ASUS XG438Q 43 inch 120Hz 4K announced

Associate
I like what is going on with AMD could have effected NVIDIA's decisions and timelines on Turing release and HDMI 2.1 implementation. Corporate espionage and all.

Soldato
This is the kind of spec monitor I want. I'm upgrading from a 40 inch Philips 4K screen and this ticks a load of boxes - HDR, 120Hz and VRR (so long as it works with Nvidia cards) primarily. I'm just hoping there will be competitors to this spec to keep the price down.

All the ROG projected logo/styling stuff is nonsense as far as I'm concerned. A waste of resources as I don't care about that.

And another worry I have is that the back of the monitor appears to lack VESA or mounting options - it appears to have a fixed stand. Maybe I'm wrong, but that would be a real shame if that's the case.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If it does work well with nVidia cards @caff then it'll be a pretty ****ing great upgrade and option for all us big screen lovers!!! :cool:

We just gotta wait a good few months for those little guinea pigs to get some :D

Soldato
If it does work well with nVidia cards @caff then it'll be a pretty ****ing great upgrade and option for all us big screen lovers!!! :cool:

We just gotta wait a good few months for those little guinea pigs to get some :D

Agreed, I'm holding out for something like this. It will be an excellent upgrade.

Soldato
I’m a bit new to all this but if it’s Freesync and also G-Sync certified would this be a good choice for both PC (with Nvidia GPU) and an Xbox One X (Freesync)?

It would be great to have one monitor that would satisfy both uses and all of the latest technology!!

Associate
I really wonder where the price of this thing will land. With HDR 600 and a thick back-housing, almost looks like it could have FALD. But they never mention it having FALD, so really not sure if it's just edge-lit "local dimming" which isn't any good.

Soldato
I really wonder where the price of this thing will land. With HDR 600 and a thick back-housing, almost looks like it could have FALD. But they never mention it having FALD, so really not sure if it's just edge-lit "local dimming" which isn't any good.

I don't think it has FALD... they would surely have mentioned it otherwise, and if it did, there would be a strong case for it being HDR-1000. I suspect it will be local dimming and just able to meet that HDR-600 spec.

The other issue is going to be ghosting/smearing, which VA often suffers with, and on a larger screen will be more of an annoyance I suspect. This is an entirely new panel as far as I'm aware though, so maybe this is something they've been working on. At the price it will surely land at, this has to surpass all other VA monitors by some margin. The features they've announced will NOT cut it alone.

Soldato
I have a feeling Nvidia are getting G-sync partners to put all their premium panels in G-Sync monitors

I don't see how a monitor manufacturer would see any reason to do that. Losing sales in a growing sector by moving their superior product in to one that is slowing... from a business perspective that would be nuts.

I think Nvidia have good reason to want every Freesync monitor with their stamp on it to actually deliver a quality experience. There is no benefit in them opening the flood gates and allowing any and every Freesync monitor to have their branding on it. Literally no one wins in that scenario.

Associate
It would be simple, Nvidia gives them cheap G-Sync, they put their premium panels only in G-Sync monitors and cash in with the G-Sync premium price gouge and people will buy them.

Manufacturer cashes in and G-Sync becomes the premium product so if you want that really high end screen you need an Nvidia card.

Remember the same time Nvidia announced the Free-Sync update they also announced G-Sync enabled and G-Sync Ultimate which had to have the very highest image quality.

Last edited:
Soldato
It would be simple, Nvidia gives them cheap G-Sync, they put their premium panels only in G-Sync monitors and cash in with the G-Sync premium price gouge and people will buy them.

Manufacturer cashes in and G-Sync becomes the premium product so if you want that really high end screen you need an Nvidia card.

Remember the same time Nvidia announced the Free-Sync update they also announced G-Sync enabled and G-Sync Ultimate which had to have the very highest image quality.

The thing is, there are PLENTY of very good Freesync monitors out there at the moment with very good panels in them. On top of that, there's no getting away from the fact that Freesync monitors outnumber G-Sync by a not insignificant margin. The consumer has spoken, and the majority aren't willing to pay the G-Sync tax. I do not believe Freesync can handle FALD displays yet, so in that regard G-Sync do have this top end to themselves... simply by default. But given those monitors are north of £1750+, this is the definition of niche. In the mid-range and below, there is no shortage of good quality Freesync monitors, nor do I see any upcoming G-Sync models that are likely to change this.

In fact, take a monitor such as the LG 34GK950F... it's arguably superior to its G-Sync counterpart... they have the same panel but the 'F' versions runs faster due to their being no G-Sync module to limit it, plus features blur reduction.

Last edited:
Associate
This monitor looks very exciting, hopefully a sign of things to come with more manufacturers making the most of dp1.4 and HDMI2.1. Will be interesting to see pricing, availability and a review.

My patreon contribution to TFTcentral reviews is ready and always great value!

Back
Top Bottom