Assetto Corsa

Soldato
That's the fault of a single monitor setup, you lose all sense of speed at a realistic FOV. But so would driving your car on the road with a cardboard box strapped to your face. you'd end up with a very shallow FOV which would result in a massive drop in a sense of speed.

If you want a true sense of speed then your need a triple or VR headset for a true sim that doesn't use a fish eye lense to screw the picture.
Thats interesting, so sims like PC and Raceroom and other sims use different fov or speed up the game ?

V F

V F

Soldato
Steering wheel is not enough. A proper separate axis gas and brake pedals are essential.

That is still not enough. Need the H shifter/clutch, phone and tablet as well as a kick ass rig for it all.

Even though it wasn't accurate I did love the feeling using the TH8A in sequential mode on the PS4. Cannot wait to get into it for the PC.

Associate
No amount of tinkering will get pCars to AC level of driving physics and feel: AC is used by Ferrari to develop road cars, by Porsche to make simulators for its customers and by ACI CSAI official Italian racing school for single seaters at Vallelunga (F1's Daniil Kviat is their graduate and also raced AC sim while there https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/26015583/ ).

pCars is a good game, but never comparable to AC, despite what Ben Collins & Nick Hamilton (who were paid to market it) say. iRacing, rFactor2, AC - in no particular order - are comparable sims; pCars is more inline with the Codemasters stuff and EA's NFS:Shifts :)

Automobilista has superior physics than any of them.

Totally agree about pcars, terrible game.

Soldato
Enjoying this but agree a Wheel would be better. Can anyone recommend a good wheel? Don't mind paying for quality.

Literally depends on budget, look for Logitech G25/G27/G29, Thrustmaster T150/T300/T500, Fanatec GT3 RS v2 or the CSR (Forza Motorsport CSR)

The Fanatec and Thrustmaster wheels are all belt driven which gives a better feel and no force feedback deadzone compared to Logitechs cog driven system which is also noisy.

The Logitech wheels all come with pedals that have a clutch and very similar in look however I think the G29 pedals have a better feeling brake pedal due to different spring and a rubber stopper, the G25/G27 pedals can be modified to reproduce this.

The Fanatecs and Thrustmasters come with varying sets of pedals, may or may not have a clutch/loadcell brake pedal.

Associate
think the tx? is same/similer as the t300 or maybe im wrong... the pedals with the tx look cheap so used my g25 ones :)

also the thrustmaster stuff u can change the actual wheel too which is pretty cool

Soldato
Yes it's the same wheel, the T300 works with PS3/4 while the tx works with Xbox, they both work with PC. fireblade is talking about getting the T3PA pedals which has a clutch and are better than the two pedal version that comes with the T300.

Associate
Bought this in the steam sale and absolutely loving it. Grabbed a G920 just for it and all i can say is wow. Never owned a wheel & pedals before but what a difference it makes!

Man of Honour
How much if you don't mind? My G27 is still good with a custom real car wheel, but in the future a possible upgrade is needed.

Just spotted it for £350 new which is the lowest I've seen, cancelled the Warehouse Order as it was dearer!
Nipped into GAME last night and handled the T300RS though which actually seemed quite nice, going to order something for delivery tomorrow, am I still better with the T500RS over the T300RS GT or even the T300 Ferrari Alcantra? (Appears both of those T300 models have the same pedals)

Associate
I've heard of far more problems with the T300 than the T500, and as a T500 user I'd have to recommend it...it was a top of the line wheel when it was released. Tech may have moved on but the T500 does a solid job and is so well known it's compatible with everything, even PS4 (in game not in menus). If you don't like the Rim you can buy add-on rims and it's really easy to swap later.

Soldato
I say keep G27 and save up for Oculus, thats what I'm doing at the moment :) Tried VR with a flight sim couple of days back and was blown away, AC is supposed to be as good if not better. G27/29 is plenty good enough - good pedals with clutch, decent h-shifter, fast enough for drifting (just)...

If you sell the touch controllers Oculus is £320 atm.

Back
Top Bottom