• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ASUS STRIX AMD VEGA 64, under £450, interested?

Would you buy ASUS STRIX VEGA 64 UNDER £450 with FREE GAMES?

• HELL YES!

Votes: 80 53.7%
  • NO CHANCE!

Votes: 69 46.3%

• Total voters
OcUK Staff
OP
Gibbo this is what I mean by the way the p-states and the bios is configured, out the box they run way below the nitro and red devil v64.
There's also reviews showing how bad the heatsoak is from the power regulation and pcb temps. I have also seen a few posts with unhappy users and high temps on tis forum.

We need @Boomstick777 to comment as maybe it was earlier batches, all I know is we've sold a lot of these recently from previous free headset deal with them and not had any unexpected returns and the cooler in general keeps the card cool.

Soldato
We need @Boomstick777 to comment as maybe it was earlier batches, all I know is we've sold a lot of these recently from previous free headset deal with them and not had any unexpected returns and the cooler in general keeps the card cool.
I'm not trying to troll, you sold me a reference v64 back in November. Hopefully the later bioses are more refined, but from my observations these cards aren't as good.
But sure look forward to Boomsticks results.

Man of Honour
I won't be buying one because I recently took advantage of the Powercolour Vega 64 deal. But if I hadn't have done that, then I probably would have been interested at around £400 to possibly £430. The reason I suggest that price is that the Strix doesn't seem to have as good cooling as the Powercolour. Also the new Nvidia cards are out now which is resulting in quite a few cards on the MM.

So yes to a deal but I think £450 is just a tiny, tiny bit higher than I would have paid for one.

Soldato

Only just got my card today, build quality is superb. Temps are good, cooler only seems to run around 10% - 20% during some of the games I played, keeps temps in the 70's.

My default clock is 1630Mhz, let me check what happens in games. Will post back later.

p3d.png

Permabanned
No they are not!
Strix beats the Sapphire for cooling and is on parr with the Devil.
Asus also has a 3yr advanced warranty through OcUK.

Where did you see that?
The comparisons I've seen show the Asus Strix trailing the other Nitro and Red Devil.

Sorry I see this has already been discussed, The one thing the Asus Vega would be better for is the 3 year OCUK warranty.

Permabanned
One thing I note from that video review, the temps of the Strix are no higher than other coolers, but they have it running 200MHz slower, almost like they downclocked?
In their review the boost is around 1400MHz, yet the actual boost clock on the Strix is 1590MHz.

Maybe @Boomstick777 can comment in this thread on the boost clocks his card runs at and temps because that reviews seems very suspect in trying to show the Asus performing badly, yet what can be seen is its not running hot but running way below its advertised speeds.

From what I've seen none of the Vega's run at their advertised clock speeds out of the box, I've had and tested for this with the reference LE, Nitro+ LE & the Red Devil. I've posted about it in the past.

Soldato
Lol I bought a Red Devil from another store earlier today for £459. Which was the cheapest I could find (the ***** reduced it to 450 hours later! :( ) But it did come with 3 games and free headphones :D

I don't hear good things about the Asus though, some say they found it slower than the reference cards O_o

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol I bought a Red Devil from another store earlier today for £459. Which was the cheapest I could find (the ***** reduced it to 450 hours later! :( ) But it did come with 3 games and free headphones :D

I don't hear good things about the Asus though, some say they found it slower than the reference cards O_o

459 with the headphones is great value. What I can say were I bought the Nitro+ for £500 (and FC5 only) just 3 weeks before the Red Devil came to the market at £450 with 3 games I wanted more than FC5? :(

Associate
Any chance of a deal on the 56 as well as was hoping to not have to replace my PSU so soon? Tempted by the red dragon but struggling to justify the cost against a 2 year warranty.

Soldato
Ok ran a few games at 4K and then Valley set to Extreme HD preset, max boost is around 1570MHz. That's with default setup and wattman set to turbo.

Fans came up to max of about 61% and card is still quiet, GPU temp around 70c

0gI6M5z.png

Soldato
459 with the headphones is great value. What I can say were I bought the Nitro+ for £500 (and FC5 only) just 3 weeks before the Red Devil came to the market at £450 with 3 games I wanted more than FC5? :(

Yep I got Assassins Creed Odyssey, Strange Brigade and Star Control Origins. That's what... £110 just in games? Plus the crappy gaming headphones.

Then I'll sell my rx480 to get some back for that too :)

Soldato
Yep I got Assassins Creed Odyssey, Strange Brigade and Star Control Origins. That's what... £110 just in games? Plus the crappy gaming headphones.

Then I'll sell my rx480 to get some back for that too :)

Pay a visit to the Vega 64 discussion thread, and also we have there some great tweaks to start with undevolting and overclocking. So cutting power consumption and improving perf at same stroke :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Any chance of a deal on the 56 as well as was hoping to not have to replace my PSU so soon? Tempted by the red dragon but struggling to justify the cost against a 2 year warranty.

Afraid not sorry, Powercolor at £399 is pretty much as good as it gets there, 56's are pretty scarce.

Soldato
Here's some thermal image of the strix vs the powercolor around the vrms.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rx-vega64-strix-oc,5520-5.html
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/powercolor-red-devil-rx-vega-64-8gb,review-34369-6.html
Ok ran a few games at 4K and then Valley set to Extreme HD preset, max boost is around 1570MHz. That's with default setup and wattman set to turbo.

Fans came up to max of about 61% and card is still quiet, GPU temp around 70c

0gI6M5z.png
Looks like you have a good one, here's one that wasn't. Hopefully Asus has sorted out the latest batch.
Here's one that wasn't back in June,
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/vega-64-vr-soc-vr-mem-temps-100c.18823243/

Back
Top Bottom