ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Associate
OP
From the Asus press room page thingy on their website

"ROG SWIFT PG279Q is a 27-inch WQHD 2560x1440 display with IPS technology for wide 178 degree viewing angles. It has an ultra-fast 144Hz refresh rate and features NVIDIA G-SYNC technology for smooth, lag-free visuals. ROG SWIFT has extensive connectivity options that include DisplayPort and HDMI."

So HDMI an option now? Always a good thing.

Associate
OP
Going by previous announcements vs release dates etc Id guess it will be more towards the end of this year possibly early next.

The price... well if they were asking £600 before VAT for premium TN panel Id say around £699 before VAT at least.

All guess work at the moment. Seen no official news on price or availability yet.

Associate
OP
I wish we had more of a release date to go off. Even the month would do.

I was unfortunate enough to try the Acer XB270HU. Frickin awesome screen, crap build and flooded with major issues.

After 3 attempts and 3 failures im now looking at the PG278Q. But it would be silly to buy that if the PG279Q comes out in like a months time.

I cant stand this awful screen tear I now have after upgrading my rig. Using a Dell U2711 at the moment, great monitor but cant keep up anymore it seems.

The thought of waiting and having to deal with it until potentially almost xmas is not appealing lol

Associate
OP
Any news on the chase? :) I'm undecided if I should wait for this one or grab the PG278Q.

It's the IPS glow I'm really concerned about. So many "modern" panels seem to have a nasty yellow glow and worse... the retailers/manufacturers think its acceptable.

If that ends up being the case then I'm back to TN for this one.

Associate
OP
For those holding their breath. Don't. Update from Asus is that samples now currently expected mid October. I don't expect it to be available to buy until Dec if that holds true

Damn... if that's the case then Ill pick the PG278Q or something else. Don't fancy hanging around that long :(

Associate
OP
So stock is due in any day now? Sweet!

Fingers crossed it was worth the wait.

Happy to see the pixel warranty on it as well now. Good stuff.

Associate
OP
Mine has shipped.

Will most likely be Tuesday before I see it though :(

2 working day via DPD cancels the weekend out.

Living on an island sucks sometimes :)

Associate
OP
Well I've had mine for a few days now and It is ALMOST perfect.

There is a TINY amount of back light bleed in 2 spots in the top right corner. Nothing to complain about really as you just never see it even on dark scenes unless you go looking for it. The IPS glow is no worse than my Dell U2711 sitting next to it. Not quite the sunrise in the bottom right corner which apparently was "acceptable" on the XB270HU. No dead pixels or dirt stuck in the screen either. Looking at you Acer....

However... as in Hexus.net's review the difference in Luminance of the top 3rd of the screen is noticeably a little bit darker than the rest of the monitor. Only noticeable on white backgrounds etc. Some might not even notice it. I only did because I went looking for any issues the second I turned it on.
I thought maybe it was an issue with just mine however seeing their testing results shows that it appears to be more of a common thing with this monitor. Id imagine tftcentral's review will show something similar.

A minor gripe but still something that should/could be rectified in later batches.

Its a great monitor and it's awesome to game on. Worth that kind of money though? ... No.

I only recommend buying this monitor if like me, you spend more time than you should infront of the PC and can justify paying a premium for something like this. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I assume the very slight brownish tint on white backgrounds towards the top of the screen would be caused by the luminance being lower in that region of the screen?

I saw Hexus.net and TFTcentral's both show a similar reduction in luminance towards the top.

I'm thinking it must be but just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with it before I declare I'm keeping it :)

Associate
OP
Anyone else having issues with colour uniformity with this screen?

I know I mentioned before the brightness dip towards the top but it is actually starting to annoy me to the point I might return it.

It adds a sort of ultralight brownish tinge to the screen on white/light coloured webpages etc. Noticeable from about 4 inches from the top of screen across the whole width of the monitor. I guess slightly worse in top left.

I don't expect perfect but it's been bugging me a bit now.

PCM2 did kindly reply saying it was quite normal but I'd expect to see more complaining about it considering how much it's annoying me :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Mine is/was almost good. IPS glow is acceptable , the backlight bleed in the top right is pretty minor.

Can't get over the awful uniformity of the screen though. the top 30% ish of the screen is noticeably darker on light coloured/white webpages etc. Adds a brownish tinge to white and is always noticeable.

I've used a few different IPS screens over the years by Dell, Apple etc and no issues at all.

Not a "Premium" panel in my eyes. As a result mine it's going back.

I've had it now with 144hz IPS G-Sync panels. I've personally been through 4 XB270HU's , 3 PG278Q's and now finally this PG279Q.

All of them have had genuine faults including severe IPS glow + BLB, dead pixels , inversion and dirt stuck inside the screen.

Seriously come on... I think us enthusiasts/gamers etc are being taken for a ride with these screens. It's become pretty clear that the panels made but AU Optronics or whoever else is making them cant get it right and quite simply... the tech isn't ready. That or Acer/Asus just can't build them properly.

So yeah I've given up. All the money I've lost and time wasted shipping them was for nothing other than to learn a simple life lesson = "If it looks too good to be true, It probably is"

If you have a decent screen then awesome enjoy it! :)

Me... well I'm going to try ultrawide or something.

Associate
OP
I tried to capture the brightness/colour difference at the top of the screen....

PdVEnFo.jpg

Right there is the reason mine has gone back. It's hard to get a picture of but I noticed the luminance variation the minute I turned it on the first time.

Not acceptable for a "Premium" IPS panel.

Casual eye probably wouldn't notice but using it on facebook, twitter, google, youtube etc you can't help but notice the colour shift.

Associate
OP
Anyone having any issues with White uniformity now? I grabbed one at launch and sent it back because the top 3rd of the screen was noticeably darker with a slight yellow tint.

Might not be a deal breaker for some but I noticed it the second I maximized a youtube page. I tried to ignore it but without even thinking about it I saw it every time.

I currently have a XB271HU on pre-order but I really wanted the PG279Q. Only tried once so debating if it's worth another shot now that it's been a few months.

Back
Top Bottom