Assetto Corsa

Man of Honour
I'd seriously recommend getting a wheel it just transforms it - even if it is just a basic Thrustmaster or something.

I've mixed feelings about the physics realism as there seems to be a lot more tendency to understeer than I've experienced in real driving but overall the physics is comprehensive and the feel for track detail and response is unmatched in anything I've tried so far.

Associate
I found the slow to medium cars quite capable with a few aids on like stability and a tad of traction with the DTM/90's touring cars. you will need to tweak the setting when you change from car to car, ie front wheel drive to rear wheel drive or low to high down force cars. But you can save controllers settings and name them in AC so that's not really an issue.

With a bit of tweaking I got close to a level of GT or forza feel on the pad. The faster cars I found pretty uncontrollable as you either get a nice feel at high speed then it goes the opposite was at slow speed and vica versa.

Maybe use the steam refund system to test it out. The game will reward you most with a wheel and just the general experience all round will be better with even a cheapish wheel.

I haven't tried it on a pad since the console release I bet theres some much better pad setups now.

Associate
I do have a spare G25/Pedals/Shifter with brake mod and Leo Bodnar cables...

Ah I guess you may not have Members Market access however?
Cheers for the offer, you're right no MM access for me yet, unfortunately! I think I'll grab the DLC whilst it's on sale and bide my time over a wheel setup - definitely seems like the way to go!

Soldato
Soldato
No amount of tinkering will get pCars to AC level of driving physics and feel: AC is used by Ferrari to develop road cars, by Porsche to make simulators for its customers and by ACI CSAI official Italian racing school for single seaters at Vallelunga (F1's Daniil Kviat is their graduate and also raced AC sim while there https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/26015583/ ).

pCars is a good game, but never comparable to AC, despite what Ben Collins & Nick Hamilton (who were paid to market it) say. iRacing, rFactor2, AC - in no particular order - are comparable sims; pCars is more inline with the Codemasters stuff and EA's NFS:Shifts :)

Associate
Yeh, still like the sim, just seems slow after PC and Raceroom.

That's the fault of a single monitor setup, you lose all sense of speed at a realistic FOV. But so would driving your car on the road with a cardboard box strapped to your face. you'd end up with a very shallow FOV which would result in a massive drop in a sense of speed.

If you want a true sense of speed then your need a triple or VR headset for a true sim that doesn't use a fish eye lense to screw the picture.

Back
Top Bottom