Are you a top revenue earner?

Caporegime
95 for both ONS and HMRC. 98 for joint income.

gigachad-chad.gif

Soldato
You are quite lucky though with that. Most couldn't afford (me inc) a seaside place without a huge salary. And even then, costs would be high.

and skeggy etc doesn't count! :D
Can't deny that when we bought in early 2000s things were easier but we still had little choice with our budget so were steered towards a 44 k 3 bed semi Yorkshire
Having said that we put in CH double glazing, decking and landscaping and a kitchen.
Paid off in under 10 years,.made ourselves homeless with cash, searched down here sleeping in an estate car, used cash for this, again very small budget so steered again .

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm happy either way, I just think it's a better indication as percentiles. I work in Cambridge, salaries are high, but the cost of living is only second to London (in some places it's worse, we have people commuting from outer zones of London to Cambridge).
i also live just outside of Cambridge (I work in Duxford) which means my salary is a lot less in terms of actual quality of life than if i was earning the same back home.

however where i do well is

1) i only work 90% FTE, i take a 10% hit to salary but only work 4 days a week........ for work life balance losing £400 a month is a small price to pay to get a bunch of crap done on a friday giving me more weekend family time.
2) I am not a primary earner.... my wife earns the same (actually a few K more) than me, so this allows the tax burden to be shared.... we are far better off than if i earned lets say £80k and my wife earned £20K.
3) we own our property outright. In part i bought at a good time, but also for years i saved and penny pinched every spare bit of cash to pay the house off when interest rates were really low..... also not quite so good my uncle died and left me enough cash to pay the last bit off.......... but with no mortgage you can get by with a lot less.

that said our quality of life has............. changed ............... significantly since having a child... now instead of putting a load of wedge into a mortgage we are putting it into savings accounts for our son.

still planning on retiring at 60! and saving as much as i can to make it so.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Not that house. But if I don't emigrate this will likely be my next stop. (not that house lol).
Somewhere around Swansea. Probably not on the coast. But more inland

Main condition is detached.
i love Wales.................. North Wales is what i know (i am from just outside of Chester) but South wales somewhere like Rhossili looks lovely. House prices there have over doubled in 10 years however. What used to be affordable is now half a million quid.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not that house. But if I don't emigrate this will likely be my next stop. (not that house lol).
Somewhere around Swansea. Probably not on the coast. But more inland

Main condition is detached.
My bro in law is from Swansea, he would love to return there from Yorkshire.
Unneeded info, he was kids entertainer at Barry island Butlins, my sis a nanny
Amazing coast I believe

Caporegime
i love Wales.................. North Wales is what i know (i am from just outside of Chester) but South wales somewhere like Rhossili looks lovely. House prices there have over doubled in 10 years however. What used to be affordable is now half a million quid.

Rhosilli bay is my favourite place on south Wales coast. Alas. It's too expensive round there.
Aberystwyth would be my choice. But I think it's too remote for my partner

As you say. Desirable coastal villages are just too expensive now. I expect there will be some bargain around port talbot with the huge job losses.. But that's not the sort of coastal town you want!

Caporegime
My bro in law is from Swansea, he would love to return there from Yorkshire.
Unneeded info, he was kids entertainer at Barry island Butlins, my sis a nanny
Amazing coast I believe
The gower is a lovely area. A ***** to get to as from Cardiff way you drive through Swansea!
But lovely for a weekend.

Back
Top Bottom