** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Caporegime
I be willing to bet money that there is a FAR larger percentage of "casual" players than "competitive" players, apart from a few games like cs go and bf, what other competitive games are there where you need a constant 144FPS and benefit from a constant 144FPS?

If you really want 144HZ, you can always still use it by just disabling freesync. Besides, iirc, don't g and free sync still not add some input lag thus surely a "competitive" player would turn it off anyway?

Also, those other 75Hz freesync screens are crap because their lowest freesync range is 48FPS/HZ so not really ideal for people that want max settings.

The main reason people would be going for this screen over TN panels is because of the superior image quality and colours etc. of IPS, if you don't care about image qaulity etc. then go for the benq, it does 40-144hz with freesync.

Soldato
The thing about 144Hz is that...you'd only have some hope of maintaining frame rate that high playing single player FPS for example...if you play any form of online games that are even slightly demanding, forget graphic card...the CPUs we have at the moment cannot maintain 120fps+, nevermind 144fps. We need dx12 or Mantle to have hope of finally may be able to hold constant 120fps+ for competitive gaming, when graphic grunt is not the limiting factor.

Associate
The thing about 144Hz is that...you'd only have some hope of maintaining frame rate that high playing single player FPS for example...if you play any form of online games that are even slightly demanding, forget graphic card...the CPUs we have at the moment cannot maintain 120fps+, nevermind 144fps. We need dx12 or Mantle to have hope of finally may be able to hold constant 120fps+ for competitive gaming, when graphic grunt is not the limiting factor.

I had this thought myself however il b aimed for my next monitor (hopefully the ASUS) to last me 5 years + so taking upgrades of other componets into account over that timeframe I think buying a panel atm really has to have a high refresh rate

Otherwise I'd would have taken the plunge in Feburay when I bought my new rig, but instead I'm holding out for as long as possible

I fear however the ideal time to buy a monitor (1440p/144hz IPS) will be within the next 6 months to a year as opposed to right now

Soldato
"The rest of us"
Seems graphics quality enthusiasts are the majority in this forum.
But what about competitive players who always would play at 144Hz and reduce quality settings till they reach the 144 frame goal?

If I pay for 144Hz I want to utilise it and not let me tell by other users who might play single player games or just casual that 35, 60 or 90 frames are enough.

By the way, there are also 75Hz freesync screens from competitors, if you prefer low framerate and max quality.

I am disappointed.

I'm not sure what a competitive player is, but when I used to be obsessed with dominating everyone in CS, UT and so on I used to run around 85Hz-100Hz 60FPS+. I was very successful.

Associate
Change of mind so have swapped this for a Dell 34" curved- delivery tomorrow:)

Hopefully will get a good one - last 2 'new' monitors had to go back (AOC 34" -electrical fault and backlight bleed & 28" 4k - TN panel does not rock my boat :()

Soldato
Look what just got delivered B-)

Unfortunately I have an exam tomorrow so can't play around with it yet :'(

How are you getting on with the screen particularly light bleed and general IQ? I think I'll take a chance and import one cheap but really CBA dealing with basic image quality issues.

Associate
How are you getting on with the screen particularly light bleed and general IQ? I think I'll take a chance and import one cheap but really CBA dealing with basic image quality issues.

Not sure about image quality because I never got it to work. The screen was just constantly flickering on white background. So yeah, 10/10 for quality control!

I sent it back for a full refund.

Soldato
The only "Review" I can find,

Got a few days ago the monitor. Seeking long been a monitor for Office and Games, which replaces my old 1920x1200 24-inch monitor. I've had a lot at home (Swift Asus, HP, Benq etc.) all have not promised me. This is one of the first monitors with 144hz and IPS panel, also still AMD`s freesync offered. Subjectively, after 2 days, summarized:
Positives:
+ IPS panel, colors better than the TN panels
+ 144hz (last more than 60Hz, even the ancient CRT`s had 85Hz)
+ Freesync
+ Easy
+ Not glossy and matte, pretty slim bezel
Negatives:
-Once Blue light filter is activated (for the eyes) (1-4) is only the "race mode" which is not optimal, other settings are grayed out, zbSchärfe so slightly out of focus so little useless.
- + Freesync (no tearing) is apparently only to 90Hz, but it starts with 35Hz which is more important mMn
- Very small, scaled by the high resolution font on Win 7's slightly out of focus, despite high resolution (under Windows 10 could be better in the summer).
The illumination is fairly homogeneous, lower left slightly darker, no pixel errors visible

Soldato
Change of mind so have swapped this for a Dell 34" curved- delivery tomorrow:)

Hopefully will get a good one - last 2 'new' monitors had to go back (AOC 34" -electrical fault and backlight bleed & 28" 4k - TN panel does not rock my boat :()

The Philips BDM3470UP is worth keeping in mind.

Soldato
Can anyone tell me what 48fps / hz vsync is like?

Because I will probably get a 144hz monitor but on Nvidia will not be able to use freesync, so as far as I know normal vsync will go 36 > 48 > 72 > 144hz... Which will be less obvious than 60 > 30 or stuttering with triple buffering. Does 48hz vsync look similar to 60hz?

Associate
Can anyone tell me what 48fps / hz vsync is like?

Because I will probably get a 144hz monitor but on Nvidia will not be able to use freesync, so as far as I know normal vsync will go 36 > 48 > 72 > 144hz... Which will be less obvious than 60 > 30 or stuttering with triple buffering. Does 48hz vsync look similar to 60hz?

It looks as bloody awful as you'd expect it to. The point of adaptive synch, whether VESA or NVIDIA is to remove any screen tearing or jitter without the frame times / input lag associated with vsynch (and obviously it's adaptive). It can't magically make less than 60 refreshes (and frames) a second look decent or not give eye strain.

For anyone sensitive to low refresh rates (some people don't seem to notice or be bothered by them), it's horrendous.

Last edited:
Associate
Tweeted @ASUS_ROGUK yesterday to ask for an update and their reply said "It's probably a few weeks off."

I pre-ordered the monitor back in early April and while I didn't mind waiting until the original May 4th release the idea that it will likely be July is a bit much, especially as no one seems able or willing to provide a more accurate ETA.

Associate
Tweeted @ASUS_ROGUK yesterday to ask for an update and their reply said "It's probably a few weeks off."

I pre-ordered the monitor back in early April and while I didn't mind waiting until the original May 4th release the idea that it will likely be July is a bit much, especially as no one seems able or willing to provide a more accurate ETA.

Cancel your order. They'll have a large stock backlog by then anyway.

Back
Top Bottom