Asus G751JY ROG Gaming laptop IPS display

Caporegime
Surely a driver issue would have been fixed by now especially such an obvious one. The Laptop has been available for nearly 2 months now ?
Clearly not, as it isn't yet fixed. ;)

My Router is Virgins Superhub 2 and it does not have the setting that was mentioned in the ROG forum. I have tried all the other settings that could cause the problem but none work.

My other cheap laptop works fine on wireless at full speed and if I plug my USB Network card into the G751 it works perfectly fine.

Mine was exactly the same until I configured it correctly.

If I do a Google for "Superhub WMM" I get a lot of hits... you're sure? Also are you sure the Wireless adapter itself is configured correctly in the detailed driver settings?

Soldato
OP
I find this unacceptable tbh especially as it would have been obvious in testing. It could be a faulty batch ? It could be drivers but it should have not been there and be fixed by now. It was very obvious on this machine but again I did not notice anything strange about the audio in the review machine I had ?

From what I can gather the Superhub 1 had WMM but it was removed on the Superhub 2.

I went through every setting with no luck. My other laptop has Intel wireless so even copying the settings direct from that did not help. It could be the WiFi card in this machine is faulty but a google search shows lots of similar complaints about the WiFi card.

Caporegime
I find this unacceptable tbh especially as it would have been obvious in testing. It could be a faulty batch ? It could be drivers but it should have not been there and be fixed by now. It was very obvious on this machine but again I did not notice anything strange about the audio in the review machine I had ?

From what I can gather the Superhub 1 had WMM but it was removed on the Superhub 2.

I went through every setting with no luck. My other laptop has Intel wireless so even copying the settings direct from that did not help. It could be the WiFi card in this machine is faulty but a google search shows lots of similar complaints about the WiFi card.

The Wifi issue is not a "fault" per se, it is actually Intels fault for choosing to stick rigidly to the wireless standards. "WMM" is a requirement that many manufacturers wiself don't stick to, but Intel for some reason do with this series of adapters.

What wireless encryption are you using?

Caporegime

Should be ok then, provided WMM or equivalent is enabled. However it seems your router doesn't give the option, so maybe fire a email to Virgin tech support clearly detailing what you need before you give up completely.

The sound issue is annoying, but it will be fixed in the not too distant future (they are working on it and collecting system config dumps), and lets face it... most of use headphones for gaming and soundbars/speakers for streaming music etc. For sure, it's a pain in the rear, but the speakers even when working 100% with the driver fix will not be great.

Personally, I can wait for the sound fix as I paid £1250 for the machine, and nothing else will touch this spec for the money.

Soldato
OP
I have an authorisation code from Asus to send it back to OCUK for a refund and it's being collected on Friday. The Asus guy is convinced it's a hardware fault. After having a great experience with my review model then this I have lost all interest tbh. For £1600 there should not be issues with speakers and wireless.

I will look at them again in the future possibly when the issues are ironed out. I need a machine that just works at the moment.

Caporegime
The ASUS support guy is wrong and just sadly not well informed of current issues. However you are well within your right to send it back, so maybe look at a GT72 or something as they seem to be the direct equivalent?

Soldato
OP
The ASUS support guy is wrong and just sadly not well informed of current issues. However you are well within your right to send it back, so maybe look at a GT72 or something as they seem to be the direct equivalent?

I have a GT72 it's on permaloan with my Brother as I preferred the G751. My only real criticisms of the G751 based on the review model was the Keyboard back lighting becoming glaring if you sat back in a chair and a small amount of screen flicker on some websites.

I'm annoyed that the review model did not have these issues tbh. The Audio seemed fine as was the wireless.

The speaker issue should have been fixed by now if it is just a software issue. The laptop has been on sale for over 2 months. The tech chap might well be wrong but who knows.

Caporegime
The speaker issue should have been fixed by now if it is just a software issue. The laptop has been on sale for over 2 months. The tech chap might well be wrong but who knows.

If you prefer to believe that despite it not making logical sense, then sure... listen to the clueless tech-support guy and ignore the well-established and confirmed (by the ROG moderator who is sending dumps to ASUS) info in the ROG thread.

however, as a tech-reviewer I would have thought you would perhaps be a little more tech-savvy. :)

Soldato
OP
But this should not have happened in the first place and should have definitely been fixed by now if it was a software issue do you not think ?

I'm not overly bothered who is right and I'm very tech savvy thanks but when I'm spending £1600 of my own money I expect it to work as advertised tbh......

Associate
I find it surprising that these machines have been around for so long and there have been no reviews from the usual web sites like Hexus, Anandtech and Notebookcheck etc which in turn makes me suspicious that there are underlying issues with them.

Caporegime
But this should not have happened in the first place and should have definitely been fixed by now if it was a software issue do you not think ?

You keep repeating the same question... I'm not sure else what to tell you except that it's not a hardware issue, it's a widespread driver issue. The hardware works fine individually when set as the default device, it's when the drivers try and mix them together that it breaks.

As for: "Do I think it should have happened in the first place", I assume that's rhetorical, of course it shouldn't, it's incredibly annoying. Fact is though it does, and it's not fixed yet.

However, it is not for me a deal breaker. I fixed my Wi-Fi issue and it's now very fast and stable... and the audio is still passable even form the sub. I can wait for a driver fix as I generally stream to a decent soundbar, or use headphones.

Fact is it's a screamingly fast gaming laptop with excellent and quit cooling, and a great IPS screen (even if the blacks are very average, like most standard IPS), which no other laptop can currently match in this configuration and price category. But as I paid only £1250, it's probably easier for me to say than most, and I accept that others may feel differently.

PS: pretty sure your Wi-Fi problem is down to lack of WMM or similar setting on your Superhub. If it had a fault or incompatability it generally wouldn't connect.

Soldato
OP
Fair enough, I'm just not willing to accept faulty goods and wait for a possible driver fix.

My other Asus laptop has the same WiFi card and connects fine to my Superhub 2 and downloads at full speed ?

I'm going to return it and get a refund as per Asus recommendation.

Associate
After all your recent problems MOOGLEYS would you still recommend the Asus G751JY model over lets say the upcoming MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro-682UK with IPS display for £1499.99?

I'm definitely moving towards the MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro-682UK after hearing all the problems some like you are having with the Asus G751JY.

Soldato
OP
After all your recent problems MOOGLEYS would you still recommend the Asus G751JY model over lets say the upcoming MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro-682UK with IPS display for £1499.99?

I'm definitely moving towards the MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro-682UK after hearing all the problems some like you are having with the Asus G751JY.

It's still a fantastic machine and I'm sure the issues will be ironed out with driver updates or fixes. I was more annoyed that my review model did not have these issues and I recomended the laptop to people based on this. I was that immpressed I purcahsed one for myself.

The IPS MSI is looking good but the base spec is a bit lacking compared to the Asus. I personllly think MSI have the pricing all wrong on the GT72 series the G751 offers far better value if these issues are fixed.

Man of Honour
I would also say the Asus is a quiet performance machine. I've heard that the MSI is a lot more audible and I can vouch that the MSI GT20c that I have is also a lot noisier than this especially under load. In fact I couldn't believe how quiet this is. The VGA cooling solution is most impressive. It's something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom