Are you doing anything with Hue?

Soldato
Bloody hell if you'd said that 2 days earlier... I bought one of the prime day ones and just sent it back because the power brick is too deep to sit behind the TV where I have it mounted on the wall.

Associate
Just wondering with the Hue Entertainment feature, am i right in thinking if i install it on an old notebook i've got and plug it into my tv via hdmi. Would this then work as it should regarding syncing tv content with my lights?

Soldato
Just wondering with the Hue Entertainment feature, am i right in thinking if i install it on an old notebook i've got and plug it into my tv via hdmi. Would this then work as it should regarding syncing tv content with my lights?

As far as I understand it it will sync with content played through the laptop, not sky etc.

Please tell me if I'm wrong as I'd love to get my lightstrip doing this!

Associate
I'll give it a go tonight, worth a shot. Thing is unless they release the app for each tv brand and model to work, how many people are going to use this running through a separate pc along with Netflix etc just have it sync? Seems like a lot of effort and surely they could get it working for PS4/Xbox as an easier way of doing it.

Soldato
There is offers in hue at the moment,3for2 just grabbed 12xE14 for the living room and bedroom ceiling lights,also got 4xGU 10 for the kitchen.

Nearly finished getting all the bulbs now.
Got 6x B22 in 5 lamps
8x E14 in ceiling lights
Philips bloom behind the TV.

Want some led strips for TV I think.

Total cost with 3x Amazon echo is £1000 !!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Took advantage of that for some E14 bulbs, upto 17 bulbs now with about 8 being colour two of which are in outdoor light fittings, need to buy the rest will be just under the 50 bulb limit when done though i will probably run into signal range issues.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

I've currently got Tradfri bulbs with the Hue bridge but it's annoying they don't dim as low as the Hue ones do, and it's annoying the Hue ones aren't as bright as the Tradfi ones. I'm half wondering whether I should just sell them on and switch to Hue bulbs. Can anyone help convince me either way? :p

I do need some remotes though, looking at the prices:

Hue White ambiance light Recipe Kit (1x dimmer, 1x white ambience bulb): £29.99
1x Dimmer switch: £17.99

It kind of makes sense to pay £12 extra and get a cheap bulb at the same time, hmm.

Soldato
I can't fault the hue bulbs personally.

Before I got the ceiling ones over the last few days I used the hue bulbs for ambient light for night time,I hardly ever ever turn in the ceiling lights in the bedroom and living room,the ceiling ones I have now got (hue) are bright enough for anything to be honest (I have 5 in the living room light and 3 in the bedroom ceiling light) and don't need anything brighter.

Once the GU10 turn up next week I'll see how they are but I'm sure they are more than bright enough.

I like soft light and the hue give that 100% and love them.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I can't fault the hue bulbs personally.

Before I got the ceiling ones over the last few days I used the hue bulbs for ambient light for night time,I hardly ever ever turn in the ceiling lights in the bedroom and living room,the ceiling ones I have now got (hue) are bright enough for anything to be honest (I have 5 in the living room light and 3 in the bedroom ceiling light) and don't need anything brighter.

Once the GU10 turn up next week I'll see how they are but I'm sure they are more than bright enough.

I like soft light and the hue give that 100% and love them.

Soft light when watching TV or something is exactly what I'm after. Tradfri's in floor lamps will do that but in ceiling lights they're just slightly too bright. Probably doesn't help I keep staring at them wishing they'd dim more! I do like the subtle effects you can get with apps like Hue Essentials where you can simulate a flicking candle etc.

I can't get my head around the best way of organising the remotes. I.e., do I just put one at the top of the stairs and program it to allow switching to control both the landing and bathroom or do I not scrimp and buy two.

Soldato
Soft light when watching TV or something is exactly what I'm after. Tradfri's in floor lamps will do that but in ceiling lights they're just slightly too bright. Probably doesn't help I keep staring at them wishing they'd dim more! I do like the subtle effects you can get with apps like Hue Essentials where you can simulate a flicking candle etc.

I can't get my head around the best way of organising the remotes. I.e., do I just put one at the top of the stairs and program it to allow switching to control both the landing and bathroom or do I not scrimp and buy two.
Buy 2,if you don't need one then send it back :)

Back
Top Bottom