Astro Turf worth it ?

Soldato
When we moved into our house it had astroturf in the back garden which was set over 3 levels. To be fair to fake grass this stuff seemed cheap and badly installed. Plus real grass and weeds kept growing through holes in it making it look even worse! Oh and the pug kept pooing and peeing on it which i doubt was very sanitary with a little baby coming along...

Roll forward to now and we have a proper lawn. Its a pain as you have to mow it every weekend but it looks far better in my opinion. Well, other than the patches that the pug has pooed and pee'd on that are now bare and need re-seeding... :o Which im in the process of doing. I also learnt some tips to avoid the patches in future which should help.

So the moral of the story is dont get a pug whatever grass you have and don't get fake grass. :cool::D

Soldato
Wanted artificial grass for our back garden as it's bloody massive and on a steep incline but having seen some other gardens locally I decided against it looking like a butchers window.

Associate
Wanted artificial grass for our back garden as it's bloody massive and on a steep incline but having seen some other gardens locally I decided against it looking like a butchers window.
There is no reason it needs to look like a butchers windows, you can get some very realistic looking stuff now but it will cost you to buy and install properly. Obviously it will never look perfect but as you have considered it I am guessing your not a big fan of maintaining a proper lawn.

Soldato
There is no reason it needs to look like a butchers windows, you can get some very realistic looking stuff now but it will cost you to buy and install properly. Obviously it will never look perfect but as you have considered it I am guessing your not a big fan of maintaining a proper lawn.

Trying to cut up or even along the hill even with a self propelled mower is proving tricky if not bloody dangerous :(

Soldato
Taken me a while but finally uploaded my photos.

When we moved in the garden was like this.
cdc7cDU.jpg
wzIk6ur.jpg

HG2AN

nJSF43h

wzIk6ur

lSFs5bk

with a lot of work and paying a guy to rotavate the garden
2BSPA6p.jpg

Part way through the guys had to stop as it rained for a couple hours.
duNajeP.jpg

once done and the sun had been out i painted the pole, and tidied up a little.

pEFyemn.jpg

kDajd4e.jpg

Next job is to sort the borders,painting the fence and replacing the fence which is falling over and put the kids stuff back together then make a decking area.

Its taking a while to get used too, but overall i like it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at that I can't wait to get my fake lawn down!

It does look alright, it wasn't the most expensive stuff but not the cheapest either, walking on it feel great but the noise is odd and will take some getting used to, I'm not sure the dog likes it either as she will now go outside for ages but not poo :/ and we will find little parcels by the back door instead.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Fake grass is one of those fads up there with TVs high up on the wall on chimney breasts.

No, that is just the stupid English fascination of putting in a fire place in the middle of the room even though we do not use coal since the late 70s.

Soldato
I'd disagree, a real fire is quite nice, a bit like real grass. Just been out to cut mine and you can't beat the smell. :)

But everyone is different, I can see the attraction of fake grass but having grown up playing football and ending up with green knees I couldn't imagine having it in my garden. It seems to be something for people who don't really use their garden.

Back
Top Bottom