Are you doing anything with Hue?

Soldato
Or.... smartthings. I have that everywhere, infinitely controllable.

I have different sensors controlling different configurations of lights at different times of the day. Love it. In fact the only thing it won't do is sunrise and sunset which is weird but hardly an issue, it just means twice a year I have to tweak the on/off times a little which is nothing of a job, takes seconds.

Soldato
I would definitely recommend white ambience over just white though, let's you fine tune the white setting, costs about twice as much though.

For the kitchen, I really don't think I'll be bothered by the white temperature. I didn't realise, but John Lewis do a two pack bundle of the two pack bulb, so 4 x GU10 bulbs for about £34. I've taken the plunge, plus a motion sensor. Thanks for the help guys.

Soldato
White temp I'd say is super important, the difference between cold and warm white is incredible.

Colour.. meh, I guess if that floats your boat.. but cold to warm white is the difference between a cost house or something that looks like an office or something full of christmas lights :)

Soldato
but cold to warm white is the difference between a cost house or something that looks like an office or something full of christmas lights :)

Yes, and if it was my living room or bedroom I'd want it to be controllable and exactly where I want it, but in the kitchen, I just want to see what I'm doing. I've not had control before and at no point have I ever thought I needed it in there :)

Soldato
Is there a saving? I hear what you're saying and maybe we're just different but I personally find the switch from warm to cold fundamentally changes a room, as much as a colour change.

Soldato
i don't know. You said they were twice as expensive. That wasn't even really in my considerations. I'm hoping they are quite cold, bright white like standard LED's. If not, maybe I'd change them at some point, but as I said, I've not felt the need to adjust them from whatever standard bulbs come as.

Soldato
i don't know. You said they were twice as expensive. That wasn't even really in my considerations. I'm hoping they are quite cold, bright white like standard LED's. If not, maybe I'd change them at some point, but as I said, I've not felt the need to adjust them from whatever standard bulbs come as.

Getting confused here, you mean the colour change ones are twice as expensive? That's true.. normally the white only do the colour temp anyway so I'd be surprised actually if any philips hue white bulbs didn't do the warm to cold thing, you don't need the colour ones for white temp, those are for if you want red and green etc etc

Soldato
Getting confused here, you mean the colour change ones are twice as expensive? That's true.. normally the white only do the colour temp anyway so I'd be surprised actually if any philips hue white bulbs didn't do the warm to cold thing, you don't need the colour ones for white temp, those are for if you want red and green etc etc

Sorry, someone had said don't get just get white -

I would definitely recommend white ambience over just white though, let's you fine tune the white setting, costs about twice as much though.

My bad, I was referring to that, that I wasn't overly bothered about changing white temperature. I ordered this if it helps.

Soldato

Says Warm White right on the front of the box, they'll probably be a warmer colour temp.

Soldato
I don't understand if these just unlock capabilities on the hue hub, which runs the routines nonetheless, or,
if the app is running/scheduling from its host (phone/PI), so the hue hub has to be available for the app to connect too, all the time. ?
They store the routines directly on the Hub.

Has anyone gone for a smarthing hubs for hue bulbs ?
after reading this reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Hue/comments/4li7ig/35_bulbs_15_switches_3_taps_not_enough_memory_on/

Depending on the app you are using to configure your switches you may run out of rule space before getting all 15 of them programmed. You can see how many rules are in use on your bridge with my Hue Lights app, http://huelights.com. Tap "Settings" => "Bridge Information" to see your current bridge resource utilization.

You should be able to add 15 switches, but the functions per button will be limited. For example, my app could create 4 rules per switch as a bare minimum. With the extra rules you could add some short-press and long-press rules; these use up 2 rules per button. A brightness button uses 3 rules (start, hold, release).

the flash on the smarthing3 1st versus hue hub 2.0, looks night and day
CPU1: NXP MCIMX6Y1 (500 MHz)
FLA1: 4 GiB (Samsung KLM4G1FEPD)
RAM1: 128 MiB (Samsung K4B1G1646)

CPU1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA4531 (650 MHz)
FLA1: 128 MiB (Winbond W25N01GVZEIG)
RAM1: 64 MiB (Winbond W9751G6KB-25)

and I would hope smarthing has a better chance of using tradfri switches, with hue bulbs

Soldato
My motion detectors seem not to work directly after the lights time out. Has anyone else noticed this? If I walk into the room shortly after they've just gone off, they don't turn on again and I have to voice operate then back on.

Soldato
Once you have had 4000k (hue ambiance)daylight in the kitchen, or bathroom,, you won't want to back to 2700K(hue 'white') ...
food is the correct colour, as opposed to dingy yellow.

it's a pity hue doesn't do a light at the white price that is colour white.

Other brands like sengled do have 4000k smart bulbs at hue white price, but you need a smarthings hub, as opposed to a hue one.

Soldato
Has anyone gone for a smarthing hubs for hue bulbs ?
after reading this reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Hue/comments/4li7ig/35_bulbs_15_switches_3_taps_not_enough_memory_on/

xiaomi seems to have both smart switches and the magic controller (would I really use it) at a reasonable <£10 price, for hue light control
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000221403767.html
Xiaomi Aqara Mijia Magic Controller Zigbee Version Controlled by Six Actions Smart Home Security Device For Xiaomi mi home APP
6 hand gestures: Push, shake, knock, rotate, overturn 90 degree, overturn 180 degree

other folks have got them working on smarthings hub
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/home-automation-smartkit.909279/page-181
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/xiaomi_aqara

Soldato
Can I ask why you want Hue bulbs in there?
The bulbs can now be pre-set as to what they do when power cycled on/off , where I think they used to default to full brightness.

I don't think this capability is what i hoped for , I wanted to pre-set a power cycled state and then use the regular wall switch, to cut/restore the power but ...

The Power On Behavior works as follows:

Remembering its current state takes a Hue Lamp 7 Seconds.

For a Hue Lamp to not reset to its warm white default after a second turn on, it needs to be on for at least 20 seconds.

Its likely that you missed these time frames while testing, happened to me as well. It would be better if the safety reset could be disabled though...

Soldato
Anyone recommend a small Hue/zigbee compatible inline switch that can fit inside a standard 90x90 outdoor waterproof junction box? Looking to replace an existing dusk till dawn photocell sensor on my garden lights with a smart solution. Thanks

Associate
Been slowly working my way round the rooms. I got to admit, works brilliantly, albeit expensive! I did not get on with the Bluetooth app, so bought a Hub - works seamlessly now. lounge, dining room and office set up so far. Picking off the rooms one by one.

I wanted a light strip for the desk; instead bought Play bars and they are fantastic, love that they diffuse so well and no need for a strip.

Whilst the initial outlay is expensive, loving it now and will upgrade all rooms over time.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
The new light strips look fantastic. Not cheap though, you need to have the HDMI sync box too...

£160 for the strip and £230 for the sync box. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom