Arsenal FC - A complete shambles. What needs to change? *Please read OP before posting*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
OP
Want and should is the thing. I want and want to believe that Arsenal progress to a point where they can win the league but I guess my expectation is that I don't think they can whoever is in charge because of the financial state of the game. It's possible of course but extremely unlikely. For all of their progress this season, I don't think Spurs will get near it next season either. I don't feel I am being defeatist or wanting to coast along (and I think there are more than a few who feel that way).

Spurs are the anomaly at the moment but they still have a lot to prove. Poch has done amazingly well by buying strong, young hungry players but the next few seasons are the real test. It's also taken them decades of rubbish to get to this point. I said in another post that Arsenal certainly missed a lot of great players when they became available in the last few years which is disappointing but then everyone's scouting is awesome now so.

I would have liked to see a change this season because I have great respect for Arsene and hate to see the hate he is getting but also as you said, the club needs something fresh.

I do think that Arsenal and Arsene will improve next season though. I don't think the formation change was just a psychological change for the team. Some players who's form had been poor for some time started to flourish and look like the players they should be. I hope Arsene sticks with it.

You say you don't think it's possible but Spurs have shown that it is. They might not have won the League but the 86 points they got would have won them the League in a lot of other seasons.

And what gives you the confidence to believe things will improve next season? What's going to change? You mention the new system but hasn't Wenger all but said it was a short term fix and he prefers playing 4 at the back so he can have an extra midfielder?

Caporegime
Spurs are the anomaly at the moment but they still have a lot to prove. Poch has done amazingly well by buying strong, young hungry players but the next few seasons are the real test. It's also taken them decades of rubbish to get to this point. I said in another post that Arsenal certainly missed a lot of great players when they became available in the last few years which is disappointing but then everyone's scouting is awesome now so.

We were crap because Sugar had no ambition and thought signing the odd flair player would keep us happy, so we had to endure years of mid table and the odd relegation scare.

Since ENIC took over there has been an improvement. Spurs have been in the top 6 for the last 8 seasons now, the latest improvement came when we recognised that there was a rotten core of players and cut all the dross out of the squad. Obviously there have been bad managers and signings in the last 8 seasons but at least when things aren't going right something is done about it. Arsenal need to do the same, restructure the coaching staff and get rid of players like Gibbs who have been at Arsenal for years but never feature regularly.

So pleased he's signed a new contract!! Since the formation change we have been on a great little run, I hope it continues!

Arsenal always have a good run at the end of the season, and came up against fairly weak opposition. The squad doesn't have the players for that formation.

Soldato
Arsenal always have a good run at the end of the season, and came up against fairly weak opposition. The squad doesn't have the players for that formation.

Fairly weak? Man u, Leicester, Chelsea, Man city, Stoke away... We always have a dip when the champions League kicks off again and seem to find our way towards the end. A bit of trimming of the squad and a few replacements and we'll be good to go again.
3 Fa Cups in 4 years should not be dismissed, I think it's quite an achievement.

Caporegime
Man United with a manager that couldn't care less about the PL at that point, the same Leicester that Tottenham hammered 6-1 with a lucky own goal, a massively off-colour and hungover Chelsea, Man City result was luck because of the disallowed goal and Stoke away is not difficult. The squad requires a massive overhaul, and it's time to get rid of the nearly men like Walcott.

Arsenal are just the same as Tottenham 2012-2013 - get the ball to Bale and let him score. Just swap Bale for Sanchez.

Not disputing that FA Cups aren't success but the club is supposed to be competing in Europe but haven't made it past the first knockout round since 2009-2010.

Soldato
Man United with a manager that couldn't care less about the PL at that point, the same Leicester that Tottenham hammered 6-1 with a lucky own goal, a massively off-colour and hungover Chelsea, Man City result was luck because of the disallowed goal and Stoke away is not difficult.

Arsenal are just the same as Tottenham 2012-2013 - get the ball to Bale and let him score. Just swap Bale for Sanchez.

Apart from they utterly outplayed Chelsea in the FA Cup going head to head with the same formation

Associate
Man United with a manager that couldn't care less about the PL at that point, the same Leicester that Tottenham hammered 6-1 with a lucky own goal, a massively off-colour and hungover Chelsea, Man City result was luck because of the disallowed goal and Stoke away is not difficult. The squad requires a massive overhaul, and it's time to get rid of the nearly men like Walcott.

Not disputing that FA Cups aren't success but the club is supposed to be competing in Europe but haven't made it past the first knockout round since 2009-2010.

You could go through every game for any club and suggest that it was luck or the other team didn't care or were poor. Makes absolutely no sense. Leicester barely put a challenge in for that 6-1 for example. Absolutely rolled over.

Give it 5 years and if, if, Spurs are still in the CL then let me know how its going. I'm not too sad about it tbh. It's literally a farce where the group stages are designed for the big clubs to go through and then you spend the rest of the tournament hoping you don't get Barca, Munich, Real etc. Spurs' situation will be exactly the same.

Associate
You say you don't think it's possible but Spurs have shown that it is. They might not have won the League but the 86 points they got would have won them the League in a lot of other seasons.

And what gives you the confidence to believe things will improve next season? What's going to change? You mention the new system but hasn't Wenger all but said it was a short term fix and he prefers playing 4 at the back so he can have an extra midfielder?

But ultimately Spurs didn't win it. We got more points than last season where we finished second. The top teams just scored more points overall in what I guess was a weaker league. Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal are essentially hoping that the other 3 mega rich clubs all perform poorly. It's only happened 5 times since the PL started and only once in the last 13 years. It's just the reality of it.

I don't remember him saying it was a short term fix but maybe I missed it. Players who we know are super talented were under-performing (even early season to be fair to them) until the change. Ramsey, Xhaka, Chamberlain, Holding, Monreal. Even Ozil's form improved (although I think he is amazing anyway and wonder what people are looking at when they criticise him). I think the club knows also that things need to be better. I think the manager and the board will be under intense pressure from the very start of the season which can only be a good thing.

Caporegime
Give it 5 years and if, if, Spurs are still in the CL then let me know how its going. I'm not too sad about it tbh. It's literally a farce where the group stages are designed for the big clubs to go through and then you spend the rest of the tournament hoping you don't get Barca, Munich, Real etc. Spurs' situation will be exactly the same.

You may not be bothered, but the players want to play in the champions league. Even your captain said he'd rather play in the UCL than win the FA Cup. http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/16/arsen...champions-league-than-win-the-fa-cup-6640548/

It hurts the club's finances and the ability to attract top players.

Last edited:
Soldato

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Caporegime
That's not what he said at all. His quotes are in the piece.

"When asked which he would prioritise, Koscielny said: ‘Playing in the Champions League."

Did not stop pogba from joining united

Money, Pogba gets £290k a week and millions in bonuses. Plus Manchester United is a huge global brand and he seems to have his own personal brand/ego to maintain so it's a good match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom