ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2

I've become interested in a Transformer in the last 10 minutes as my brother wants to buy out Mac Air off of us rather than off of an auction site. We don't use any of the mac features anyway so won't miss it.

Glad he mentioned the Transformer 2 otherwise I may have just gone and bough the original.

Some reports saying that it might be out this month too.

Looking forward to seeing what Tegra 3 can do - Would probably prefer a Samsung device as they tend to have better screens though?
I wouldn’t expect much. It’s looking to be very slow based on Nvidia preview benchmarks and estimated speeds. Like Tegra 2 the 3 chip is just so far behind all the competitors.

Tegra 3 will be a big step up for Tegra 2 and fills many of the gaps of Tegra 2.

Tegra 3 has the all important High profile h264 decoding that was missing from tegra 2.

And that to the great battery saving measures implemented (power gating + companion core) it will be very good in the transformer2 for the majority of peoples intended use.

And, nvidia make the best looking 3d games on android - and with an extra 2-3x more power to play with in the gpu area expect greater looking games.

It maybe a little behind the curve in terms of raw power with whats coming out later but at least we'll get our hand on it way before the other SoC'S come out - and it will have software to take advantage of the gpu - no just pretty stats like mali-400 gpu.

Last edited:
Tegra 3 will be a big step up for Tegra 2 and fills many of the gaps of Tegra 2.

Tegra 3 has the all important High profile h264 decoding that was missing from tegra 2.

And that to the great battery saving measures implemented (power gating + companion core) it will be very good in the transformer2 for the majority of peoples intended use.

And, nvidia make the best looking 3d games on android - and with an extra 2-3x more power to play with in the gpu area expect greater looking games.

It maybe a little behind the curve in terms of raw power with whats coming out later but at least we'll get our hand on it way before the other SoC'S come out - and it will have software to take advantage of the gpu - no just pretty stats like mali-400 gpu.

That's really not a good argument, I personally do not want to endorse and buy into a world where the only way to game on a mobile device is to buy nvidia hardware, especially when the hardware they make is so mediocre.

The only reason for the tegra market zone is because nvidia is willing to spend money to buy out developers, the vast majority of the 'optimised for tegra' games are simply games that don't confirm to the OpenGL specs simply to limit them, nothing more (hence why Chainfire 3D works, if it was some intrinsic ability in the tegra chips that wouldn't be so successful)

I will never buy a SoC specific game frankly, the developer has already sold out so they don't deserve my money.

You missed the point completely - good hardware is nothing without good software.

And i'm no hardcore mobile gamer - like the majority of smartphone and tablet buyers.

Last edited:
You missed the point completely - good hardware is nothing without good software.

And i'm no hardcore mobile gamer - like the majority of smartphone and tablet buyers.
But with the amount of big names that have dropped Tegra just how much software will you see in 2012?

Tegra hardly has the best looking game as all its games work fine and often better on other chips. We are also not talking a little behind the curve either, its way behind.

Pottsey - my point is:

the A9 was used because its a general purpose processor that can do everything unlike M3's that are just use for radios etc.

Why nit picking about its architecture - as long as it delivers what it says who cares how it does it.

the new Exynos will be the better chip I agree - but it won't be in the transformer 2 so thats where it will lose out for me.

No one has copied the transformer concept - and until they do they can stick their super duper SoCs.

'behind in areas' is all relative - a normal pc user wouldnt be able to tell if they had an i5 or i7 in their laptop. thats the point - new hardware is fast enough today - software and user experience (tablet design - i.e. thin stylish galaxy tab + laptop like transformer) is where the biggest gains are.

And the main reason I didn't buy the orginal transformers was because Tegra 2 couldnt do what I wanted - play hp h264.

Now that tegra 3 can - and has more power, more power efficient and is coming out soon - thats all I care about.

Not many people care about ultimate hardware specs - if it does what they want, why complain.

Last edited:

I agree in theory, but the nvidia 'plan' worries me as a consumer (and as a geek), they're buying developers to convince end users to go for nvidia devices, now if that works then we'll end up with an nvidia monopoly, which means no more money for developers, high prices and slow development in terms of hardware which is poor for consumers.

The only people to gain will be nvidia and their shareholders...

Maybe that's a bit pessimistic but that's why I dislike what nvidia are doing, what I'd really like to see is some big players like iD and Epic making a move into the android market, they (hopefully) won't be bought and will just provide good games that 'just work'.

And maybe that's optimistic :p

I agree in theory, but the nvidia 'plan' worries me as a consumer (and as a geek), they're buying developers to convince end users to go for nvidia devices, now if that works then we'll end up with an nvidia monopoly, which means no more money for developers, high prices and slow development in terms of hardware which is poor for consumers.

The only people to gain will be nvidia and their shareholders...

Maybe that's a bit pessimistic but that's why I dislike what nvidia are doing, what I'd really like to see is some big players like iD and Epic making a move into the android market, they (hopefully) won't be bought and will just provide good games that 'just work'.

And maybe that's optimistic :p

I agree with you in that there should be no monopoly. I'm only a very light casual gamer on my smartphone/tablet which is why I dont care much for super duper games and gpu's on Soc's.

Tegra 3 and quad core will help to render web pages super fast (play hd flash) and play my mkv's - thats all I really want - and great battery life which the transformer2 with T3 will give.

OMG! FAP.FAPPIN.FAP! :D

asus.jpg

If this isn't ridiculously priced, I will be picking one up.

But the fact that I think the Transformer 1 is very over priced for what it is, probably means I'll find the Transformer 2 overpriced!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Engadget.com

Whoa, Nelly! ASUS head honcho Jonney Shih just revealed the "next-generation Transformer tablet" here at AsiaD! It's the same one that we saw teased just yesterday, and Jonney affirmed that it'll ship with a quad-core NVIDIA chip, 10-inch display, mini-HDMI port, an SD card slot and a top lid that looks precisely like its Zenbook line. Oh, and it's 8.3mm thick, though Jonney didn't specify as to whether that was docked or undocked (we're guessing the former!). Naturally, it'll ship with Android, and we're assuming it'll be Honeycomb to start. That said, Shih did affirm to Walt Mossberg that he expects Ice Cream Sandwich to hit tablets by the end of the year -- "perhaps earlier." Finally, we were informed that it'll be called the Transformer Prime, and while a final ship date wasn't given, we're told to expect more news on that front during the November 9th "official reveal."

Back
Top Bottom