Asus p5q-e and Q9550

Soldato
Hey Clairvoyant what bios revision are you running?

I am using the Asus 2101, I have tried the mbios version but didnt find it any better.

Have you tried to swap the ram to the other 2 slots. You may need to mtest the ram.

Try swapping the slots eg if you was using 1&3 try 2&4.

Edit

Ok same ram same board. Is everything new or 2nd hand.

Try swapping the slots, if that doesnt work you want to download mtest (get the version that is a boot disk, lots of places to download it from).

The board over volts RAM by 0.8v so max bios is 2.12v Set the RAM timings manually. Then try booting (CPU to Auto/default). If this fails in both slots, your in for some testing.

Testing with memtest @ 1066Mhz try both sticks. 2 full runs should tell you if there is a problem. If it fails try the other 2 slots, if that fails. Its 1 stick at a time slot 1 (if slot 1 fails, try slot 2). If this fails try the other stick, slot 1 then 2.

If 1 stick fails in both slots its a faulty stick, if both sticks fail it could be a faulty board then you need to test slots 3 & 4 (all 4 slots should not be faulty). I would then say its the ram, or if 1 stick passes and 1 fails its the ram at fault.

memtest takes a long time.

I hope this makes sense, I have only had faulty ram once.

Last edited:
Associate
I am using the Asus 2101, I have tried the mbios version but didnt find it any better.

Have you tried to swap the ram to the other 2 slots. You may need to mtest the ram.

Try swapping the slots eg if you was using 1&3 try 2&4.

Edit

Ok same ram same board. Is everything new or 2nd hand.

Try swapping the slots, if that doesnt work you want to download mtest (get the version that is a boot disk, lots of places to download it from).

The board over volts RAM by 0.8v so max bios is 2.12v Set the RAM timings manually. Then try booting (CPU to Auto/default). If this fails in both slots, your in for some testing.

Testing with memtest @ 1066Mhz try both sticks. 2 full runs should tell you if there is a problem. If it fails try the other 2 slots, if that fails. Its 1 stick at a time slot 1 (if slot 1 fails, try slot 2). If this fails try the other stick, slot 1 then 2.

If 1 stick fails in both slots its a faulty stick, if both sticks fail it could be a faulty board then you need to test slots 3 & 4 (all 4 slots should not be faulty). I would then say its the ram, or if 1 stick passes and 1 fails its the ram at fault.

memtest takes a long time.

I hope this makes sense, I have only had faulty ram once.
thanks buddy - ive got a memtst disk somwhere round here. the max volts is 2.3 so im running 2.22 at the mo. Ill drop it to 2.12 and load setup defualts with it at 1066

Associate
Ok weird, on setup defalts, 2.12 and ram at 5 5 5 15 1066 mhz, i passed mem-test a bunch of times (not enough I know....) and ive just passed 5 prime95 blend tests.

With a low multiplier (7) and a FSB over 400 - I still get errors unless im running the FSB and NB voltage at 1.4+ What are these two voltages needed for ? are they both needed for higher fsb ? I think its the FSB holding me back now.

Associate
i just get overclock failing when i try these settings? can anyone help?

also when i have my bluetooth adapter if sticks on the 1st black screen when it offers to enter set up. any ideas?

thanks
paul

edit1.... just got 3.40GHz
edit2....just got 3.80GHz with the RAM slightly overclocked.
edit3... Ok managed to get the comp to boot at 4GHz but wondows wouldnt boot up, the comp would just reastart again. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As with all pc's, some tweaking my be required. No two rigs are going to be exactly the same when it comes to clocking.

Why is your ram at 1110? 4Ghz on mine was running the ram at 962mhz. Your ram might not be liking the extra over it's rated speed.

Associate
Have you tried adjusting the multipliers (FSB strap to NB) for the ram?

Hi mate. Sorry i havent responded in a few days. Wireless service when totally **** up and wasnt sortable to just reinstalled Windows..

No i havent tryed adjusting them i dont think.. Sorry whats the FSB strap to NB?

Also sometimes after overclocking i get the blue screen and a reboot. Is that a core voltage adjustment you think?

Thanks
Paul

Associate
FSB strap to Northbridge are the ram dividers. You adjust them to allow the ram to run slower which is what i think is causing your problems.

If i let the ram run slower. The system wont boot and i get an overclock fail.... Why would it do thatby letting the Ram run less?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Were'nt you lowering it by changing the DRAM frequency though? By changing the strap you bring in another way of lowering the speed. Ideally you want your ram to run at or under it's rated speed when overclocking to rule out ram instability causing the overclock to fail. This was how my ram was only running at 962mhz with the cpu at 4Ghz.

Caporegime
In the bios, under the ai overclock menu, look for where it says FSB-NB strap, iirc i used 333mhz, then in the memory speed section select a speed that keeps your ram below its rated speed.

Back
Top Bottom