• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are the GTX 970's & 980's already the best GPU's ever made?

Soldato
The delusion surrounding these cards is truly baffling.

I think I know Nvidia's secret.

They know that "features" are way more marketable than tech specs, which AMD rely more on to sell their cards. So they accompany a new release with a massive barrage of propaganda about "moon landing proven by nvidya omg" and DSR and all the rest of it, dumbing it down just enough for the casual audience to think they understand it and thus repeat it to other people. Hence record sales.

And this is why they call themselves a software company.

Last edited:
Soldato
james.miller said:
are you saying the 8800gtx performed similarly to the 7800gtx?
No I'm saying it beat it, even when it was in SLI, and that the performance difference between a GTX980 and a GTX690 is ~ the same as a 8800GTX and 7950GX2. In fact the performance advantage of the GTX980 over it's predecessors is (like the 8800GTX) much bigger than that of the 9700 PRO (another card lauded for being a landmark performer).

Orangey said:
Maybe you didn't hear but Nvidia released a series of cards in between the 690 and 980.
Exactly and it beat those too so it's even better than the 8800GTX was.

The 8800gtx traded blows with the 7950gx2. Won some, lost some. The gx2 of course being a dual gpu card (dual 7900 to be exact, two full gpus on two pcbs in one card). Tell me, what's the 980gtx like up against a pair of 780ti's?

You're getting confused somewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
What better card to use as an example to school some people here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

considering that's on a bench with no case, that's absolutely nothing compared to mine. I'll get a recording of it later, its comedy. Mine is in a case, fractal r4 so pretty quiet sound deadening case, and it's louder than the system fans. I'm not joking, i sit 10 feet away from my case and it's still obtrusively loud.

Soldato
The 9xx series so far are unquestionably great graphics cards, if only for their power efficiency alone, but among the greatest...? I'm not so sure.

I would argue that the Titan was better. 2 years after its release it's still the go-to card for 4K gaming! Sure, the 980 (and 290X) trump it in some measurements, but they're both newer cards.

As for other candidates for greatness:
Voodoo II
GeForce 256 DDR
9800Pro
8800GTX

..those are cards that jump out for me.

Soldato
The 8800gtx traded blows with the 7950gx2. Won some, lost some. The gx2 of course being a dual gpu card (dual 7900 to be exact, two full gpus on two pcbs in one card). Tell me, what's the 980gtx like up against a pair of 780ti's?

You're getting confused somewhere.

You're trying to compare apples to oranges, the 780's were roided up supercards that appeared between the 600 and 900 series, the was no equivalent between the 7000 and 8000 series, this is an easy mistake to make as the Titan/700/290 escalation scenario is a unique phenomenon in GPU history.

Compared to the 8800GTX the perfect comparison is the GTX980/GTX690 & 8800GTX/7950GX2, and in that comparison the GTX980 wins, it is cheaper than the 8800GTX and performs just as well against it's predecessors.

Another card that gets remembered fondly for it's impact is the 9700PRO, in this case it's even more blatant as the performance difference between the 980 and a 780ti or 290X is significantly bigger than the advantage the 9700PRO had over the 4600ti (granted it is slightly more expensive but it evens out).

Last edited:
Associate
greatness of a gpu can only be measured retrospectively against their longevity/how well they stood up to discrete jumps in software requirements. Certainly there are more GPU releases now than (lightly) changing software requirements would suggest is necessary . GPU Hardware seems to be lasting a long (er)time - making it more important to choose wisely.

the challenge; it requires the wisdom of Solomon to know which tech to jump on, as predicting the future is notoriously tricky.

therefore when judging greatness we fall back on, ancillary factors/indicators like performance in relation to the previous generation.

Is anyone informed to know whether the 970 is great at running games of a generation of software requirements which is likely to come to end soon (or not)? DX11 has been out along time, and DX12 is on horizon. Conversely if the conspiracy theorists are to be believed the console marketeers are artificially constraining game requirements.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6754/ubisoft-digs-its-own-grave-says-30fps-looks-better-than-60fps/index.html

Knowing the latest tech is all well in good, but to me the value of these forums is to get best bang for buck and ensure the consumers come off as well as they can against the marketeers.

Back
Top Bottom