ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Associate
OP
Anyone else having issues with colour uniformity with this screen?

I know I mentioned before the brightness dip towards the top but it is actually starting to annoy me to the point I might return it.

It adds a sort of ultralight brownish tinge to the screen on white/light coloured webpages etc. Noticeable from about 4 inches from the top of screen across the whole width of the monitor. I guess slightly worse in top left.

I don't expect perfect but it's been bugging me a bit now.

PCM2 did kindly reply saying it was quite normal but I'd expect to see more complaining about it considering how much it's annoying me :)

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone else having issues with colour uniformity with this screen?

I know I mentioned before the brightness dip towards the top but it is actually starting to bug me to the point I might return it.

It adds a sort of ultralight brownish tinge to the screen on white/light coloured webpages etc. Noticeable from about 4 inches from the top of screen across the whole width of the monitor. I guess slightly worse in top left.

I don't expect perfect but it's been bugging me a bit now.

PCM2 did kindly reply saying it was quite normal but I'd expect to see more complaining about it considering how much it's bugging me :)

I have no brightness difference at the top.

I do have on the right side though, a slightly darker shade when I move my browser there.

Anyway the entire display seem to have some "clouding" around it, noticable if I move the browser around with a grey background. Otherwise not noticable for me.

Associate
Hi all ....

I am sending my PG279Q back ? WHY!

This monitor is amazing in allot of ways but for me fails in other ways ,I see that allot of people are bothered by the back light bleed i see next none on this monitor and on blacks it don't really worry me any ways ,

The newer model for me as allot to offer when it comes to monitors ie better color, higher refresh rate ? hmm, better view angles ,

But fails in other things ,From doing some homework online and reading reviews and testing sites found out that the higher refresh is in fact slower then the 144hz so higher means nothing its just a gimmick .

But my main reason for sending this back is due to noticeable ghosting on the desktop ,when moving the cursor. so if i can see it that there then I can see it ingame >?

The PG278Q I get no ghosting that i can see nor pickup on which is great and will be sticking to this monitor until IPS panels get better MS counts ,Asus and monitor companies have moved on so fast in one year so this time next year we should see a 1ms IPS ..

1ms vs 4ms I can notice it, some will say you cant but after using a monitor with 1ms for so long then changing to a higher one it stands out ... The only thing i will miss on the newer model is the better color and the screen just look some what sharper & clearer .But all so the PG278Q as an amazing image for a TN panel the best out there I would say at 1440p .

But too overcome the color matching on my PG278Q I have just made the Nvidia Digital Vibrance to 70 and now looks pretty close to the PG279Q color..

Not saying that PG279Q is a bad monitor because its not ,its an amazing monitor if you do more then just game this is the monitor for ,But if you don't all ready own the PG278Q then I would go for the newer model forsure .

Happy days ...

Associate
But fails in other things ,From doing some homework online and reading reviews and testing sites found out that the higher refresh is in fact slower then the 144hz so higher means nothing its just a gimmick .

But my main reason for sending this back is due to noticeable ghosting on the desktop ,when moving the cursor. so if i can see it that there then I can see it ingame >?

Its a gimmick on slow panels.

Theres a white trail behind my mousepointer in the OS against a dark grey background.

Associate
Was looking for some advice from you more knowledgable folks!

All the games I play are basically not what I'd call high level graphics. It's more from the competitive side.

CS:GO LEM rank
Starcraft II
League
Bit of wow with friends.

Right now I have a 60hz monitor and would love to upgrade.

It's literally for playing games on and not much else and I'll be sitting at my desk playing. I don't plug in a console or sit on the couch watching movies.

My question is what is the better choice for me, the older TN or the new IPS variant. For me higher scores are more important that graphics and colours, I play cs in 1920, my PC specs are good but again not crazy.

The main stats difference is see is 4ms vs 1ms response time but I have no way to quatify or test that difference or would I even be able to tell!?

