youve got an idea of timescales/whats available...

Last edited:
Associate
Do not rush to buy a bow is definitely my recommendation, my current club lets you borrow theirs when you join them after youve done a beginners course and thats definitely useful while you learn what you should be looking to purchase etc...

I have been borrowing club equipment since the beginners course but we need to get our own kit by the end of this month as they start indoors mid Sept.

V F

V F

Soldato
Most probably only run them a couple of times a year dependent on numbers - think my club does it twice in the outdoor season and avoids the indoor season entirely. With it being August you might have to wait til next outdoor season Im afraid - have you considered a Have-a-Go session for his birthday?

I actually did mine with a local archery store because of this, probably works out more expensive. Though this might not be an advantage as you might have to wait until outdoor season before a club accepts new members - Id say wait and do it with a club as youll see if its one you want your child shooting with...

This is my experience from the few clubs Ive known so it could differ! Worth asking so youve got an idea of timescales/whats available...

How long have you been doing Archery? and do you have your own gear? I really loved the outdoor Archery when I used to do it. 12pm until 7pm think we were doing it during the summer.

Caporegime
Well for a while now (over 5 years), though through old shoulder injury I havent regularly in the past 2 outdoor seasons.

I have my own gear, shoot recurve, nothing fancy - I do it for fun mostly!

I really have no excuse not to do it more, but the mate I did it with ended up having referred carpal tunnel in his elbows and so had to give up the sport - that friendly competition was a lot of fun

Last edited:
Soldato
Thread resurrection.

I recently joined my local club after signing up for one of their beginners courses in the spring. Have been using a club recurve since then and am looking to get myself a bow in the next few weeks (currently working out how much £££ I can comfortably afford to part with). I'm also contemplating getting a flatbow for a bit of fun - have shot a few of the other members' flatbows and love the way they shoot.

Who's still shooting then, or anyone else taken it up lately?

J.T

J.T

Soldato
My daughter and I joined Chessington Bowmen end of last year and are really enjoying it.

Daughter shoots Recurve and I shoot LongBow, I want to start practicing more often and maybe enter some competitions next year.

2mk5xi.jpg

Associate
Still shooting as often as I can weather permitting. Having fun just shooting 282(2522 for recurve) at 40, 50 & 60yds. Windy days make it fun! Try and get some FITA18/Portsmouths in this winter.

Back
Top Bottom