ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2

Default Browser is so much smoother to the HC counterpart. The slight lag spikes that occurs when scrolling through menus et al have either gone completely or happen a lot less frequently. Not scratched the surface of ICS yet but the first impressions are great.

how did you manage to get the update onto your tfp moothead2? its not rolled out in the uk yet. would love to know how so i can get some of that ics goodness ;-)

Mines a US TP so that may have played a part. Can anyone list the features of ICS so I can test/check 'em out? The ICS Black Hole Live wallpaper is pretty awesome I have to say.

Realised I can't download paid apps through the Market as the Isle of Man isn't on their list of countries that paid apps are available in :(. Can I still download them from the desktop browser market and transfer them to my TP? Bit **** if I can't :p.

Well its on, my first impressions of ICS after a short play.

Home screen is indeed fast and snappy, I must say I feel a little bit deflated, I have never really looked at pics or videos online of ICS maily as I wanted to experience it and see it first hand on my Prime.

I feel a little deflated mainly because I was kind of expecting it to be all new, different to Honeycomb and bring a new experience to my tablet. Don't get me wrong its nice, I like it, mainly because I liked Honeycomb but I would have liked something new. Maybe its just me I don't know.

I have only had a short time with it but just been outside and still no GPS satalites at all nevermind a steady lock, that is something I have never got on my prime.

Couple of new widgets are a nice touch but again, there should be more, I want new, inovative widgets. Not just a new clock etc.

Unfortunatly I don't think ICS on the prime has swayed my decision to return it at the weekend. I really want to like my Prime and I am trying hard, ASUS are not making it easy. I love the design but it feels easliy scratched, I love the feel, lightness and power. I just can't live with crippled GPS WIFI & BT. I know at some point if my phone is out of action that I will need to use the GPS for navigation and I won't be able to do it. I also use BT to stream audio at partys to a Parrot 2.1 speaker and although the use of WIFI at the same time is not as much an issue, If I am in a weak wifi area and I need to use youtube etc while streaming the audio I feel I am going to feel let down when it doesn't work.

Having just tested WIFI & BT again I can confirm its still the same, Only noticable using Speed test though, 30meg with BT off and 5meg with BT on and streaming audio. 5meg is still ok but I guess if you don't have a fast broadband connection to begin with the problem could be worse.

The screens are quite different too, even though they are the same resolution the Prime clearly has better viewing angles as we all know, one thing I have noticed is the Prime's screen is very warm in colour and the TF101 is quite cold, on their own without looking at the other screen they both look great to me but when side by side neither look perfect, something in the middle would look better in my eyes.

Also noticed there seems to be a light sensor issue after the update, I went outside with my Prime to test GPS, it went to full brightness but when I came back inside it didn't drop back down.

So far I just feel that apart from the Tegra 3 which is great I can't justify keeping it over my original Transformer, especially now ICS is confirmed for that too.

I really wish this wasn't the case because the prime does make my original TF feel heavy and bulky but not to the extreme.

Now the news of an improved prime coming with a 1080p screen doesn't help!!!

Oh ASUS what are you doing!!!!

I really want to keep my Prime, my heart says keep it and my brain says send it back.......

Last edited:
Not sure if this is known, but I have just tested my TF101 with WIFI & BT, it also sufferes from the same problem. But not as bad, rather than 5meg when streaming BT audio I got 8.2me vs 25-30meg when off.

At least my GPS works on my TF101 though hehe

Well its on, my first impressions of ICS after a short play.

Home screen is indeed fast and snappy, I must say I feel a little bit deflated, I have never really looked at pics or videos online of ICS maily as I wanted to experience it and see it first hand on my Prime.

I feel a little deflated mainly because I was kind of expecting it to be all new, different to Honeycomb and bring a new experience to my tablet. Don't get me wrong its nice, I like it, mainly because I liked Honeycomb but I would have liked something new. Maybe its just me I don't know.

I have only had a short time with it but just been outside and still no GPS satalites at all nevermind a steady lock, that is something I have never got on my prime.

Couple of new widgets are a nice touch but again, there should be more, I want new, inovative widgets. Not just a new clock etc.

Unfortunatly I don't think ICS on the prime has swayed my decision to return it at the weekend. I really want to like my Prime and I am trying hard, ASUS are not making it easy. I love the design but it feels easliy scratched, I love the feel, lightness and power. I just can't live with crippled GPS WIFI & BT. I know at some point if my phone is out of action that I will need to use the GPS for navigation and I won't be able to do it. I also use BT to stream audio at partys to a Parrot 2.1 speaker and although the use of WIFI at the same time is not as much an issue, If I am in a weak wifi area and I need to use youtube etc while streaming the audio I feel I am going to feel let down when it doesn't work.

Having just tested WIFI & BT again I can confirm its still the same, Only noticable using Speed test though, 30meg with BT off and 5meg with BT on and streaming audio. 5meg is still ok but I guess if you don't have a fast broadband connection to begin with the problem could be worse.

The screens are quite different too, even though they are the same resolution the Prime clearly has better viewing angles as we all know, one thing I have noticed is the Prime's screen is very warm in colour and the TF101 is quite cold, on their own without looking at the other screen they both look great to me but when side by side neither look perfect, something in the middle would look better in my eyes.

Also noticed there seems to be a light sensor issue after the update, I went outside with my Prime to test GPS, it went to full brightness but when I came back inside it didn't drop back down.

So far I just feel that apart from the Tegra 3 which is great I can't justify keeping it over my original Transformer, especially now ICS is confirmed for that too.

I really wish this wasn't the case because the prime does make my original TF feel heavy and bulky but not to the extreme.

Now the news of an improved prime coming with a 1080p screen doesn't help!!!

Oh ASUS what are you doing!!!!

I really want to keep my Prime, my heart says keep it and my brain says send it back.......

Thanks for the feedback. I'm now 100% sure that I'm not going to get the Prime, but stick with my TF101 until something better comes along. There's more Tegra3 tabs due fairly soon. :)

Thankfully my Prime doesn't seem to suffer from the Wi-Fi + BT problem. Using Speedtest I'm getting 9.5MB DL and 0.9MB UL on both tests. GPS is a non issue to me too. Maybe I'm being less harsh as I don't have a still fantastic Tablet to fall back on (TF101) but I'm definately keeping it.

Thankfully my Prime doesn't seem to suffer from the Wi-Fi + BT problem. Using Speedtest I'm getting 9.5MB DL and 0.9MB UL on both tests. GPS is a non issue to me too. Maybe I'm being less harsh as I don't have a still fantastic Tablet to fall back on (TF101) but I'm definately keeping it.

Try connecting (rather than just turning BT on) to a device via BT or stream some audio then test WiFi. This problem isn't device dependent, They all do it as far as I am aware..

Last edited:
Yes they all do it, but how can it be dependant on your download speed?

If your wireless drops to 5Mb between your device and router, you will get 5Mb regardless of whether your home broadband is 5Mb or 100Mb.

Yes they all do it, but how can it be dependant on your download speed?

If your wireless drops to 5Mb between your device and router, you will get 5Mb regardless of whether your home broadband is 5Mb or 100Mb.

I assumed that there is a certain amount of noise/disruption, call it what you will when the BT & Wifi are both being used. For example say it causes a 50% loss in WiFi strength. If my broadband speed is 40meg then you would expect to get 20meg when BT is on. But if your broadband is 20meg then you would achieve 10meg.

So what happens if you have 5meg broadband? your saying you would still get 5meg? The way I see it is you would get 2.5meg.

Surly the faster your initial speed the more speed you will get when WiFi & BT are both on. Its just a % drop.

Not sure if we are on the same page though here ;) Or maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

Yeah, realised that soon after posting that :p :o. Does anyone know how the GPS and Wi-Fi perform when the back plate has been taken off? I know Anandtech have taken a Prime apart before but never mentioned how they performed with the back plate off if they even tested at all. If it works fine with the back plate off then I see no reason as to why ASUS couldn't just produce a modified back plate made of either entirely plastic or have a plastic window allowing signals to reach the antenna and either allow customers to send them their Primes and have ASUS fit them or ship the back plates to customers and allow them to fit it themselves. My guess is that if it does work fine with the back plate off and ASUS don't do this, third parties will create their own back plates if

Bluetooth frequency:

Wikipedia said:
Bluetooth uses a radio technology called frequency-hopping spread spectrum, which chops up the data being sent and transmits chunks of it on up to 79 bands (1 MHz each; centered from 2402 to 2480 MHz) in the range 2,400-2,483.5 MHz (allowing for guard bands). This range is in the globally unlicensed Industrial, Scientific and Medical (ISM) 2.4 GHz short-range radio frequency band.

WiFi frequency:

Wikipedia said:
Wi-Fi networks have limited range. A typical wireless access point using 802.11b or 802.11g with a stock antenna might have a range of 32 m (120 ft) indoors and 95 m (300 ft) outdoors. IEEE 802.11n, however, can exceed that range by more than two times.[39] Range also varies with frequency band. Wi-Fi in the 2.4 GHz frequency block has slightly better range than Wi-Fi in the 5 GHz frequency block which is used by 802.11a.

Surely some interference is expected in a device using both at the same time? Don't many other devices have this issue, including iPads??

I get this problem at home with the BT keyboard/mouse that I use in the living room. It goes all laggy when there is a lot activity on our wifi network (the router is in the same room).

It's one of the reasons why I'm sticking with the TF101 until a Tegra3 tablet appears with 5ghz 802.11n. I also live in an area where the wifi is congested.

Has anyone managed to find a decent case in the UK? Not sure the Navitech one is quite what I want, I have a feeling that the connector which allows the tablet to rotate will come loose in time. Ideally I just want something like the official Kindle case but big enough for my Prime!

Back
Top Bottom