Assault rifles and military-style semi-automatics have been banned in New Zealand

Soldato
No. You are saying guns are banned in Australia.

This is not true.
No, I am repeating what others have stated, I know very well that not all types of guns were banned in Australia. There have been multiple instances and references to australia banning guns and no mass shootings since, I am saying both of these are factually inaccurate (which they are), because 1) they introduced prohibitions on semi-automatic and pump-action rifles and shotguns, 2) there have been mass shootings since.

Soldato
No. You are saying guns are banned in Australia.
No he was saying the people who say guns are banned in Australia are wrong. And also that the people who say Australia hasn't had a mass shooting since tightening up its gun control laws in 1996 are wrong too.

In fairness to the latter though, it was correct for 22 years, and as it's only 10 months since Australia experienced it's first (and only) mass shooting since the change in the laws it's understandable that many would make that error.

Caporegime
And that's why we need to ban everything that might be dangerous in the wrong hands, to stop such things!

People kill with cars. Sometimes even intentionally.
Ban cars, you stop all such incidents, no?
No?

It's not a good reason for letting people control a 70mph brick, either...

No, that car comparison is just silly.

Given that so much crime is happening with implements that are alrealy illegal, the fact that some people cannot go and get a legal one is pretty irrelevant.

No it isn't.

The premise is that someone who doesn't follow the law anyway (for various different reasons) can use ANY thing you consider legal to do very illegal things. Making those things illegal does not stop them. It only stops legal people from doing legal things with them.

No again.

(see previous posts for explanations or indeed ask for clarification - but I'm not going to be drawn into playing this game)

How is this thread ever going to be constructive?

Well it isn't if you're just going to break things down into little snippets and throw in disingenuous one liners to which there isn't much response to other than "no" lest you do the same thing again... If you want to actually attempt a discussion then I'm all ears.

Caporegime
What do you mean re: chemicals?

Also the claim isn’t that making semi-auto firearms illegal will stop all shootings. You’re making a straw man argument there.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
you cant ban everything

but you can minimise risk

if people ant to shoot and have guns still legal for hunting, then use guns designed for that purpose

a single shot bolt action for game and shotguns for birds...yes they can still be used to kill people but thats true for many things

but at least if you limit multi shot capable weapons you reduce the risk of mass killings in a short time and before law enforcement can act.

Caporegime

We already licence and regulate cars for a start.

If you want a car with say a rocket engine you’ll probably find it isn’t road legal.

Likewise you can obtain a shotgun certificate easy enough, just don’t get too many hopes up about a machine gun or semi auto rifles etc...

Soldato
We already licence and regulate cars for a start.

If you want a car with say a rocket engine you’ll probably find it isn’t road legal.

Likewise you can obtain a shotgun certificate easy enough, just don’t get too many hopes up about a machine gun or semi auto rifles etc...
talk about responses being silly - wtf has a rocket engine got to do w/ someone misusing a car?

Caporegime
talk about responses being silly - wtf has a rocket engine got to do w/ someone misusing a car?

Perhaps you should give a bit more clarification in your question.

Likewise someone can misuse a legally owned shotgun too. We’re probably more comfortable as a society taking on that risk and allowing shotguns than we are allowing handguns and semi auto rifles.

Man of Honour
Why? Is there a competition for dumbest arguments in this thread or something?

Why does anyone need to go any faster? with the increased potential for someone to weaponise the vehicle that comes from speed?

I mean when you reduce it down a car is just an object that goes from A to B same as a bullet - just an object that goes from A to B until you put intent on it. There are plenty of firearms that have been designed and built from the ground up for the intention of target shooting.

Caporegime
Why does anyone need to go any faster? with the increased potential for someone to weaponise the vehicle that comes from speed?

In order to get to places quicker.

I mean when you reduce it down a car is just an object that goes from A to B same as a bullet - just an object that goes from A to B until you put intent on it. There are plenty of firearms that have been designed and built from the ground up for the intention of target shooting.

So what?

Caporegime
Various wood preservatives, paint strippers, and the like. If not banned, many have been severely limited and tightly regulated in composition to the point where they're rather ineffective and kinda pointless.

What does that have to do with the thread?

Your specific claim might not be, but that's the general way the sentiment is being pushed... and the easiest solution.
Either way, it's still of little use when the sort of people to commit these crimes will simply find other ways.

Might be better, if you’re quoting me, to respond to what I’ve presented. If you’re going to respond to some other argument then better to quote that.

Back
Top Bottom