Are cars getting too fast?

lol true when I bought there is that..... for various reasons mostly not the fault of the car.

however buying the right EV today and it's simply not going to depreciate that much any more.

some utter bargains out there at the moment imo

There are used bargains because they have depreciated fast. But they won't hold their value. Old EVs are really hard to sell.

We went through a period of dealers refusing to buy/trade in EVs and it's starting to happen again now. So if you have a used one and you try to trade it in, you might have problems getting rid of it.

Last edited:
its not missleading at all..... the 0-60 time is the 0-60 time.

if people assume automatically a car with a 5s 0-60 automatically means it has a top speed of 155mph for instance... that is on them.

The biggest party trick an EV has imo is that i can drive to my parents, 200 miles away, and drive home again and the total round trip costs me £10

that is a hell of a party trick imo

I can't drive home again :(

At least not for 16 hours from theirs.

At some point, a pensioner will destroy a supermarket by mistaking the accelerator for the brake pedal.
I have unfortunately seen a pensioner start a car that was in gear on a car dealers forecourt while stood next to it and off it went straight into two other cars :( fortunately he was ok but upset about it.

I think the message here is that with great power comes great responsibility!

Personally power is less important than getting the fizzy feeling of enjoying the car. I had a 2018 Audi TT 1.8, the most powerful and fast car I have had but the power was not as fun coming in too smoothly and making you want extra. The biggest issue was that it was simply to capable in the grip department, I never got a good driving feel in general and you could be going far too fast before realising you might be getting to the limit. I changed it for a car it’s 110bhp and crave a bit more push and top end go but keeping the momentum and making the car lean about to make progress is actually great fun, if only there was more steering feel and better brakes!

My trouble with this is EV should be the reset where cars are focussed on efficiency as the number one priority, less power, less weight better aero they should be taxed on efficiency with anything other then the best made hideously expensive. Instead they are just getting bigger, fatter and squarer and faster!

Your not going to get less weight when you have batteries and big motors with copper and steel solid masses.

The size of these vehicles is mostly having to package the batteries.

Hopefully technology will accelerate development of lightweight and efficient batteries. Time will tell.

Your not going to get less weight when you have batteries and big motors with copper and steel solid masses.

The size of these vehicles is mostly having to package the batteries.

Hopefully technology will accelerate development of lightweight and efficient batteries. Time will tell.
I don’t mean they should be lighter than existing cars of course that is not possible. The rules and regulations around electric cars should have been used as a reset forcing manufacturers to focus on aerodynamics, weight and efficiency as the biggest priorities. Electric cars make environmental sense, super efficient versions make even more sense!

I think that this needs splitting into two areas, effectively ICE and EV as I think the reasons behind both are very different.

I think that generally, high power ICE cars (500hp+) previously tended to be bought by two types of people - people who liked cars, liked driving and therefore drove fast, and those who wanted a fashion accessory who usually liked to show off their car at slower speeds. These two types drove differently and were generally in low enough numbers that these high power cars were rare to find and that owners had bought these for a specific reason. These things still see valid for modern ICE cars due to high cost of getting a high power car in the first place.

However, what I think were seeing now with EV's is that these high power EV cars are being seen as "normal" cars, and are therefore now being driven by a far larger number of "normal" people, those who would usually drive something like a 130hp 2L diesel company car on their commute to work every day and therefore don't really like driving that much and therefore don't really pay full attention on that commute, but their new company car is a 550hp EV or alternatively they have bought an EV for Eco reasons (again, probably not huge "car" fans). So now you've got a lot more people who aren't really "into" cars that much and yet are suddenly exposed to something only a small number of people previously had access too, and thats not a great idea for safety.

Of course I could be wrong, thats just my thoughts.

I think you're right. There's 2 issues at play

1) is the horsepower race with ICE sports cars. It wasn't that long that anything over 300 horsepower was considered quick. Now we have the new Mclaren 750S with 750bhp which is daily drivable and a pussycat to drive but can be absolutely ferocious when it wants to be. Gordon Murrary commented on this with his new T50 and T33 cars - he's not interested in chasing horsepower numbers and just wants to make the most engaging car possible for the price bracket. But the rest of the industry doesn't feel that driving enjoyment is quantifiable enough for magazine tests. The whole industry is obsessed with 0-60 as a measure of cars performance and the race to get ever lower and lower is resulting in crazy levels of horsepower.

It's got so daft that there are now road cars faster around the track than racing cars that were considered too fast and had to be banned like Group B rallying and Group C sports car racing. It seems absolutely absurd that those cars were considered too fast for their day in the hands of a skilled racing driver - but now cars just as fast or faster still are sold to the general public with no additional driving training or licensing than the basic tuition (and not even that in some states in the US!) teenagers get in their 1.0 learner cars.

2) is a companion of the problem above. Driven by similar problems of needing a way to market cars that your mate down the pub can understand , because with EVs they have a problem of people understanding performance. Everybody had a rough idea that big engine = fast car. Tell your mum that you bought at 3.0 V6 and watch her feint at the thought of driving such a big fast car - only to point out to her that it's a german executive saloon and isn't that fast.

But with EVs, there are no engine sizes for the likes of your mam or great aunt to understand. These people have no concept of KWh or BHP - it's all just techno mumbo jumbo to them. But with the race to make big numbers ell - huge (comparaitvely for commuter cars) horsepower is becoming the norm. Kia EV6 GT is a perfect case in point. Plenty of non car people just go and buy the top of the range model because it's just that - the top of the range one. The top of the range kia in the past might have had a 2.0 engine and a bit of poke - but no 500 + horse power. Far more than any of the usual red ferraris or yellow lamborghinis of the 90s and naughties that they'd visually associate with being seriously fast.

