Assetto Corsa

Man of Honour
That's an interesting engine choice ('scuse pun) for a racing sim.

Possibly due to the weather conditions - the engine used in AC doesn't really support anything other than dry due to the complexities of wet surfaces and the problems with incorporating it into the model at the level of simulation they do for dry - I'm guessing this game will have reduced realism in the model but better approximated handling over a range of conditions.

Soldato
No mention of VR?
I see the words total and immersion, ' the thrill of being in the cockpit of a real racing car' Yet unless I'm missing it, I can't see a reference.

There's Zero chance ill ever play a racing sim on a box monitor ever again.

Soldato
Not sure what to make of that announcement :/

It not being an addon to Assetto Corsa suggests that they're changing the game significantly, most likely from a physics perspective, presumably dumbing it down. In which case why use the name Assetto Corsa... I'm not really interested in GT3 cars but would love to have more lighting variation and weather in the base game.

Soldato
I don't see how it suggests anything of the sort. The only significant changes I'm aware of are graphics/weather (which requires a new game engine) and online functionality. Nothing suggests that they're dumbing down the core physics.
Given their fan base and what they've built their reputation on, why would they do that, especially with a title that's aimed at replicating a real racing series?

Maybe look at it as a kind of working (and perhaps expandable with future licensed series/content) 'beta' for an eventual AC2.

Man of Honour
I don't see how it suggests anything of the sort. The only significant changes I'm aware of are graphics/weather (which requires a new game engine) and online functionality. Nothing suggests that they're dumbing down the core physics.
Given their fan base and what they've built their reputation on, why would they do that, especially with a title that's aimed at replicating a real racing series?

Maybe look at it as a kind of working (and perhaps expandable with future licensed series/content) 'beta' for an eventual AC2.

Only from the perspective that when it was discussed in relation to wet weather, etc. in AC before they said that wet surfaces, etc. are hugely complex and not really feasible currently at the fidelity that AC aims for and that it would be difficult to combine a close approximation of that in the same model while retaining the same fidelity for the current physics in the dry. Which while a bit of a jump to a conclusion would probably indicate along with the move to Unreal Engine 4 that there is going to be some compromise.

That said it is to some extent possible to use UE4 as the rendering front end on top of a completely different underlying engine so who knows.

Soldato
I'm reading between the lines and assuming the worst no doubt Petey, but like I said - if it isn't dumbing the game down why are they making it standalone and only GT3? If it was exactly the same engine they could make all the weather available and relaunch the "Competzione" part as a variation of the same base game. If they were to go announce the same weather affects are being added into the base game my concerns would vanish.

Soldato
I guess none of us know anything for sure. I was thinking along the lines of Rroff's last sentence and I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how much of a compromise has to be made - if any.

I'd say it's standalone and GT3 only (for now at least) because it probably isn't as simple - or even possible - as just changing the graphics engine and adding a few new physics parameters for different weather conditions, so keeping it relatively simple to start with is probably a wise move to get things properly sorted with this as a test bed for the proper sequel.
Even if it were possible to put this new GFX and physics combo into the main game, it'd mean them having to update all the existing content to work with it, as well as breaking compatibility for every single mod too.

I'd also say it's GT3's because they've proved to be the most popular in public lobbies for a good long while now, so why not go with that for starters when you're also trying out a brand new multiplayer system?

Let's hope these snippets from their blurb are true :)

Assetto Corsa Competizione is born from KUNOS Simulazioni's long-term experience, and it takes full advantage of Unreal Engine 4 to ensure photorealistic weather conditions and graphics, night races, motion capture animations, reaching a new standard in terms of driving realism and immersion, thanks to its further improved tyre and aerodynamic models.

REALISTIC SIMULATION
Assetto Corsa Competizione is designed to faithfully recreate the performance and the driving experience of real Blancpain GT Series cars through a sophisticated mathematical model that accurately replicates tyre grip, aerodynamic impact, engine parameters, suspensions and electronics systems that determine vehicle balance, as well as the influence of mechanical damage on the car's drivability

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't worry about dumbing down, Kunos have repeatedly said that they do not know how to make a good arcade and the competition there is fierce as well.
Rain is something they have previously done and done well - talking about physics of course.
Rain in AC's precursor NetKarPro:

Back
Top Bottom