Asus Prime X370-Pro Owner's thread

Associate
Many believe it's because of the buggy p-states which can soft brick the board - and hence produce RMAs.....so instead of just removing p-states, they removed the whole lot. This has brought less stability for many of us, especially if you were using things like BankGroupSwap, BankGoupSwapAlt and CLDO_VDDP.

Associate
Many believe it's because of the buggy p-states which can soft brick the board - and hence produce RMAs.....so instead of just removing p-states, they removed the whole lot. This has brought less stability for many of us, especially if you were using things like BankGroupSwap, BankGoupSwapAlt and CLDO_VDDP.

They should add a more detailed new version information. I feel Asus lacking some respect for technical interested enthusiast owners. More information will lead to a much better understanding and less speculations. Removing features without explaining why, catastrophic customer management?

I haven't been much involved in computer building the last 10 years or so but it looks like companies like MSI have improved a lot but Asus I'm note sure of...perhaps the opposite.

Associate
Couldn't agree with you more - I have written to support many times and they're useless, all I've asked is that they give us more information and they claim they can't tell us anything about bios updates.

Soldato
What/How are people clocking on this board?

I'm happy now the system is running at stock but want to get my 1700X up to 3.8 across all cores.

Anywhere I should start? Is it as simple as upping multiplier and away you go like I did my old 3770K?

Associate
What/How are people clocking on this board?

I'm happy now the system is running at stock but want to get my 1700X up to 3.8 across all cores.

Anywhere I should start? Is it as simple as upping multiplier and away you go like I did my old 3770K?

This looks like a decent quick guide. I always update bios using usb drive myself though but the rest looks fine as a first clock attempt. Leaving memories to auto first time though, when you have a stable cpu clock you can start playing with memories if you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpGMP9OKQOc

Overclocking the X models is a long story of it's own though. Personally I don't think it's worth it because of the X models being very fast stock. If overclocking you may win in multicore performance but risk loosing in single and dual core performance, depending on how much you overclock.

I run my 1600X cpu stock but running my memories faster. I'm not 100% 1700X is using same technology as 1600X but I believe so (XFR etc)?

Last edited:
Associate
@Steveocee

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8Ghz - 1.35v

SOC @ 1.1v

My ram is Corsair LPX 3200Mhz @ 3066Mhz - 1.4v and procODT 60hms.

procODT = 53.3 was the big key for me when running my Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (SK Hynix) at 3066MHz otherwise I was running into cold boot problems at higher speed than 2800MHz.

I am really, really surprised procODT hasn't been emphasized more for configuring memory on Ryzen setups, it's the whole key, especially for those of us not having samsung b-die memories.

Very simple setup: Running cpu (1060X) stock, enabling d.o.c.p and choosing automatic settings for 3066MHz, then setting procODT = 53.3

Looking at hwinfo it sets my cas to 16 though, I would like to lower cas little bit, may play around with that.

Last edited:
Soldato
This looks like a decent quick guide. I always update bios using usb drive myself though but the rest looks fine as a first clock attempt. Leaving memories to auto first time though, when you have a stable cpu clock you can start playing with memories if you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpGMP9OKQOc

Overclocking the X models is a long story of it's own though. Personally I don't think it's worth it because of the X models being very fast stock. If overclocking you may win in multicore performance but risk loosing in single and dual core performance, depending on how much you overclock.

I run my 1600X cpu stock but running my memories faster. I'm not 100% 1700X is using same technology as 1600X but I believe so (XFR etc)?

@Steveocee

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8Ghz - 1.35v

SOC @ 1.1v

My ram is Corsair LPX 3200Mhz @ 3066Mhz - 1.4v and procODT 60hms.

Does it make a difference that my RAM is already at 3200Mhz? I bought the 8Pack stuff and it went straight to 3200 on DOCP

Soldato
Golden as in don't worry about RAM just up your multiplier?
-or-
Golden as in don't worry about your RAM but you need to set X on this voltage and X on that voltage to move your Y up to something else?

I don't want to up my multiplier and end up destroying my new chip.

Golden. As in nothing to do with regards to ram. Set DOCP and leave it at that if it can run 3200Mhz out the box. With my ram, the DOCP profile works if I lower the frequency to 3066Mhz, but then after a few months it blue screened. So I upped the volts to 1.4v and set the ProcODT to 60ohms.

Just tweak your CPU.

I'd first check tho that ram is indeed stable. I used HCI for this. Do you know what to do or do you need some info?

As long as you don't go over 1.4v on the cpu vcore your be fine. It has been said by more knowledgeable people than me that Ryzen can go up to 1.45v but I felt that although it is possible it is pushing the chip quite hard and temps will need a good quality cooling solution to keep things under control.

And your talking about a difference of 100-200Mhz maximum. And that 100-200Mhz is the difference between a stable chip and a seemingly stable chip that will eventually blue screen on you.

Set the SOC to 1.1v regardless.

Last edited:
Soldato
Golden. As in nothing to do with regards to ram. Set DOCP and leave it at that if it can run 3200Mhz out the box. With my ram, the DOCP profile works if I lower the frequency to 3066Mhz, but then after a few months it blue screened. So I upped the volts to 1.4v and set the ProcODT to 60ohms.

