Asus MW221U 22" Ghosting in games.

Associate
best overall picture settings

Can anyone recommend what picture settings I should have on the Asus Mw221U.I'm currently hooked up with the Xbox 360,including the HD-DVD add-on,aswell as my PC.
However,watching HD-DVD is all fine,but what settings should I use that could improve the overall image,colour and Splendid?

I'm sorry if this been posted before,but instead of me going through the long process of finding the best overall picture,I thought it be quicker if any of you can post your own personal settings that you currently think is better than good.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Associate
Good Luck Vasco

Devious said:
Ive got a working one now from Asus. No ghosting at all, very happy. I might actually remove the protective film from this one now :D

I also got a nice email from Vasco tonight.

If your reading ...Thanks again Vasco ~ I wish all tech support people were as good as you. Good luck with your new job !!

Sorry all for the delay in getting back about the latest update. (My Son has been poorly an needed my attention more that the 22" !)

Anyway I've run all the tests I can and it seems Asus finally have a fix !

No Negative ghosting and ghosting on overdrive is improved from overdrive off.

Again much respect must go out to Vasco for arranging the many swaps / upgrades etc and as he says to the final succesful conculsion.

Cheers.

It is now a monitor I can highly recommend to all my gamer friends. ;)

Associate
I have a question for the lucky people with the fixed monitor:

I usually turn off my monitor (first from the monitor, then from the power socket in the wall).
When i turn it on before he receive any signal from the PC, the screen instead of stay black (Asus logo->no signal->saving mode) it goes and shows a fullscreen switching between the RBG colors (black->white->green->red->blue).

I think this some how is reseting the monitor. The values in the colors "Image" menu don't get saved, in "Standard mode" only "Brightness" and "Contrast" are enabled, and they're always set to 90 and 60, if i change them, and turn it off completely, they're going back to 90, 60 which is quite bright for my taste.

Using some of the other modes (Scenery, or Game) you have control of the Sharpness (which is set to 20) but is the same, looks like it is not storing those values at all.

Other options in the menu (Sound, OSD position, etc) are stored without problems.

Does this happens with yours?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi@all,

i congratulate you all to finally fix the problem.

Unfortunatly, ASUS Germany ist still not aware of this problem and told me, that there is no firmware update worldwide and there will be none in the future :confused: :mad:

I`ll give it a try to contact ASUS UK and i hope they could give the right advice to ASUS germany.

But I still have one question about the new Firmware.

Are you still able to set the RGB values for the Colors? Because i think the original settings are very poorly and i need to change the RGB Channel to work with the monitor.

greetz below

Soldato
Hi guys

I dont have the original asus monitor box so have made one up do i need to write anything on the box such as

Reference number

RMA number

Consignment reference

thanks

Associate
rhysxanthis said:
dont suppose you have a number to call to arrange this?

Asus Brisbane says for pickup call 1300278788 the notebook number Confirmed this number for all pickup requests though they will ask if u want to drop it in. If so 15min turnaround so 1 poster here says.

NOTE this number is for in Australia only.
For Perth also try 92271757 they are the service agent so my PC shop says.

Last edited:
Associate
thanks heaps for all the info you have given me peacekeeper. was in melbourne over the weekend so i couldnt read posts, but i really appreciate it!

will ring perth tomorrow, and if they cant help me ill organise a pickup with Brissy.

Cheers:)

Soldato
Now that I have a fully working monitor I have splashed out on an Ergotron Neo-Flex desk arm for it. I must say I am very impressed with the quality and would highly recommend it to any ASUS owners who are finding the non-adjustable stand too low.

Associate
Anyone know if this one 'Asus 20" MW201U 1680x1050 300 cd/m2 2ms Widescreen TFT' is also affected or not? I need to know because I'm ordering one on friday. Thanks.

Associate
Well...it seems that your UK person, Vasco, did not work directly for ASUS, per my contact at ASUS USA. may be Vasco worked for a ASUS distributor who also supports them as well. Vasco may have passed this firmware fix on to the corp ASUS, but it has not offically trickled down to the support areas.

He said that their Corp HQ still does not show any released fix for this monitor. It could be that they fixed it on the back end, and are not willing to release an offical fix, as it would result in mass returns for correction.

My contact said he was able to find information that the firmware could be updated, but only through possibly taking the monitor apart, then flashing the chip on the board with special tools. This is most likely what has been done to the UK fixed monitors.