What suits fps and Purely competitive style gaming?

Thoughts would be great! Apologies for the vagueness of the questions as I'm not too familiar with newer displays!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
Was looking for some advice from you more knowledgable folks!

All the games I play are basically are not what I'd call high level graphics. It's more from the competitive side.

CS:GO LEM rank
Starcraft II
League
Bit of wow with friends.

Right now I have a 60hz monitor and would love to upgrade.

It's literally for playing games on and not much else and I'll be sitting at my desk playing. I don't plug in a console or sit on bye couch watching movies.

My question is for the older TN or get the IPS variant. For me higher scores are more important that graphics and colours, I play cs in 1920, my PC specs are good but again not crazy.

Thoughts would be great!

Thanks!

For CS, this monitor is very blurry compared to TN variants.

Associate
For CS, this monitor is very blurry compared to TN variants.
Last night I went into the nvidia settings and knocked the vibrancy settings up a couple of notches. The difference in CS and Alien Isolation was amazing. It won't be for everybody but if you like your colours to jump out at you then experiment with the vibrancy settings.

Associate
For those of you that own this monitor, would you say it was £750 good? I am so tempted by this but that is a hell of a lot of money and I am not a rich man! The money would come out my savings and be hard to replace. :p Im not just a gamer by any means, I do a lot of digital art so I cannot do without an IPS screen. The thing is I love playing fast paced shooters and im prone to headaches with the constant turning around :( I play BF4 every day and I love playing Call of Duty as well but that one really does give me a headache :p

Associate
For those of you that own this monitor, would you say it was £750 good? I am so tempted by this but that is a hell of a lot of money and I am not a rich man! The money would come out my savings and be hard to replace. :p Im not just a gamer by any means, I do a lot of digital art so I cannot do without an IPS screen. The thing is I love playing fast paced shooters and im prone to headaches with the constant turning around :( I play BF4 every day and I love playing Call of Duty as well but that one really does give me a headache :p

For what it is worth, I bought the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q on release day and it appears I got fairly lucky. It has zero dead pixels, no dirt and excellent colour uniformity. It has a tiny bit of backlight bleed in the top right but acceptable by my standards.

The main issue everyone will have is the IPS glow in the bottom right corner.
I doubt there are any screens with these specs that have none at all so it depends how much this winds you up. It is definitely glow because if you move your head either side it exaggerates or disappears. The main problem is that if you sit centre screen, about 3 feet away... the glow in the bottom right is small, but noticeable in dark games. Twisting the screen can almost make this invisible but you are then viewing from an unusual angle and reflections/glare come in to it.

Everything else can be tweaked... FPS, refresh rate, G-sync, brightness, gamma, 6 user settings and as previously mentioned if you prefer your colours to 'pop' then tweak the vibrancy settings in nvidia control panel.

It's a lot of money for all of us seeking gaming heaven, but if its IPS, G-Sync, 144-165hz, 27", with a bit of glow thrown in for measure then ask yourself the questions....
a) "Can I put up with a slight glow?"
and...
b) "Do I feel lucky?"

So... do ya?

Associate
then ask yourself the questions....
a) "Can I put up with a slight glow?"
and...
b) "Do I feel lucky?"

So... do ya?

No not really LOL! :p What im really trying to work out is how easy this new PG279Q is on the eyes when playing FPS games. At the moment when playing shooters, as I pan around quickly it is of course blurry and i cant track my enemy so well. My eyes then feel blurry with it after playing too long - does that make any sense?

I think what Im looking for is a screen thats much cooler on the eyes in this fast paced kinda games!

Associate
Last night I went into the nvidia settings and knocked the vibrancy settings up a couple of notches. The difference in CS and Alien Isolation was amazing. It won't be for everybody but if you like your colours to jump out at you then experiment with the vibrancy settings.

Blurry != Colors.

And why would I want to increase vibrancy and lose shades of colors?

Back
Top Bottom