ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Mobster
Soldato
TN panels have come a long way. IPS is very nice minus the glow.

It's still a TN.

Look at it this way. The only downside to IPS is glow. Like the TN's cringe vertical colour shift, you dont notice it when gaming.

The only reason to not recommend IPS is due to the baffling QC issues at the moment.

Soldato
what you need to understand is when they b grade something the person doing it just assigns it there. They dont adjust the price they cant be bothered. Discussing this with the CS staff they dont look after the b grade section very well thats why you will see strange pricing. It doesnt make them much profit and often is sold at a loss even when its in good nick.

If there is something you see in b grade you quite fancy post a message in the CS forum asking them to adjust the price for it being b grade. Within a couple of hours it will be dropped quite a bit then you can snap it up. Done this a few times.

People don't realise this and sometimes you can get the jump on these items. Although sometimes they have dropped the price drastically and you suffer the risk of some chump gazumping you and nicking the bargain unless you keep refreshing the page !

Associate
Is it safe to buy one of these now? Have the build issues been resolved?

I am going to need a new monitor for my build and this one was top of my list.

Soldato
Is it safe to buy one of these now? Have the build issues been resolved?

I am going to need a new monitor for my build and this one was top of my list.

These didnt really have build issues AFAIK. It was more to do whether the level of IPS glow or bad light bleed was acceptable.

Mine bought last month has 0 Blb and small about of IPS glow bottom right.

Soldato
Reading around online, the upcoming Acer XB271HU seems to have the edge in terms of the BLB/glow issues, as it's already released stateside. Still no guarantee, but the Asus seems far worse based on what I've been reading on various forums. Bit of a gamble buying ANY monitor these days though, so always have it in your mind that you may have to return whatever you go for. I went through x4 of the Acer XB270HU's before giving up, due to excessive BLB/dirt behind the screen. I will be trying the XB271 when it's available, but I have lost so much confidence in monitors now, I will not be holding my breath.

Associate
Thanks guys. I took the plunge and ordered one, see what I get!

Legend - it was bad when I bought my first lcd monitor 11 years ago, first one I got had been bashed up during transit the screen worked fine and was perfect no dead pixels etc... but the back of the monitor housing was caved in and only attached on one corner. The replacement I got has a stuck (bright green) pixel just off centre right in the middle of the screen. Needless to say I wasn't happy with it but the company I bought it from wouldn't do anything else as it was a replacement monitor. I was gutted and quite cross at the time as it was a lot of money that it cost me. I managed to do a few massaging tricks and lessen the brightness of it but its still there today.

Soldato
Reading around online, the upcoming Acer XB271HU seems to have the edge in terms of the BLB/glow issues, as it's already released stateside. Still no guarantee, but the Asus seems far worse based on what I've been reading on various forums. Bit of a gamble buying ANY monitor these days though, so always have it in your mind that you may have to return whatever you go for. I went through x4 of the Acer XB270HU's before giving up, due to excessive BLB/dirt behind the screen. I will be trying the XB271 when it's available, but I have lost so much confidence in monitors now, I will not be holding my breath.

I think you should have put

"seems to have the edge in terms of minimal BLB/glow issues"

as It confused me at first why you would state its the worst for BLB/glow issues then buy one !

:)

Associate
The one I bought when they first came out did have a horrible uniformity issue at the top of the screen, even after changing to the colours which was near the tftcentral change, the top bit of google looked brown :o, had a pixel issue but didn't have any bleed. Sent it back.

Left it for awhile and was following a thread on another forum, so I thought I'd try it again. The new one I have now is a Dec build which is the latest from what I've read, the uniformity issue is still there but not as bad as it was, but when your paying 700 quid it shouldn't be anywhere near that bad anyway. But the biggest reason I'm sending it back is the god awful yellow bleeding. Not trying another, just isn't worth the cash, seems the premium is just the features and brand not quality.

Associate
Well, mine just died after 7 months good use. Faded out while playing Witcher 3, I thought it was just transitioning to a cutscene, but it faded to white and then threw up some random RGB pixels around the place.

Boxed up awaiting a responce from ASUS RMA.

Back
Top Bottom