• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ARCHIVE - *** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION *** - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
They may rip you off a bit with their prices but you do get good quality.
Gotta say, this is making the TUF at £650 with the £25 rebate look _really good_. But good luck to anyone trying to find it at that price. :D

Amazing that Asus managed to produce a card with all MLC and a highly performant cooler for the £649 RRP. Just a shame that demand and favourable reviews have resulted in inexcusable retailer price gouging.
Ha! Exactly this.

Associate
I ordered a Strix non OC at 14:27 on ‘release’ day. I’ve not really seen any official update on the card at all. I need to buy a new system for when the card arrives so was wondering whether it’s worth doing that now or waiting a little? I don’t particular want to buy all new and have it sat here couple of months before my GPU turns up.

Hey! That's pretty good timing, you should be doing pretty well in the queue - but it's probably best to assume it'll be at least a few weeks - if not a month or more. As you say, ASUS haven't said much about the non-OC version of the Strix. You're probably not losing anything to wait a few months, assuming the spectre of Brexit doesn't hit in the meantime.

Soldato
Asus is one of my preferred brands.

They may rip you off a bit with their prices but you do get good quality.

I like their Rampage Extreme boards because they can take a lot of very heavy use but they are expensive.

I admit I hate ASUS RMA here in the UK.
But you're right about ASUS not cheaping out on parts.

Having said that. I will look at the back of the card when I get it first :)

Associate
Hey! That's pretty good timing, you should be doing pretty well in the queue - but it's probably best to assume it'll be at least a few weeks - if not a month or more. As you say, ASUS haven't said much about the non-OC version of the Strix. You're probably not losing anything to wait a few months, assuming the spectre of Brexit doesn't hit in the meantime.
Thanks very much for your reply. Yeah I kind of had that in my head that it will probably be at least a few weeks. I guess I’ll hold off for now then.

Associate
Everything I read showed that the difference between the cost of MLCC and SPCAPs is inconsequential. The decision was made probably based on what was available at the time that met one of the guidelines set for engineering by NVIDIA. I think saying they opted for a cheaper inferior part to save money is an oversimplification. I have read many posts that say there is a shortage of MLCC capacitors globally. If that is the case and a board maker had limited supply, they probably made an effort to use the MLCC on cards specifically favored by overclockers, and used the non MLCC designs on factory overclocked models that are not favored by them and would rarely see 2 GHZ. Granted it looks like Zotac may have flubbed their model designed for overclockers, but if you do not overclock, cards like the Gigabyte Gaming will probably be fine. Except for the 226 people before me in the queue, they really should cancel their orders

Permabanned
With zero updates before the weekend I'm gonna have to call CS on Monday morning (28th) for a que position or to cancel my order.

I have recommended Overclockers since 2007, no more.
Good luck getting through to anyone. Trust me I have tried. 15 minutes on hold and than the answer was: we dont know anything. Watch forums for updates so I was like hey mate when you gonna get some cards and he told me: I dont know.

Soldato
Everything I read showed that the difference between the cost of MLCC and SPCAPs is inconsequential. The decision was made probably based on what was available at the time that met one of the guidelines set for engineering by NVIDIA. I think saying they opted for a cheaper inferior part to save money is an oversimplification. I have read many posts that say there is a shortage of MLCC capacitors globally. If that is the case and a board maker had limited supply, they probably made an effort to use the MLCC on cards specifically favored by overclockers, and used the non MLCC designs on factory overclocked models that are not favored by them and would rarely see 2 GHZ. Granted it looks like Zotac may have flubbed their model designed for overclockers, but if you do not overclock, cards like the Gigabyte Gaming will probably be fine. Except for the 226 people before me in the queue, they really should cancel their orders

ASUS never had a problem getting the better parts.
The others cheaped out to what they could get away with.

Associate
If this really is a problem I wouldn't be surprised if Zotac etc amend their designs going forward otherwise they'll be left behind the competition which will cost them in the long run...
which could potentially be another reason for the shortage? I'm sure they'redoing something behind the scenes right now

Permabanned
Anyone who bought the Asus Strix cards should cancel the order, the official images show 6 of the cheap MLCC arrays and are continuing to do so, glad I didn't order it.
This is something I dont get. Asus Strix is more premium than TUF but TUF has premiuk MLCCs and is cheaper but Strix has cheapo parts, and was built not to spec. I dont get that. It is the same company, no?

Associate
This is something I dont get. Asus Strix is more premium than TUF but TUF has premiuk MLCCs and is cheaper but Strix has cheapo parts, and was built not to spec. I dont get that. It is the same company, no?
It’s in the name. TUF is their “bombproof” line. Good value good solid design.

Strix has always been ASUSs hype train flashy choo choo train pay extra for hype branding line. I can’t stand this line. Also ROG.

Associate
Happily, one of the few reviews seems to show the MLCC's:
cfe8e20c8ca51311030c9dd4265135a2.jpeg

We'll see, though, hey?

/\

Strix has always been ASUSs hype train flashy choo choo train pay extra for hype branding line.

Associate
I wouldn't worry about it.

If you are in the queue, you are in the queue.

You will get your card as soon as the board partners are able to get it to us.

We will provide information to customers as soon as it become available and keep you informed.

Relax, as there is nothing you can do to speed up things. Get excited and look forward to it, as I look forward to you all getting the next gen cards :)

I'm responsible for monitor purchasing so I look forward to you all grabbing monitor upgrades :)

Appreciate you staying up so late to engage with the community!! That’s why we all order from OcUK!! Completely off topic (apologies everyone) but whilst you’re the monitor guy... do you have any notion on when ASUS are releasing their 43” hdmi 2.1 monitor? Need to upgrade my current 43” to a 120mhz variant and fancy future proofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom