• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ARK: Survival, Directx 12 Patch this friday.

Associate
If you mean generally, maybe.

If you mean a-synch compute and shaders, no way. It's a UE4 game, and given that Epic are allied with NVIDIA, predictably neither are implemented in the engine, despite being the most wanted feature for the new APIs among devs. Furthermore it's a GameWorks (yet to be implemented) title, where there's no way the dev is going to implement a feature missing from the engine which their partner (NVIDIA) won't support for more than a year (and then only on their brand new cards), and which might give a large performance lead to their competitor (AMD).

Fable Legends is running on the UE4 engine and has Async Compute so the XB1 benefits so, yeah it can use it.

Associate
Fable Legends is running on the UE4 engine and has Async Compute so the XB1 benefits so, yeah it can use it.

That means that Lionhead have put it in themselves, then. Lionhead aren't partnered with NVIDIA (nor would they be as an MS studio), and they're also a much larger and more experienced developer. Also, it's DX12 only, so it makes sense for them to implement as much of the DX12 spec as possible, as it's meant to act as a showcase for MS for W10 and DX10.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate

It would be helpful if you read the contents (of the first sentence) of your link.

"The Rendering Hardware Interface (RHI) now supports asynchronous compute (AsyncCompute) for Xbox One."

Note. Not PC. They've already done the work, but they're not implementing it for PC because Epic have a partnership with NVIDIA. They'll likely switch it on for PC once Pascal launches ... as will other NVIDIA sponsored engines / devlopers, and most probably with some kind of tool that gimps or bottlenecks it if it detects GCN hardware, if past form is anything to go by.

Last edited:
Soldato
It would be helpful if you read the contents (of the first sentence) of your link.

"The Rendering Hardware Interface (RHI) now supports asynchronous compute (AsyncCompute) for Xbox One."

Note. Not PC. They've already done the work, but they're not implementing it for PC because Epic have a partnership with NVIDIA. They'll likely switch it on for PC once Pascal launches ... as will other NVIDIA sponsored engines / devlopers, and most probably with some kind of tool that gimps or bottlenecks it if it detects GCN hardware, if past form is anything to go by.

:o :(

Soldato
So it looks like the much anticipated DX12 update for this game is delayed for a long time..

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/ark-survival-evolved-dx12-renderer-delayed-performs-worse-than-dx11/

As Studio Wildcard stated:

“After we found out it was heavily dependent on drivers and the hardware vendors progress we slowed ours a bit. Its still being worked on, but we have no plans on releasing it until it at least runs betters than the DX11 version. And that is a hard thing to generate an ETA for.”

No prizes for guessing whose drivers have 'delayed' this update. Dare I say we might eventually see it when Nvidia releases a card that has proper DX12 support. Very disappointing when devs play politics.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No prizes for guessing whose drivers have 'delayed' this update. Dare I say we might eventually see it when Nvidia releases a card that has proper DX12 support. Very disappointing when devs play politics.

It just goes to show that AMD can have the best the hardware in the world but they're pathetic when it comes to making it count, we'll still be hearing about async compute in 3yrs time when there's still yet to be a game that utilises it in any meaningful way.

Soldato
It just goes to show that AMD can have the best the hardware in the world but they're pathetic when it comes to making it count, we'll still be hearing about async compute in 3yrs time when there's still yet to be a game that utilises it in any meaningful way.

How is this ARK delay AMD's fault again? You need to get seen for your AMD hate problem.

Soldato

I remember nVidia having more problems with this game than AMD lol. AMD arn't pathetic ones here i can tell you that much lol. :rolleyes:

Soldato
980ti isnt even enough for this game to get past 45 fps on lower settings...on top of all this the game looks like a collision of cheap unity assets and unreal store assets. i spent more hours trying to fix the bloody thing than playing it and ended up with zero results.

btw where is the ignore feature on this site? i wonna put a certain person we all know who is on it.

Soldato
Tin foil hat and all but, Makes you wonder why Vulkan is taking so long to get the specs out.

I was on the fence with the whole DX12-compute-NV thing. Knowing how NV can do wonders with their drivers/software, I figured they'd just release a driver and "Balance restored" so to speak.

Now, It is looking a bit suss

Soldato
980ti isnt even enough for this game to get past 45 fps on lower settings...on top of all this the game looks like a collision of cheap unity assets and unreal store assets. i spent more hours trying to fix the bloody thing than playing it and ended up with zero results.

btw where is the ignore feature on this site? i wonna put a certain person we all know who is on it.
I get between 45 - 55 fps on medium high settings on 1080 on a 290x. Seems Nvidia have somw catchin up to do with the drivers for this game. A 980ti should get way more fps.

Back
Top Bottom