Are you doing anything with Hue?

Soldato
I tried Hue Disco last night and there didn't seem to be an option in it just to cycle through colours. It flashed and changed but didn't change to the colours I wanted and seemed a bit hit and miss.

Caporegime
Weird, my missus asked me exactly the same thing yesterday. Is there something I should know?! :p
Ha. Unfortunately it’s only due to it being Christmas.

Logitech harmony elite arrived yesterday anyway so been playing with that. My old 700 was getting on a bit and frustrating to use. Got a free hive plug today too from the British Gas offers so all coming together

Soldato
Ha. Unfortunately it’s only due to it being Christmas.

Logitech harmony elite arrived yesterday anyway so been playing with that. My old 700 was getting on a bit and frustrating to use. Got a free hive plug today too from the British Gas offers so all coming together

I might be able to add it to my hue web app thing. Unsure if it would need the website running to trigger it continuously though.

How often would you like it to flip between the colours? Also would you want it for specific lights or a room?

Caporegime
Hi. Would just be a lamp going between green and red every 10-15seconds

Got the hive active plug free from British Gas. Rather pointless as it need some the hive hub or thermostat. Not sure why they give it free unless they hope you buy a hive from them. I was hoping the hue hub or Logitech hub could have controlled it

Soldato
Anyone use Hue with Nest cameras?

I've been trying to set it up so that the light on my front porch will come on when one of my cameras spots motion. But i can only seem to find things where it'll turn the lights on, but no mention of how long they stay on for before they get turned off again.

I've also tried creating something myself in IFTTT but can't seem to find many settings to customise it well enough.

Soldato
Anyone use Hue with Nest cameras?

I've been trying to set it up so that the light on my front porch will come on when one of my cameras spots motion. But i can only seem to find things where it'll turn the lights on, but no mention of how long they stay on for before they get turned off again.

I've also tried creating something myself in IFTTT but can't seem to find many settings to customise it well enough.
A friend has just done the same as what you want, he ended up using 'stringify' within IFTTT to achieve this.

Soldato
Looking at the new "Philips Hue Play Wall Entertainment" for my gaming room to go behind my 43" monitor, will one provide enough light to use with Hue Sync, or better off with 2 assuming can find a twin pack in stock?

Or for the price of one of the Hue Play bars can get the lighting strip kit, which would be best option?

Soldato
Hi. Would just be a lamp going between green and red every 10-15seconds

Got the hive active plug free from British Gas. Rather pointless as it need some the hive hub or thermostat. Not sure why they give it free unless they hope you buy a hive from them. I was hoping the hue hub or Logitech hub could have controlled it

Likewise, just a strip light slowly cycling through the red and green.

I've added the ability to hit a button to add a schedule to flip between green and red every 15 seconds to my page: http://huetest.azurewebsites.net

You'll need to give it your hub IP and API key if you've not already done that. you'll have to work out your hue hub IP address on your network. My router page showed me mine.

Once you have the hub IP go to http://huetest.azurewebsites.net/genapi.html and follow the instructions to generate the API data. This is saved as a local cookie, I am not storing anything, nor would I have much use for it even if I did as your hub IP is a local range.

This will work either on a whole group at once, or you can just hit the button for a single light of your choice. The green Bell icon will do it, sorry could not find a better icon to use in the material icons I am using.

You can delete all of the Festive light config globally by hitting the big "Delete Festive Lights" button at the very top of the page. The lights will remain on the last colour used though.

This does not require the page to be open to operate, the configuration is saved as a recurring schedule on the Hub itself.

At the moment I have not allowed the user to configure the frequency, or any transition speed effects, but it may not be impossible to do something with this. Just easier not to :D

There is a nuance around how the schedules work though, and this largely boils down to how I can issue a command to set something to change on a schedule, but I can't tell it when to start. As such the page has to wait for the desired interval before issuing the 2nd colour to switch to. This is largely using Javascript which doesn't have a wait/sleep function built natively into it. Kind of annoying but I've had to work around it. TLDR version of this sentence: If you hit the button to add festive lights you'll need to keep the page open for 15 seconds more at least so it has time to chill and add the alternative colour switching schedule.

I basically have to tell it to have a 30 second recurrence but to start 15 seconds apart from eachother.

Let me know how you get on? :)

Man of Honour
Can someone recommend a Hue ceiling light for a living room? I need a pair and would ideally like one which can change colours.

Caporegime
I just got the Hue Cher semi flush. Brightest at 3000 lumens. Not sure why u want a ceiling light to change colours

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm not sure if I want a flush one or not for the living room. There also seems to be numerous options, between £120 or so and £160 which appear to do the same job.

Just for setting the colour in the room depending what's on the TV, but I'll just connect my light strip up again.

Caporegime
I've added the ability to hit a button to add a schedule to flip between green and red every 15 seconds to my page: http://huetest.azurewebsites.net

You'll need to give it your hub IP and API key if you've not already done that. you'll have to work out your hue hub IP address on your network. My router page showed me mine.

Once you have the hub IP go to http://huetest.azurewebsites.net/genapi.html and follow the instructions to generate the API data. This is saved as a local cookie, I am not storing anything, nor would I have much use for it even if I did as your hub IP is a local range.

This will work either on a whole group at once, or you can just hit the button for a single light of your choice. The green Bell icon will do it, sorry could not find a better icon to use in the material icons I am using.

You can delete all of the Festive light config globally by hitting the big "Delete Festive Lights" button at the very top of the page. The lights will remain on the last colour used though.

This does not require the page to be open to operate, the configuration is saved as a recurring schedule on the Hub itself.

At the moment I have not allowed the user to configure the frequency, or any transition speed effects, but it may not be impossible to do something with this. Just easier not to :D

There is a nuance around how the schedules work though, and this largely boils down to how I can issue a command to set something to change on a schedule, but I can't tell it when to start. As such the page has to wait for the desired interval before issuing the 2nd colour to switch to. This is largely using Javascript which doesn't have a wait/sleep function built natively into it. Kind of annoying but I've had to work around it. TLDR version of this sentence: If you hit the button to add festive lights you'll need to keep the page open for 15 seconds more at least so it has time to chill and add the alternative colour switching schedule.

I basically have to tell it to have a 30 second recurrence but to start 15 seconds apart from eachother.

Let me know how you get on? :)

Thanks will have a look later.

Back
Top Bottom