There may be a newer run of this monitor which the fix was already done. I was instructed to RMA the monitor, and hope to get a newer production run. This may do it. If not, ASUS said they will need to take the monitor apart and see if they can duplicate the issue and then create a fix.

I just hope they fixed it already, and the new production runs are good to go. If not, I might have ot pay to ship it to ASUS UK, so they can fix this monitor.

The saga continues...

Soldato
I have just got a phone call from asus to say my monitor will be back with me on monday :) cant wait i am just useing my old nec 1760nx lcd monitor at the mo lol.

Associate
We have a couple Australian users expecting their monitors back in a day or 2. I will post if they get the fix. It would be strange that we have the fix but USA doesn't..

Mine went in Friday so back Wednesday I hope

Last edited:
Associate
rhysxanthis said:
did asus pay for your courier to brisbane?

yes to Sydney you have to ask though they initially did not offer.

Did you contact that Perth number? Asus from what I gather only fix this at the notebook repair centers at Brisbane ,Sydney and Melbourne.

Some Melbournites have theirs in at melbourne getting updated and 2 units were dropped into in Brisbane and mine on its way to Sydney. Asus here preferred to send to Sydney and phone guy confirmed that with his boss.

Now the funny thing is now my asus guy at Asus Tw sent this, below, sounds as if he wants me to drop mine into Brisbane and wait and test it bit hard as it is 1000km south now.

Now get back to the topic, I have arranged the OZ brisbane office (The notebook repair center, used to be in China Town, now moved to somewhere close to Australian transport) to help with LCD firmware flash for you, to see if the problem we have seem and solved is indeed what you guys are discussing? (we have built several different firmware since then, and need to have a customer who actually seen this problem to help us clearify which one works better
)

I told him mine was sent to Sydney The comment above re several updates since then is a worry as they may have stuffed things back up. Also implies Asus made the update and they are holding off sending it to other countries.

I told them to see that all options menu are available and not greyed out and to test for ghosting initially using the boxes link posted here and the lighthouse avi.

Best of luck wish I hadn't couriered mine yesterday now.

PS I requested the button combination to bring up the service menu to show firmware version. Hopefully he can pass that on.

Last edited:
Soldato
CSpaR said:
Well...it seems that your UK person, Vasco, did not work directly for ASUS, per my contact at ASUS USA. may be Vasco worked for a ASUS distributor who also supports them as well. Vasco may have passed this firmware fix on to the corp ASUS, but it has not offically trickled down to the support areas.

He said that their Corp HQ still does not show any released fix for this monitor. It could be that they fixed it on the back end, and are not willing to release an offical fix, as it would result in mass returns for correction.

My contact said he was able to find information that the firmware could be updated, but only through possibly taking the monitor apart, then flashing the chip on the board with special tools. This is most likely what has been done to the UK fixed monitors...
I'm afraid your contact is talking ********. Vasco did work for the ASUS UK Support Centre - I called it enough times to know this for sure. He did leave recently so this may cause some confusion.

The firmware came from tech support based in Asia. We had several delays due to Chinese holidays etc.

The update is achieved using a special serial-to-DVI cable. Do you really think Vasco could do a same day update on mulitple monitors if he had to take the monitor apart! It sounds like ASUS USA are trying to fob you off.

Last edited:
Associate
rhysxanthis said:
did asus pay for your courier to brisbane?

Mate do not send yours atm seems Asus here does not know what is going on as they say any unit with a 7**** serial number has the latest update. IE they do not know of the May update and have no way to check the ghosting. The guy Iin Brisbane had his sent there however, today they rang him and said noting wrong so we will send it to Sydney for an update.

1 why send it when they said they can do the update and
2 my asus contact confirmed with them they were to do the update and try 3 recent updates to see which 1 worked the best.
3. the Melbourne service centre said also nothing wrong

I have emailed my contact and will call Brisbane and sydney tomorrow and discuss this. as mine is in Sydney I do not want it returned with a all fine comment and a bill so will do a bit of stirring. I will see if they will take that boxes link posted here to test the ghosting.

So mate hold fire for a tick.

UK owners did any of you who have had the fix have post January manufacture dates?

Soldato
Got my monitor back today have tryed a few games out on it and the ghosting issue has gone now :)

the image quality also seems to look better now its been fixed dont now why but it does.

Thanks to vasco and asus for sorting this issue out and to all those on the forums who fought to get this problem resolved.

Back
Top Bottom