• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASROCK X570 TAICHI - THE RYZEN 3000 MOTHERBOARD GIBBO & 8 PACK RECOMMENDS

Soldato
Agree. With 3.0 bios update today, found the opportunity to tinker with the system today, tightening up few loose ram settings. Can take now 3800 14-14-14-14-28 with the ram voltage at 1.38 not 1.404 like before. (tFaw 16, tRFC 285)

Also played with 3866 16-16-16-16-32 but need to tweak the settings bit more. My 3900X can take 1933 IF

That is impressive @ 3800Mhz! What RAM you got?

Soldato
Really! Just shows price increases across all components doesn't it? Many usually eying Gfx cards and CPU prices, but just shows!

Yep. This similar kit was over £250-290 during 17-18 period also. Let alone there are worse kits on the markets at this price (usually 3600C18-19)

This year the prices have dropped having seen the 4400C19 Patriot for £144 if remember correctly.

Associate
Is there any downside to putting my GPU in the slot below the normal one? I.e. not blocking the chipset fan? I belive they are all x16

3 x PCI Express 4.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE3/PCIE5: single at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x8 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE3); triple at x8 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE3) / x4 (PCIE5))*

This is what is on the Asrock spec page... Make of it what you will.

Soldato
Pretty sure if you use the lower slot it will run at pcie 4.0 x8 instead of x16 so would effectively be like a pcie 3.0 x16 and shouldn't impact Gpu performance at all.

Associate
Pretty sure if you use the lower slot it will run at pcie 4.0 x8 instead of x16 so would effectively be like a pcie 3.0 x16 and shouldn't impact Gpu performance at all.

Doesn't quite work like that, if the slot is 8x for example, it will run at pice 4 x8 with a pcie x4 card in it and at pcie 3 x8 with a pcie 3 card in it. Yes it's true that pcie x4 has twice as much bandwidth, but only if it had a pcie 4 card in play.

Associate
I cant make head nor tail of it lol.

We'll all 3 of the slots are physically x16, with the 1st slot being the only one running at x16 if more than 1 slot is in use, but whether the next slot down will run at x16 with the first slot empty will depend on if its traces are wired as x16 and also how Asrock has designed their firmware. There is a pcie slot benchmark you can run before and after which will tell you if there is any difference - depending on your card a x8 slot may not even make a difference. Let me go check my BIOS to see if there are options to set the PCIE speed.

Last edited:
Associate
We'll all 3 of the slots are physically x16, with the 1st slot being the only one running at x16 if more than 1 slot is in use, but whether the next slot down will run at x16 with the first slot empty will depend on if its traces are wired as x16 and also how Asrock has designed their firmware. There is a pcie slot benchmark you can run before and after which will tell you if there is any difference - depending on your card a x8 slot may not even make a difference. Let me go check my BIOS to see if there are options to set the PCIE speed.

I checked the board when moving cards around before. The top slot is fully wired, the 2nd slot is only wired for half the connections (so 8x slot) and the bottom only 4x - you can tell by looking at the number of actual pins in the slot. So there are physical slot limits even when moving a single card. So moving my gpu to middle slot would limit it to 8x even with no card in top slot. I did do this for a while so the chipset fan wasn't blocked but eventually moved it back to top slot after seeing the wiring differences.

Permabanned
Is there any downside to putting my GPU in the slot below the normal one? I.e. not blocking the chipset fan? I belive they are all x16
Might be worth sending Asrock an email because although the specs imply you should be fine we have contradictory information being posted.

3 x PCI Express 4.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE3/PCIE5. That implies that slot 1,3&5 are all x16 slots if used with one card only.

Associate
Took a pic of my middle slot for info - notice the pins stop half way along slot.

pcieslot.JPG

Manual is a bit more descriptive but a still a little confusing :-

"3 x PCI Express 4.0 x16 slots (PCIE1/PCIE3/PCIE5: single at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x8 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE3); Triple at x8 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE3) / x4 (PCIE5))*"

Surely if PCIE5 is only x4, how can it be triple at x8?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom