• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus 3090 EKWB power limited compared to Strix?

Associate
Hi there!

So I'm Currently looking for a new 3090 card and i have been looking at the asus strix 3090 oc but the thing is I'm going to put a EK Waterblock on it and i see people saying i will void my warranty so i found the asus 3090 EKWB but i see it only has 2x8 pin connectors compared to the strix which has 3x8 pin connectors.

So the question is will i get limited with power when overclocking?
will the overclocking results be more or less the same with the 2 cards or should i just take the chance and order the strix 3090 and slap a EK block on it?

also i dont have any experience with custom loops at all and this is going to be my first custom loop i ever build so i kinda just want to get top of the line parts since I'm going to have this PC for a while

Hope to get some helpful tips!
Also I'm from EU so idk if there is any different warranty policy compared to US

EDIT: Does anybody here maybe have overclocking results from the EKWB 3090 card?

Associate
In theory the GPU will only be able to obtain 375W from 2 8 pins.

Asus EKWB edition is just a reference board with EKWB waterblock attached, it is more for lessen noise than top performance.

3090 Maxed out can easily draw 400-430W if you overclock it, so if you are after top performance I would go for Strix.

Soldato
Don't get the EKwB it's overpriced, it's a TUF card with an EK block, you can just go buy a TUf and stick a block on it to save money. If you want the full power limit you need a Strix

Soldato
Hi there!

So I'm Currently looking for a new 3090 card and i have been looking at the asus strix 3090 oc but the thing is I'm going to put a EK Waterblock on it and i see people saying i will void my warranty so i found the asus 3090 EKWB but i see it only has 2x8 pin connectors compared to the strix which has 3x8 pin connectors.

So the question is will i get limited with power when overclocking?
will the overclocking results be more or less the same with the 2 cards or should i just take the chance and order the strix 3090 and slap a EK block on it?

also i dont have any experience with custom loops at all and this is going to be my first custom loop i ever build so i kinda just want to get top of the line parts since I'm going to have this PC for a while

Hope to get some helpful tips!
Also I'm from EU so idk if there is any different warranty policy compared to US

EDIT: Does anybody here maybe have overclocking results from the EKWB 3090 card?

There will be no visible experience difference between the two cards.

In general i would go for the pre-fitted water block regardless of card or model.

Yes you can run the Strix OC with an EVGA bios and get more juice to it but personally, the heat dump into the loop for that extra 2% of performance is only good for benching, i would sooner lose 5fps and run within the standard warranty limits.

It does run a slightly lower tier PCB but it’s more than good enough and it’s still one of the best PCBs on the market due to the quality of the components.

Soldato
My stock card (palit) which is a non OC card will
Boost upto 2080mhz by itself and higher on water but like others have said its power limited. The difference in fps is so minimal though compared to a faster card, you would barely notice it. I can manually overclock it further but its just not worth it as theres little change in fps.

Unless you absolutely need every drop of fps for 4k then get the faster card. Otherwise a stock 2x8pin card is more than enough.

Back
Top Bottom