• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are the GTX 970's & 980's already the best GPU's ever made?

Soldato
@ the recent talk of ubisoft (iirc AMD's biggest mantle partner is EA...) and coil whine (which is extremely PCB/model dependent and has almost nothing to do with the actual GPU)

Wow, tell that to the irate users that get their lobe bursting gpu's returned as non faulty.:o

Rather have EA as a partner than Ubi every time, no brainer really-EA pushing the IQ v Ubi decreasing IQ.

Soldato
You're trying to compare apples to oranges, the 780's were roided up supercards that appeared between the 600 and 900 series, the was no equivalent between the 7000 and 8000 series, this is an easy mistake to make as the Titan/700/290 escalation scenario is a unique phenomenon in GPU history.

Compared to the 8800GTX the perfect comparison is the GTX980/GTX690 & 8800GTX/7950GX2, and in that comparison the GTX980 wins, it is cheaper than the 8800GTX and performs just as well against it's predecessors.

Another card that gets remembered fondly for it's impact is the 9700PRO, in this case it's even more blatant as the performance difference between the 980 and a 780ti or 290X is significantly bigger than the advantage the 9700PRO had over the 4600ti (granted it is slightly more expensive but it evens out).

Apples with oranges lol.

980gtx vs two top cards from the previous generation. 8800gtx vs two top cards (albeit in one package) from the previous generation. If you object to using 780s, use the titan then, its two years old after all. So, how does the 980gtx compare to two titans?

If you want to talk apples and apples then start doing so. My point was the 8800gtx was as fast as any two cards (single gpu) from the previous generation. The 980gtx isn't. Not compared to two 780tis, two 780s, two 290x's. Not even close. Still its a fantastic gpu, really is, but you are living in a fantasy dream if you think the gap is anything like it was with the 8800gtx.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow: just caught up on this thread. Some of the baiting in this thread from the tedious, pathetic fanboys is laughably embarrassing. The fact some of you are 40+ years old and engage in childish GPU brand mud slinging wars just makes it all the more tragic. I hope one day your children see what Daddy does on the Internet. Should be ashamed.

To me the best GPU of all time was the 6600GT :).

Soldato
Apples with oranges lol.

980gtx vs two top cards from the previous generation. 8800gtx vs two top cards (albeit in one package) from the previous generation. If you object to using 780s, use the titan then, its two years old after all. So, how does the 980gtx compare to two titans?

If you want to talk apples and apples then start doing so. My point was the 8800gtx was as fast as any two cards (single gpu) from the previous generation. The 980gtx isn't. Not compared to two 780tis, two 780s, two 290x's. Not even close. Still its a fantastic gpu, really is, but you are living in a fantasy dream if you think the gap is anything like it was with the 8800gtx.

I answered this in the post you quoted, but to expand, the issue with the 780's and Titan's is that they are unique in card progression and so cause issues comparing them to previous cards, however the is a simple solution.

Either you consider the 780's/Titan's (and the R290's their existence created) to be a tier of super cards which hasn't existed previously (or since, no new titan/780, yet) as Nvidia intended. Or you consider them the high end cards and the GTX670/680 the mid range (making the GTX580 the previous flagship), you have to choose one of these methods as any attempt at comparison while trying to consider the 680 and 780 both as high end generation flagships simply fails as comically as the idea that they are.

If you take the first method: then you simply ignore them for purpose of an apples to apples comparison, making the 980/690 comparison the same as the 8800GTX/7950GX2 comparison (which they are for all intents and purposes, this is the best way of comparing it) and showing the GTX980 to be every bit as good as the equally priced (accounting for inflation) 8800GTX.

If you on the other hand take option two: then it becomes a bit more complicated but still doable, the thing you have to factor in though is that from a performance standpoint the GTX780 IS the 8800GTX, the GTX680 (being midrange in this comparison) would be the 8600 and the GTX580 (being the previous flagship) would be the 7900/7950 (call the GTX590 the 7950GX2, that works too), the GTX980 would in this comparison be the GTX280, in which case the 980 costs less than the 280 BEFORE inflation, and the 980 beats the 780 by ~ as much as the 280 beat the 8800.

It's long winded (I did say the first method worked better) but the only way of getting a proper apples to apples comparison due to the way Nvidia messed around with the 600/700 series in the same generation.

Soldato
I answered this in the post you quoted, but to expand, the issue with the 780's and Titan's is that they are unique in card progression and so cause issues comparing them to previous cards, however the is a simple solution.

Either you consider the 780's/Titan's (and the R290's their existence created) to be a tier of super cards which hasn't existed previously (or since, no new titan/780, yet) as Nvidia intended. Or you consider them the high end cards and the GTX670/680 the mid range (making the GTX580 the previous flagship), you have to choose one of these methods as any attempt at comparison while trying to consider the 680 and 780 both as high end generation flagships simply fails as comically as the idea that they are.

nVidia took the gk104 (gtx680/690), increased the number of stream processors from 1536 to 2880, added some double precision units and gk110 Tesla was born. Titan is a gk110 with 2688 stream processors. Bar that, the design is very similar to the gk104. Its not massively removed at all, it didnt come out of nowhere. From nVidias point of view, it was a pretty natural progression, albeit one that pushed the envolope in just about every way.

