Are cars getting too fast?

Man of Honour
Probably because they were trying to use them like a gas boiler and yo-yoing their temperature up and down based on when they are in the room or not.

Part of the problem but the geography of the area (on the edge of the Blackmore Vale) doesn't help in that regard with fairly rapid temperature changes compared to a built up area. But also installation coincided with oil prices dropping out and then massive increases to electricity costs - most people with air source reckon they are worse off (they also look ugly with the nature of the area), though those with ground source seem happy enough.

I wonder if this just isn't a good area for air source due to the geography compared to a built up area which holds more heat.

Last edited:
Associate
I do think it is interesting to consider where it will go from here. In 10 years will 1000hp be the norm? Surely it must end at some point...

Soldato
I do think it is interesting to consider where it will go from here. In 10 years will 1000hp be the norm? Surely it must end at some point...
i think we will see "entry" level spec for most family cars settle around the 6 second 0-60 mark, but then with bonkers edition cars (like the new ionic 5) with high performance or extra "gimmicks".

note i use "gimmicks" but to be clear i have completely changed my view on that new ionic 5. initially i thought it was stupid having fake gears and engine noise, however on reflection, and seeing how much fun people are having driving it, I realise i needed to get the stick out of my ass.... who cares if its fake.... i spent a (relative) fortune building an arcade cabinet and emulating old 1990s videogames.... how is an EV emulating a semi auto ICE car any different?

if people want a car which drives like a flappy semi auto ICE, then it does zero harm to offer it and as it is software i would have no issue with it being added as a setting in more cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
wasn't there some craic years ago when the Leaf came out about having/making the cars make some sort of noise to warn pedestrians etc? i seem to remember something about someone making their car sound like a TIE fighter, but that may have been apocryphal.

Soldato
wasn't there some craic years ago when the Leaf came out about having/making the cars make some sort of noise to warn pedestrians etc? i seem to remember something about someone making their car sound like a TIE fighter, but that may have been apocryphal.
i think (dont hold me to it) EVs were forced to make some sort of noise at low speed from around 2018 onwards.....
That is the cool thing about EVs, you can in theory make them sound however you want.

Last edited:
Soldato
i think (dont hold me to it) EVs were forced to make some sort of noise at low speed from around 2018 onwards.....
That is the cool thing about EVs, you can in theory make them sound however you want.
Most of them sound like a milk float or a washing machine though because they can't be changed.
I really don't understand the thinking behind choosing these sounds..

Last edited:
Soldato
Most of them sound like a milk float or a washing machine though because they can't be changed.
I really don't understand the thinking behind choosing these sounds..
i like the sound both of ours makes (if anything our i3 is a bit too quiet for pedestrians, you can sneak up on people)...... Teslas have a very distinctive noise as well

Last edited:
Associate
A good friend of mine, his son a couple of months ago totally smashed up a brand new 120bhp Golf on a country lane "doing 60mph" with 3 people onboard, only the driver wasn't injured, 1 of the passengers ended up in intensive care with life changing injuries, the driver passed his test 2 days before the crash. Police are investigating it. Just shows even 120bhp in inexperienced hands can be bad news. I think new drivers should be limited to less than 90bhp or something, can't take passengers until they've been driving a year (I know this sounds harsh) but I know how a few youngsters in a car egg each other on. You can't get on a high powered motorbike straightaway so why can it happen with cars?

Soldato
I remember the passenger thing being considered a few years ago, not sure how far it went.

Even in something with 90hp the crash could have been the same. If they screw up a corner so badly they fly off the road.

Last edited:
Associate
I remember the passenger thing being considered a few years ago, not sure how far it went.

Even in something with 90hp the crash could have been the same. If they screw up a corner so badly they fly off the road.
He lost it on a long straight, but there were big undulations in the road, a bit like being on a rollercoaster.

Last edited:
Soldato
sounds like our local fen roads continually subsiding - can easily bottom out the car - hmmh : a reason to get an SUV.

Down to the insurance companies to produce a policy requiring youngsters to be on their own during curfew hours isn't it ? or is legislation required;
black boxes are down to insurance companies.

( Most of them sound like a milk float : tesla with external speaker could you have an ice cream van tune )

Man of Honour
sounds like our local fen roads continually subsiding - can easily bottom out the car - hmmh : a reason to get an SUV.

Down to the insurance companies to produce a policy requiring youngsters to be on their own during curfew hours isn't it ? or is legislation required;
black boxes are down to insurance companies.

( Most of them sound like a milk float : tesla with external speaker could you have an ice cream van tune )
New drivers in NI have restrictions, nothing to do with insurance it's the law. Not sure what Tesla's have to do with anything

Soldato
We all know you can crash in a car with 90bhp, but I'd bet quite a lot of money that the *generalised* trend is that, in a 17-20 year old's hands, the lower the powered car, the less serious single vehicle accidents are.

Soldato
We all know you can crash in a car with 90bhp, but I'd bet quite a lot of money that the *generalised* trend is that, in a 17-20 year old's hands, the lower the powered car, the less serious single vehicle accidents are.
Mandatory use of a Citroën 2cv then. Mind you those skinny tyres:eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom