ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 2

I've cancelled my order, but not because of the issues. Instead I'm not sure I want to spend an extra £100+ on a keyboard I'm not sure I want!

Will wait to see if Asus make the Prime available without keyboard, or possibly if a Nexus tablet is coming out.

But knowing me I'll probably wonder into a shop in the next few weeks, drool over a Prime on display and end up buying one...

Strange, a lite version (publically announced) and a 3g version are both listed in the various files on the transformer 2.

A 3g version would solve most issues as a mobile data signal pretty much requires a plastic window to work, and therefore all the antennaes would have a better signal.

While I'll admit I've lost a bit of enthusiasm for the Prime, I find it weird people talking about "the all too familiar Asus quality", as every Asus laptop I've ever owned has been among the best I've used (especially my UL30-A, which hasn't missed a beat!).
Ah well, I'll give it a couple of weeks and then decide what to use my hard earned on.

For me its about ICS. Once there are more peoples thoughts on it with ICS then I'll probably make the jump. GPS is a non issue to me and so is 3G. I just wonder how much the hardware was designed for ICS and not the shipped software.

Really should have a read on XDA though to get a better view of any other issues.

I've had mine for around a week now and I'm really very pleased with it. Not had any problems with wireless or bluetooth, keyboard is perhaps a little laggy but given my average typing speed its not enough to be noticable unless you specifically look for it. Battery life and performance are great. GPS is slow to get a lock but mine does work. ICS coming very soon too so overall I'm very pleased with it, I havnt touhed my laptop since I got it.

While I'll admit I've lost a bit of enthusiasm for the Prime, I find it weird people talking about "the all too familiar Asus quality", as every Asus laptop I've ever owned has been among the best I've used (especially my UL30-A, which hasn't missed a beat!).
Ah well, I'll give it a couple of weeks and then decide what to use my hard earned on.

And their motherboards are stellar.

Will likely wait for the proper 2nd gen android tablets now though, there are just far too many issues for a £500 device for me.

as with BENdage, we have both had ours for around the same time and i can also vouch for there being no issues with build quality. everything functions fine (save the long gps lock on but not too fussed bout that). the keyboard is a dream, the screen in super ips mode is amazing too!. granted there is a tiny amount of screen bleed but only noticeable at boot thankfully. well chuffed and would recommend to anyone really. just feel like i have to be a bit too carefull with it sometimes as its a scratch magnet! ;-)

Dixons emailed me today saying that my order is being processed. Now, does this mean they actually have them in stock and will be sending? Or will i get an email saying "this product is out of stock bla bla". Also, on Monday i sent a message to them to cancel my order as i thought they were out of stock, have sent a nother message now saying to ignore that one,i'll be so annoyed if it gets cancelled!

My prime is now back in its box, gone back to my TF101. Let me explain,

I do like prime, but, for me the whole GPS issue is just niggling me, I know I may not need to use the GPS very often but in the same breath I had to use GPS on my original transformer when I didn't have a phone for a while when it was away for repair, I feel let down by Asus and with the rumor mill churning about another prime with better GPS coming soon I think I shall be getting a refund. The is also something under my screen which is annoying me so I don't even want to use it until it goes back, I may even just not bother replacing my original tf at all. Who knows!!!!

My prime is now back in its box, gone back to my TF101. Let me explain,

I do like prime, but, for me the whole GPS issue is just niggling me, I know I may not need to use the GPS very often but in the same breath I had to use GPS on my original transformer when I didn't have a phone for a while when it was away for repair, I feel let down by Asus and with the rumor mill churning about another prime with better GPS coming soon I think I shall be getting a refund. The is also something under my screen which is annoying me so I don't even want to use it until it goes back, I may even just not bother replacing my original tf at all. Who knows!!!!

Thanks for all the info you've posted since getting it early :) I cancled my preorder last night as well, simply because the tf101 does all I currently need and the only reason I was going to pay £500 was for the quality, which seems to be lacking :)

Sure something else will come out in the next 6 months more deserving of 0.5k

Thanks for all the info you've posted since getting it early :) I cancled my preorder last night as well, simply because the tf101 does all I currently need and the only reason I was going to pay £500 was for the quality, which seems to be lacking :)

Sure something else will come out in the next 6 months more deserving of 0.5k

No probs, another thing I noticed was the prime although lighter, thinner, nicer to hold and faster (some stuff seemed to lag a bit but I put that down to honeycomb) was that it just felt like it was gonna be more prone to damage and scratches. The TF101 feels more hard wearing.

Bringing it back etc

If I already had a tablet, I'd spent 499.99 on it and there was a Gamestop over here then I'd be very tempted to do the same thing. Considering I got it for <350 (Minus the keyboard which I don't want) and I don't have a tablet already makes it harder for me to do so and spending ~200 on at least a half decent tablet and then getting another Tegra 3 tablet in around 6 months seems pointless to me :(.

The Transformer now has some direct competition, hehe:

Lenovo's IdeaTab S2

ideatab-s2-10.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/08/lenovos-ideatab-s2-10-joins-the-tablet-transformation-gang-pa/

This wouldn't be the first time for Lenovo to release a tablet-plus-keyboard combo, though the illusive IdeaPad U1 Hybrid was merely adding Windows to the updated LePad via the keyboard dock. That said, Lenovo's freshly-announced IdeaTab S2 10" is a full package dedicated to Android 4.0, and it sports a 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon 8x60A or 8960. Compared to the ASUS Transformer Prime and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, this 10-inch IdeaTab comes close to or even beats them with a 0.34-inch (8.69mm) thickness and a 1.27-pound (580 grams) weight -- certainly much better than its Chinese counterpart, the LePad S2010. Other features include a 1,280 x 800 LED-backlit IPS display, 3G with call support, 1GB LPDDR2 RAM, SSD of up to 64GB, HDMI Micro connection and front (1.3MP) and rear (5MP with autofocus) cameras. As for battery life, the tablet alone can keep cranking for up to 9 hours, and sliding it into the keyboard dock gets you an additional 9 hours plus two USB 2.0 ports, a multitouch trackpad and an SDHC card reader. No word on availability or pricing yet, so we'll keep poking Lenovo until we hear something.

Can't understand why anyone would want a prime without the dock, its what makes it unique. Extra battery, extra usability and protection.

I wasn't buying it because of the keyboard, I was buying it because it is the first Tegra 3 tablet. (With extra points for having expandable storage and timely OS updates, though both of these also apply to the TF101).

I actually cancelled my order because I don't think spending £100+ on a keyboard I doubt I will use is a good use of my money.

Back
Top Bottom