ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Caporegime
Ordered one today should get it tomorrow will ...

Do some side by side comparisons with my PG278Q ..

If i am not happy with what i see its going back ..

Loved my 278 whilst I had it tbh, damn good quality for a TN and the response was amazing!! Just missed a bit more real estate, and don't do a great deal of gaming tbh

Associate
Loved my 278 whilst I had it tbh, damn good quality for a TN and the response was amazing!! Just missed a bit more real estate, and don't do a great deal of gaming tbh

Yes same here I love my PG278Q ill never sell it i love it and have never had one problem with it ,The only down side for me with the monitor is the color shift and the vertical change when moving my head because of the TN factor , The only way to describe it is like looking at crushed velvet ,There are no bleeds on this monitor unlike this new model but i cant help my self just need one to do some testing ,if it grows on me and its not as bad as all are saying ill be keeping it ,I Just want to get a monitor that as no color shift and can do what the 278Q can do as well ,But if its really this bad as people are saying then its hasta la vista not wasting £750 bucks ...

Associate
OP
Well I've had mine for a few days now and It is ALMOST perfect.

There is a TINY amount of back light bleed in 2 spots in the top right corner. Nothing to complain about really as you just never see it even on dark scenes unless you go looking for it. The IPS glow is no worse than my Dell U2711 sitting next to it. Not quite the sunrise in the bottom right corner which apparently was "acceptable" on the XB270HU. No dead pixels or dirt stuck in the screen either. Looking at you Acer....

However... as in Hexus.net's review the difference in Luminance of the top 3rd of the screen is noticeably a little bit darker than the rest of the monitor. Only noticeable on white backgrounds etc. Some might not even notice it. I only did because I went looking for any issues the second I turned it on.
I thought maybe it was an issue with just mine however seeing their testing results shows that it appears to be more of a common thing with this monitor. Id imagine tftcentral's review will show something similar.

A minor gripe but still something that should/could be rectified in later batches.

Its a great monitor and it's awesome to game on. Worth that kind of money though? ... No.

I only recommend buying this monitor if like me, you spend more time than you should infront of the PC and can justify paying a premium for something like this. :)

Last edited:
Associate
The antiglare coating is really starting to annoy me. Anything remotely dark, I can see myself being reflected and the wall behind me and this room isnt even well lit. Just one light.

If I face the backside of my white phone at the screen I can see the phones white backside on it lol.

So I feel the monitor wont do games with poor lighting justice, such as Alien Isolation or poorly lit interiors in lets say Fallout 4,

Associate
I don't post often but I've been around for a while.

So just got one of these and I also have a PG278Q (which I just RMAed and have to pickup the replacement for which arrived at my office).

The PG279Q I got has no apparent defects, I can't see any lightbleed (at least nothing like you see on smartphones and tablets), there is some glow when you have a totally dark background.

My opinion, very nice colors, feels like higher definition than PG278q alsmot. Very uniform image all over the screen, for sure it shows IPS is in another league as far as image quality.

I consider myself to being very sensitive to input lag, motion etc. I definitely feel like the PG279Q is laggier than the PG278Q, not in the input lag but on how smooth the motion appears on the screen. I feel that when you move your mouse, the speed is there, it tracks nicely the mouse movement, but the image is blurrier than on the PG278Q.

So for now, totally sold on the better image quality but not so sure about gaming performance if you are very sensitive to motion quickness/smoothness.

I'll have to try some more.

Associate
I don't post often but I've been around for a while.

So just got one of these and I also have a PG278Q (which I just RMAed and have to pickup the replacement for which arrived at my office).

The PG279Q I got has no apparent defects, I can't see any lightbleed (at least nothing like you see on smartphones and tablets), there is some glow when you have a totally dark background.

My opinion, very nice colors, feels like higher definition than PG278q alsmot. Very uniform image all over the screen, for sure it shows IPS is in another league as far as image quality.

I consider myself to being very sensitive to input lag, motion etc. I definitely feel like the PG279Q is laggier than the PG278Q, not in the input lag but on how smooth the motion appears on the screen. I feel that when you move your mouse, the speed is there, it tracks nicely the mouse movement, but the image is blurrier than on the PG278Q.

So for now, totally sold on the better image quality but not so sure about gaming performance if you are very sensitive to motion quickness/smoothness.

I'll have to try some more.

It is a lot blurrier than my XL2411Z.
Even at 120fps it feels like its smeary, and 60fps is double that, Witcher 3 is almost unplayable due to how smeary it is for me on this monitor.

60fps on the XL2411Z isnt smeary and 120 is crisp.

Associate
It is a lot blurrier than my XL2411Z.
Even at 120fps it feels like its smeary, and 60fps is double that, Witcher 3 is almost unplayable due to how smeary it is for me on this monitor.
60fps on the XL2411Z isnt smeary and 120 is crisp.

I actually have a XL2411 too but I only used it a few days while the PG278Q is being rmaed and the PG279Q delivered.
I'll have to play some more to decide if it bothers me so much or not.

But the image is so nice... might have to keep both the 278Q and 279Q...

Associate
I actually have a XL2411 too but I only used it a few days while the PG278Q is being rmaed and the PG279Q delivered.
I'll have to play some more to decide if it bothers me so much or not.

But the image is so nice... might have to keep both the 278Q and 279Q...

I might return mine, its dizzying with the amount of blur.

Though I love having 2.2 gamma across the entire screen unlike my XL where the avg central gamma is like 1.6 and thus the bottom half of the screen is washed out and the top half is halfdecent but not great.

Man of Honour
I might return mine, its dizzying with the amount of blur.

Though I love having 2.2 gamma across the entire screen unlike my XL where the avg central gamma is like 1.6 and thus the bottom half of the screen is washed out and the top half is halfdecent but not great.

what settings are you running on the screen for OD mode, refresh rate? are you using G-sync or ULMB?

Back
Top Bottom