If you take the first method: then you simply ignore them for purpose of an apples to apples comparison, making the 980/690 comparison the same as the 8800GTX/7950GX2 comparison (which they are for all intents and purposes, this is the best way of comparing it) and showing the GTX980 to be every bit as good as the equally priced (accounting for inflation) 8800GTX.

I don't subscribe to this viewpoint at all. If titan was such a supercard, it would be absolutely untouchable.

If you on the other hand take option two: then it becomes a bit more complicated but still doable, the thing you have to factor in though is that from a performance standpoint the GTX780 IS the 8800GTX, the GTX680 (being midrange in this comparison) would be the 8600 and the GTX580 (being the previous flagship) would be the 7900/7950 (call the GTX590 the 7950GX2, that works too), the GTX980 would in this comparison be the GTX280, in which case the 980 costs less than the 280 BEFORE inflation, and the 980 beats the 780 by ~ as much as the 280 beat the 8800.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that x card IS y card. You are correct in so far as the 780 mirrored the 8800gtx's performance increases quite well - no argument there. However, we aren't talking about 680's and 780's. we are talking about 980's and the previous gen which, being released a year earlier, makes the titan previous gen. or the 780, whatever you fancy.

Take off the rose tinted glasses, the GTX980 cost the same at launch as the 8800GTX (so it's cheaper accounting for inflation) and it's performance compared to the previous gen is pretty similar.

Either you are saying the 8800gtx performs similarly to the 7800gtx (it didnt, it was twice as fast) OR you are saying the 980gtx is twice as fast as a 780ti. or a 780. or a titan. Or a 290x (it isnt). SO which is it? either way, you are wrong because , as mentioned, there was a whole generation between the 680 and 980. You cant just ignore it.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, if I remember rightly the 9700 pro extended its lead even more when AA was applied - by 40 - 100% in some cases. That is impressive. I had a 9800se which was modded to perform to 9800pro speeds. Great card.

got i hated the 9700pro spent all that money get one and it overheated constantly as well as weak drivers. I remember when it was first released it took them a month to fix a bug where as games would stutter with any 2d application in background such as ie mirc etc. Still same driver / hardware standard today :/

Caporegime
got i hated the 9700pro spent all that money get one and it overheated constantly as well as weak drivers. I remember when it was first released it took them a month to fix a bug where as games would stutter with any 2d application in background such as ie mirc etc. Still same driver / hardware standard today :/

The same hyperbole by fans on both sides trying to put down the other back then too.

Nothing has changed.

Caporegime

Fair enough. Mileage will vary whatever the brand. :)

Soldato
I'm not going to sit here and pretend that x card IS y card. You are correct in so far as the 780 mirrored the 8800gtx's performance increases quite well - no argument there. However, we aren't talking about 680's and 780's. we are talking about 980's and the previous gen which, being released a year earlier, makes the titan previous gen. or the 780, whatever you fancy.

That's the problem though, in order to get a proper apples to apples comparison you HAVE to use one of those two methods otherwise the comparisons are incompatible due to the way the industry is now and then, you cannot class the 680 and 780 as two generations of flagships, either the 680 is midrange and the 780 high end or the 680 is high end and the 780 is on a tier above.

Either you are saying the 8800gtx performs similarly to the 7800gtx (it didnt, it was twice as fast) OR you are saying the 980gtx is twice as fast as a 780ti. or a 780. or a titan. Or a 290x (it isnt). SO which is it? either way, you are wrong because , as mentioned, there was a whole generation between the 680 and 980. You cant just ignore it.

I am saying (as I have already clarified) that the difference between the GTX980 and GTX690 are the same as the 8800GTX and 7950GX2. I have also clarified why I am ignoring the cards in between the 680 and 980, because you HAVE too in order to get a apples to apples comparison as the was no extra tier in between the 7000/8000 series. The 680/780 are not different generations of cards, either the 680 is a tarted up midrange card and the 780's/Titan's the true flagship of that generation (as we all know is true) or the 780's/Titan's are an additional tier (as Nvidia claimed).

Soldato
Titan was release a year after the 680. So they arent the same generation. 680 was nVidia's top card on release, so it wasnt midrange. It may have been relegated to mid range performance when titan was released, but by that standard every top tier card of every generation is a mid-range card, then.

...no, 680 was top end. titan was top end. 980gtx is top end. Each generation was released roughly a year apart. To ignore titan and the 780's is to bend the facts to suit your argument. I'm not playing that game.

Soldato
Maybe the 970 whine is coming from their psu's ? Radical thought, I know :D

Yea that's what i see most Nvidia users keep saying!
You sure its your 970 or 980 making that whine? Probably your PSU! Even though every other gpu has been fine deffo your PSU! :D

Not sure how the 970 whine travels to the PSU though? Through the PCI-E power cables maybe? :rolleyes:

Soldato
There seem to be a few people on here who know exactly what causes whine and how to combat it, we should have something in the sticky about it if we don't already.

Caporegime
yea i know, it was just too good a card to resist, because at the time i was really fed up with the 7990 being so hot..... so i switched cards straight away.

Yeah, the price is pretty darn good, & better than I'm sure many of us expected. Enjoy. :)

Back
Top Bottom