I do worry that the new car marketing industy's obsession with selling cars with ever increasingly impressive performance numbers is going to lead to too many people getting hurt, and responsible enthusiasts being the worse off for it.

Last edited:
there are enough EVs on the road now . I am no statistician but am sure there are people who have looked into it.

if EVs really are as dangerous as suggested we should be seeing an increase in speed related fatalities by now. is this the case ? (I have no idea but suspect not simply because the daily express / telegraph / mail are not revelling in such a story as they never fail to miss an anti EV story - regardless of if true or not to be honest)

But with EVs, there are no engine sizes for the likes of your mam or great aunt to understand. These people have no concept of KWh or BHP - it's all just techno mumbo jumbo to them. But with the race to make big numbers ell - huge (comparaitvely for commuter cars) horsepower is becoming the norm. Kia EV6 GT is a perfect case in point. Plenty of non car people just go and buy the top of the range model because it's just that - the top of the range one. The top of the range kia in the past might have had a 2.0 engine and a bit of poke - but no 500 + horse power. Far more than any of the usual red ferraris or yellow lamborghinis of the 90s and naughties that they'd visually associate with being seriously fast.
or, full techno ? could just tell customers irrespective of the power if it weighs 2.2T 50% more, at the first order it will go round the apex of a bend 20% slower, physics is a bitch;
so some passive safety loss, ncap doesn't review that afaik.

You still don't see a huge amount of EVs in rural areas and small towns, it's mostly city folk who own them.

I live in a tiny rural village (no street lights or shops, 400 residents), and there are a huge number of EVs relative to the population size! Even just in the houses near me, only one of the 5 nearest houses to me don't have an EV.

You still don't see a huge amount of EVs in rural areas and small towns, it's mostly city folk who own them.
I missed this nugget 1st time around but, I can speak from experience....... This is so not true. That said i agree there is a very uneven density of EVs spread over the country. its not a city / village thing..... in the past it was likely an affluence thing as EVs were expensive but that should be changing now.. Perhaps there is a mathematical equation for the relation of the density of EVs in an area compared to the density of "gammons" :D .... however more serious....- its arguably easier to own an EV in a village.

who charges their car at public charge points within 20 miles of their home if they have their own driveway? and it is cities, not rural areas where people tend not to have their own driveways.

my parents live in the sticks, and there is no DC charging within at least 7 miles of them and yet half the people down their road have an EV, and if my parents get another car it will be an EV i think...... (I keep mentioning the Cupra Born to them as well as the Renault 5 in passing)

on the flip side in a city if you live in a highrise block of flats, i could imagine that would be more of a barrier if you are going to rely on public charging.... tho i believe london is (as usual) better off than most in this regard.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t waste your time replying with more than a sentence to masher. He never acknowledges anything and will just pick another angle to hate cars he can’t afford

I still don't see that many EVs out here in rural Somerset when driving, but my neighbour own BMW iX series, several of the richer people in the village have Teslas or Audi EVs - when people first started buying them and putting in home chargers it was causing some issues with the mains supply in the village at peak times but not seen that for months now to (so I assume they upgraded something at some point).

Even when around the bigger towns though out here EVs are a tiny minority - I did an hour driving the other day passing 100s of cars and saw one Polestar and one Hyundai Ioniq 5 - maybe 1-2 others I missed but that was about it.

Last edited:
I would be interested to know why some areas have more EVs than others.... there likely is a reason - money is the obvious one but then i (totally guessing) would have thought there is plenty of money around rural Somerset.
if your grid was that on the edge i suppose that is a legitimate cause for concern.... but surely that is a "your village" issue which really needs to be fixed by whoever your local electricity board is (people getting heatpumps presumably will cause issues too)

but what ever the reason it isnt because EVs dont work in rural areas and are better for cities.

funnily enough a lass in my team is from Somerset and she has always been an incredibly vocal anti EV person, convinced the infrastructure is not good enough, that the range is no good and that the batteries are junk after 5 years........

her husband bought a model 3 a couple of months back and i have enjoyed (in a friendly way) ribbing her since...

is there a politics reason perhaps? i dont know Somerset but are the local media more anti EV than elsewhere? ... or is there an absolute lack of any DC charging within 50 miles of your village? sorry i am doing a bit of random conjecture without anything to back up which i know is a dangerous thing to do here........ There will be a reason however.

Last edited:
people getting heatpumps presumably will cause issues too

Actually a good point - just before we moved here and just before people started buying EVs locally there was some scheme to install heatpumps in the area so quite a few in the village had them installed around the same time - most people weren't that taken with the results though.

is there a politics reason perhaps? i dont know Somerset but are the local media more anti EV than elsewhere? ... or is there an absolute lack of any DC charging within 50 miles of your village? sorry i am doing a bit of random conjecture without anything to back up which i know is a dangerous thing to do here........ There will be a reason however.

Touching on the part about the lass in your team as well, the infrastructure could be better, range comes into play out where I live though despite most properties here having no problems with having home chargers as most have proper drives and so on - but you do eat a chunk of range before you even start to get anywhere. I know plenty of people who do own them (money generally isn't a big issue around here - people like Sean Bean have houses locally) but they don't make up a huge ratio of the traffic.

Last edited:
The acceleration of the quicker EVs certainly catches people out. The place I see it most is on the motorway / dual carriage way, normally at slip roads.

You always get cars doing the straight to lane 2 / 3 trick off the slip road but people aren't allowing for the fact that that pretty mundane looking car a couple of vehicles back that is heading straight to lane 2 that they will nail it and get out in front of is actually something like a Model 3 Performance. By the time they start to move over its already up to cruising speed and in their blind spot.

It's not like it's happening all the time and ultimately the never ending performance arms race combined with greater EV adoption will level the playing field a bit.

Back
Top Bottom