Asus UL30A

Soldato
hold on a sec before you shell out £100.

I've installed Win 7 from a retail copy of Windows 7 Home edition, used the notebook key, and it worked for me. but it's not a OEM version, which could be your problem.

Also, 'apparently' you can download Windows Home edition (no hacks) from microsoft. Haven't tried though.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/win...-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html

Basically, if you can grab a copy of Win 7 home edition retail (from friends, work, familly, microsoft...), and use the key under the laptop, you should be all right.
That didn't work. :( I tried the W7 x64 ISO and used the key from the UL30 in a VirtualBox environment and no go.

Gux

Gux

Associate
Anyone know where can I get Asus UL80VT model in the UK for £400? The model I am after has Celeron SU2300 CPU, not the Core 2 Duo SU7300. PC World, Dixons & Currys used to sell them but it seems it has gone out of stock everyone all of a sudden...

Associate
Anyone have this connected to network drives over the wireless??

Very annoying issue: Start up the laptop, windows says it cannot connect to the drives. This is because the wireless hasn't turned on yet, and usually comes on 5 secs or so later!

Any way i can force it to stay on? Why isn't there a hardware switch!!

Associate
Anyone know where can I get Asus UL80VT model in the UK for £400? The model I am after has Celeron SU2300 CPU, not the Core 2 Duo SU7300. PC World, Dixons & Currys used to sell them but it seems it has gone out of stock everyone all of a sudden...

Im in the same boat - I cant find this any where and I think it would be perfect for my next year of uni as it'll save me a lot of hassle.

Any one seen any in teh wilds?

Soldato
Acer 3810TZG (LX.PED02.015) for £400 looks like the best deal out there at the moment if the ASUS is unavailable. I'm sorely tempted by one to use as a travel companion and for the F1 live timing etc when on the sofa.

Associate
Soldato
AND that laptop doesn't come with an optical drive, so watch out :p

That's the entire point. Ultra-portable notebooks sacrifice raw performance and an optical drive for the sake of being lighter, thinner and offering very impressive battery life.

Seems like a legitimate enough company to me, they've got a physical showroom in any case so I can't see any issues. housejunkie shouldn't really be linking to competitors in the first place however.

Associate
That's the entire point. Ultra-portable notebooks sacrifice raw performance and an optical drive for the sake of being lighter, thinner and offering very impressive battery life.

Seems like a legitimate enough company to me, they've got a physical showroom in any case so I can't see any issues. housejunkie shouldn't really be linking to competitors in the first place however.

mhmm i spose, just had read reviews of the company and people said they have terrible customer service when trying to send back or get their laptop repaired, but ye, does seem a good little company.

Associate
Just been offered a £400 budget by work to get a laptop for my travels (working travels unfortunately :p). Will I get better than this?

The vast majority of the time,Word, Excel, Outlook, MSN Messenger, and either Winamp or Spotify will be running. Will this handle all of that at once?

Will it also handle Football Manager? That's make or break for me ;)

Cheers! Is there anything better for the money?

EDIT: Am also looking at the HP Pavilion DM3-1112SA. Much difference?
hi,
i was wondering did you purchase Asus UL30 and if so how does Football Manager run on it, as i'm thinking of buying one.
thanks

twe

twe

Associate
Am thinking of selling mine as I need something a bit more powerful for video editing....

What sort of prices are these going for?

Thanks.

Caporegime
I wish I bought one of these when the CPW had them!! :( If I had known FM 2010 works fine then that would have convinced me I think.

Need to find a different ULV or slim laptop with a really good battery life for around the same price now.

Back
Top Bottom