• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are the GTX 970's & 980's already the best GPU's ever made?

Mobster
Soldato
GTX 970:
Power consumption is much better than the 290P and the 780
@ 1080P / 1440P the performance is about the same as a 290P / 780.
@ 4K the 290P has the edge.
290P has better multi GPU Scaling.
970 is £50 more expensive than a 290P

GTX 980:
Power consumption is again much than the 290X, and 780TI.
@ 1080P / 1440P the performance is 10% faster than a 290X, 5% faster than an 780TI
GTX 980 is £170 more expensive than a 290X.

The clock for clock performance is actually about the same as the cards they replaced, they just run higher clock rates.

The die size (400mm^2) is also the same relative to GK110, actually the 970 is much larger than the 770, 100mm^2 larger.

This, Nvidia have their new GPU's out before AMD, AMD's 7970 was 30% faster than the GTX 580 and used less power, it took about 4 or 5 Months for Nvidia to bring out a competitor to it.
Does that mean the 7970 was at the time the best GPU ever made?

Maxwell is not any faster than Kepler, its not any smaller, yes it does use a lot less power.

It has one aspect of improvement on its predecessor, all others its no change, and it is expensive compared with the competition.

AMD have yet to bring out their new architecture, why not wait for that before declaring "the best GPU ever made"
Personally, while it is a good thing, i don't think reducing the power consumption makes it all that. :)

That's a typical AMD fanboy response, which no-one expects anything different from you.

Tell me, just out of interest, what was the price of a 290x when the GTX980 was first released and what was the price of the GTX 980 ? That's before AMD **** themselves and reduced their prices by a huge margin just so that 2 or 3 people still bought them, not after.

Permabanned
GTX 970:
Power consumption is much better than the 290P and the 780
@ 1080P / 1440P the performance is about the same as a 290P / 780.
@ 4K the 290P has the edge.
290P has better multi GPU Scaling.
970 is £50 more expensive than a 290P

GTX 980:
Power consumption is again much than the 290X, and 780TI.
@ 1080P / 1440P the performance is 10% faster than a 290X, 5% faster than an 780TI
GTX 980 is £170 more expensive than a 290X.

The clock for clock performance is actually about the same as the cards they replaced, they just run higher clock rates.

The die size (400mm^2) is also the same relative to GK110, actually the 970 is much larger than the 770, 100mm^2 larger.

This, Nvidia have their new GPU's out before AMD, AMD's 7970 was 30% faster than the GTX 580 and used less power, it took about 4 or 5 Months for Nvidia to bring out a competitor to it.
Does that mean the 7970 was at the time the best GPU ever made?

Maxwell is not any faster than Kepler, its not any smaller, yes it does use a lot less power.

It has one aspect of improvement on its predecessor, all others its no change, and it is expensive compared with the competition.

AMD have yet to bring out their new architecture, why not wait for that before declaring "the best GPU ever made"
Personally, while it is a good thing, i don't think reducing the power consumption makes it all that. :)

I came from a water cooled 1250Mhz ( A big 25% overclock ) 290 and the 970 is far the superior GPU!

Associate
loved my 8800gtx, it was a massive performance increase over previous gen and lasted ages. I'd say that gets my vote.

970/980 don't offer a decent enough performance increase over last gen. Lower power is alright but nothing that excites me. They might be the fastest cards out at the moment but that does not earn them the title 'best GPU's ever made' by a long shot.

Is there a way to block someone so you don't have to see their posts anymore? There's someone in this thread who persistently posts crap fanboy garbage and never has anything constructive to offer and frankly i'm sick of seeing his posts in this sub section. (there will be no finger pointing nor will i say which side he bats for)

Soldato
Possibly, i wasn't expecting them to perform as they do and knowing that they're just the midrange of Maxwell it damn cool. Though the longer AMD take with their offering, the longer nVidia are going to wait to release the higher tier Maxwells.

As for best card (as it's 2 GPUs), down to overall experience with a graphics card, the GTX690 takes the crown for me. Which is kind of annoying, i don't think i want to sell it, which means i'll have to front more money for the GTX 990 (Or SLI GTX 970s/980s, depending on the existence of aforementioned GTX 990)

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a way to block someone so you don't have to see their posts anymore? There's someone in this thread who persistently posts crap fanboy garbage and never has anything constructive to offer and frankly i'm sick of seeing his posts in this sub section. (there will be no finger pointing nor will i say which side he bats for)

Click on the person's name, select "View Public Profile". On the next page, just under their name, click the "User lists" dropdown and there's your "Add to Ignore List". Not used it myself but I sometimes wonder if adding 2 particular people to it would make some of the more painful GPU section threads readable! :D

EDIT - Or click the "User CP" in the banner at the top of the forum, then click "Edit Ignore List" on the left and you get a box to add a member to your ignore list.

Soldato
I don't know about best ever but they are definitely up there, I have been gaming on PC since the late 80's and the are very few times like this I can remember, the 9700PRO and 8800GTX eras come to mind, but I would say this is every bit as good as them.

No doubt the 980 and 970 are good but imo i dont think they qualify for legend status like the mighty 8800 gtx

Take off the rose tinted glasses, the GTX980 cost the same at launch as the 8800GTX (so it's cheaper accounting for inflation) and it's performance compared to the previous gen is pretty similar.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Good cards but not the best ever made.

I'd actually regard the original Titan as one of the best cards ever made for the build quality, performance it still holds 2 years later, currently one of the only cards that can do 4k properly. People will look at the price but when judging something on the best ever made that isn't a factor in my opinion.

Soldato
Good cards but not the best ever made.

I'd actually regard the original Titan as one of the best cards ever made for the build quality, performance it still holds 2 years later, currently one of the only cards that can do 4k properly. People will look at the price but when judging something on the best ever made that isn't a factor in my opinion.

With that logic, i would say the Titan Z is the best card ever, given the VRAM it has good 4K potential in a single card.

But suppose that can't come under best GPU, as it has 2.

Back
Top Bottom