Asus P5Q-E (P45) Motherboard Review

p5qdeluxe0702vreadingscrj5.jpg

These are the findings of one nice chappie called jVidia (@XS) who took a multimeter to his board while it was running an early BIOS and using a 65nm quad core. Very useful stuff and I appreciate him sharing but personally I do not consider it gospel.

Hopefully someone on OcUK forums cough*gurusan*cough will perform similar tests using a multi-meter and add strength to jVidia's findings or disprove them.

I'm just such a doubter you see and its always good to challenge everything! :D

Get the Deluxe. I have the E which is awesome, but if you can get the D, go for it.

Ket's modded BIOS are great too (guy over at XS).

Well thanks to rjkoneill's help and a few others I've taken the plunge to switch to Intel from AMD. My components should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday(Asus P5Q-E and E8400), I've never really overclocked before, well my old t-bred was overclocked but I was wondering what settings I should be changing in the bios to get a good overclock, The rest of my kit is 4GB of Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12 and the Zalman 9700 cooler. Much appreciated :)

Guys any idea if these boards are coming out with native compatibility with Wolfdales? Im after a E5200 while the E0 E8300/Q9500 comes out but need it support them out of the box as I dont have a spare CPU to flash it with...

TIA

ps3ud0 :cool:

Well thanks to rjkoneill's help and a few others I've taken the plunge to switch to Intel from AMD. My components should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday(Asus P5Q-E and E8400), I've never really overclocked before, well my old t-bred was overclocked but I was wondering what settings I should be changing in the bios to get a good overclock, The rest of my kit is 4GB of Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12 and the Zalman 9700 cooler. Much appreciated :)

Will you be using the stock cooler or buying a better one? I'm currently stuck with the stock cooler because I'm broke. However, it will still be OK for a mild OC. I have 4GHz out of this E8600 so far, and that's stock voltage of 1.25V. I won't go any further because load temps are getting high.

When you get your stuff up and running, post back and I'll help with basic BIOS settings for overclocking. It's a good idea to manually set the voltages in BIOS rather than leaving it on Auto. Also, you may need a BIOS update if your board has shipped with an older version. The latest P5Q-E BIOS is 1306. I'm using a very nice modded version from a guy on XtremeSystems forums which helped my overclock quite a bit.

Anyway, post back when you have the machine up and running, and we'll take it from there.

Hey guys, just built a new pc which includes the p5q-e in an antec 300.

I have a xigmatek s-1283 heatsinnk and have 2 yateloons for the front case.

I've tried using the fan xpert in the AI suite and it seems pretty good on silent for the cpu but for the chassis it only lowers the fans to 60%, does anyone know how you can change the values it throttles the fans too?

The fans that come with the 300 are quite noisy even on low so does anyone know if I can just get a converter into the 3pin and stick it in the spare case fan mobo slot?

cheers.

p.s. got a 6420 and 4GB OCZ plat 8500 and clocked it to 3.2ghz (400x8) on stock volts, (1.325 VID, set the dram volts to 2.0) seems like I should be able to get a decent clock

should be a great setup by the sounds of that! glad to see you went for the e8400 - the p5qe will be a noticable difference too
should be a massive increase in overall performance for you

i suggest you bench your current rig then do the same bench when you get your new gear - seeing those numbers will give you a very warm feeling inside!

what gpu you going to run on it all?

Never noticed this thread, stupid me :p

I'll be having this mobo arriving tommorow and I'll be using an E8500 with a TRUE 120 on top of it.

The ram I'll be using is 2x 2GB G.Skill PC8500 memory.

Ram and CPU seem ok for this mobo?

Anyway I just want some advice on what would be the best bios settings to get to a nice easy 4Ghz.

Hiya everyone,

Sorry to bump this thread but just a quick question really. I have the Noctua NH-U12P CPU Cooler with one fan on either side as a pull - push configuration and was just wondering would it fit on an Asus P5Q Deluxe without any problems? The CPU Cooler will be orientated so the hot air will be going out the back of the case.

Thanks you. :)

Hiya everyone,

Sorry to bump this thread but just a quick question really. I have the Noctua NH-U12P CPU Cooler with one fan on either side as a pull - push configuration and was just wondering would it fit on an Asus P5Q Deluxe without any problems? The CPU Cooler will be orientated so the hot air will be going out the back of the case.

Thanks you. :)

Should fit, my TRUE120 does with 2 fans on push/pull but tbh going to take one of the fans off, not making much diffo.

Hi all im using the delux and ive got a 750w corsair psu, im really stumped on the case fans on my lian li b25, the pins on them have 4 connectors so I know you connect them to the powersupply, the power supply lead has 4 of the fan connectors then at the end has 2 black a red and yellow wire (im guessing these control the fans) where does this 4 lead wire plug into on the motherboard?

Any help is grand ;)

@IAmATeaf

whats youre vcore at dude?

struggling to get my q6600 stable at 3.2

also what should the fsb strap be set at ?

mine boots into windows but 30 secs into prime blue screens???

what do you reckon ??? more memory voltage?

ive got 6400 memory and these settings:mad:

AI Overclock tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 8X
FSB Frequency: 400
FSB Strap to North Bridge: 266
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: 800
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2: AUTO
DRAM Timing Control: Manual

CAS# Latency: 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
RAS# to RAS# Delay : AUTO
Row Refresh Cycle Time: AUTO (defaults to 52)
Write Recovery Time: AUTO
Read to Precharge Time: AUTO

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
DRAM Read Training: AUTO
MEM. OC Charger: AUTO
AI Clock Twister: AUTO

CPU Voltage: 1.281
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): 0.630
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): 0.670
CPU PLL Voltage: AUTO
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.36
DRAM Voltage: 1.90