Just tweak your CPU.

I'd first check tho that ram is indeed stable. I used HCI for this. Do you know what to do or do you need some info?

As long as you don't go over 1.4v on the cpu vcore your be fine. It has been said by more knowledgeable people than me that Ryzen can go up to 1.45v but I felt that although it is possible it is pushing the chip quite hard and temps will need a good quality cooling solution to keep things under control.

And your talking about a difference of 100-200Mhz maximum. And that 100-200Mhz is the difference between a stable chip and a seemingly stable chip that will eventually blue screen on you.

Brill I'll start from their and get going. I guess something like memtest on a linux boot drive would suffice for RAM testing?

Soldato
Brill I'll start from their and get going. I guess something like memtest on a linux boot drive would suffice for RAM testing?

HCI.

Take your available ram (i.e what is currently unallocated in task manager) divide it by the number of threads your CPU has and then open up x number of HCI instances. I always leave about 1Gb free so that the PC still has room to breathe.

----

So for example with my Ryzen 1700 (8/16) and say 14.8Gb free of 16Gb ram, I divided 13.8 by 16 = 863Mb per HCI instance.

Open up 16 x 863Mb HCI instances. This will eventually bring your CPU usage to 100%.

Leave until each instance completes 400%. If you get any errors in any instance then your ram is not stable.

----

Ideally, you need to do this after the CPU overclock, because HCI will peg the CPU to 100% and if you do it before working on your CPU stability it will fall over and you wont know if it's ram or CPU that's the issue. Also it is a good secondary CPU stability test.

Associate

This is the one for HCI memtest?
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Interesting with your 1.4v, ProcODT = 60ohms and SoC to 1.1 v advices, I may try this myself.

I have 1600X and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (SK Hynix)

Tried it as simple as possible, running cpu (1060X) stock, enabling d.o.c.p and choosing automatic settings for 3066MHz, then setting procODT = 53.3.

Thought it was totally stable after a couple days of usage but obviously it wasn't, now I am checking if 2966MHz is stable. I may go for 3066MHz one last time using your settings though.

What about Asus Prime X370 and the common memory coold boot issues? DRAM voltage, procODT and SoC fixes these issues or we are missing a boot dram voltage parameter to set on the Prime X370 board?

Last edited:
Soldato
This is the one for HCI memtest?
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Interesting with your 1.4v, ProcODT = 60ohms and SoC to 1.1 v advices, I may try this myself.

I have 1600X and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (SK Hynix)

Tried it as simple as possible, running cpu (1060X) stock, enabling d.o.c.p and choosing automatic settings for 3066MHz, then setting procODT = 53.3.

Thought it was totally stable after a couple days of usage but obviously it wasn't, now I am checking if 2966MHz is stable. I may go for 3066MHz one last time using your settings though.

What about Asus Prime X370 and the common memory coold boot issues? DRAM voltage, procODT and SoC fixes these issues or we are missing a boot dram voltage parameter to set on the Prime X370 board?

This is correct: http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Dram voltage at 1.4v and SOC at 1.1 is fairly universal. Your procodt may differ. You need to find what works. Some say 53.3 works for them, but 60 seems to work for me. More is not always better as far as I understand with ProcODT.

Yea, if you found your ram unstable using DOCP which sets 1.35v try 1.4v.

I sometimes get a blank screen. The PC seems to be still on but I can't get my screen to display. On older BIOS, this would knock out the GPU for several reboots, even clearing CMOS won't help, then suddenly it would find it again. The most recent BIOS, now causes total the blank screen, mouse etc wont respond by lighting up but I haven't had it where it won't detect the GPU for a while.

Associate
This is correct: http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Dram voltage at 1.4v and SOC at 1.1 is fairly universal. Your procodt may differ. You need to find what works. Some say 53.3 works for them, but 60 seems to work for me. More is not always better as far as I understand with ProcODT.

Yea, if you found your ram unstable using DOCP which sets 1.35v try 1.4v.

Trying 3066MHz again with my Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (SK Hynix) memories and looking good so far. Started 12 instances of HCI memtest giving them approx 1150mb each, passing a two hour test (perhaps should run even longer though). Also tried a number of warm and coldboots.

Don't think my setup liked procODT 60ohm though thus still running 53.3. This time manually setting SoC to 1.1 and dram to 1.375. These three are the only settings configuring manually except from d.o.c.p and the fan profiles.

Soldato
Trying 3066MHz again with my Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (SK Hynix) memories and looking good so far. Started 12 instances of HCI memtest giving them approx 1150mb each, passing a two hour test (perhaps should run even longer though). Also tried a number of warm and coldboots.

Don't think my setup liked procODT 60ohm though thus still running 53.3. This time manually setting SoC to 1.1 and dram to 1.375. These three are the only settings configuring manually except from d.o.c.p and the fan profiles.

Two hours is probably fine. I did mine for 400% as I found a page on an overclocking forum that would only accept results that passed 400% so I went with that.

Soldato
Hi All,

Sorry to ask a stupid question that's probably been asked a hundred times before, but would you guys recommend the X370 Prime Pro?

I checked through some of the initial pages but I wondered if it was still recommended after it's had BIOS updates.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom