At what age am I allowed my own space?

Soldato
I work hard, it's just in my nature to yearn for my own space. No matter how nice the people I end up living with are I still don't want someone in my house, I feel like they are an intruder - I can never relax.

Totally understandable, but if you cannot afford your own place, you'll have to suck it up. The world doesn't owe you your own space just because you're unhappy sharing with others.

Maybe you ought to consider moving up north? I've my own three bedroom flat for under £500 a month. I'm not saying it's palatial, but it's a good size and looks fine.

But my real point was people telling me I had to go through it for the sake of my age, which I find very weird. Why do I have to accept someone's made up stupid rule?

:D Hilarious. Look, you've got to accept the way the world works. If you lack the income for your own place, then you have to share. That is how life is.

Associate
To be frank - Its not the smartes view to have.

I moved out 5/6 years ago to rent a room off a friend, and at first I dreded it. But after a while it got easier and I know preatty much don't see my mum and dad unless i decide to.

yes its a struggle and I hate the fact its not my own home - but with time that'll come

I have learnt a lot about myself that I didn't realise and that I want to change.

I've also been really hermit like, to the point of ending up being social anxious around rw folks. Getting out of that rut was the hardest thing I've ever done - but I've done it.

Now I find it hard to accept help from my family for things purely because I want to earn it myself.

Nearly got myself out of debt now, and I really hope I can get my own home soon - Cause its a big want of mine - and I know it will help me feel better.

I'd say just get on with it and learn from it what you can rather then going in with negative feelings about it all and basing it on past experiances - My first house share was a nightmare after while and I badly wanted to move back home - looking back now I'm thankful my mum and step dad ripped my old room apart shortly after I left.

Get ya head down and get out there and earn it, and learn from it. But don't let the past experiances taint the future ones.

Caporegime
It is miserable, some people say I'm a cynic but I think I'm just being realistic

If you're lucky enough to live in the developed world instead of working yourself to death in a factory or otherwise impoverished destined to die in a tin shed boiling to death. It's still pretty crap.

Don't you live in France? I might be confused with another poster but regardless, I don't think you're boiling to death in a shed, are you?

I mean people nowadays just screw over other people or they feel entitled to something without earning it. And anyone who does work their arse off only sees a fraction of what they put out while someone else who already has it all wants more and more and more all the time and never pay their dues.

The 'nowadays' is redundant. Some people are jerks, most aren't. Try and work and manage with or be managed by people who aren't.

All the while our government who are supposed to be a democracy and represent the interests of the people systematically screw us over while patting the back of the big business leaders and screwing over the loyal civil servants if they even have a job left to go to on monday.

So what are you doing about this? You're doing something about it, right?

It's ok though, because when they lose their job they can go work in tesco for no wages and they'll get £50 JSA at the end of the week, how good will that be?

That's not true nor fair.

And even outside of all the misery of politics we're all just consumers at the end of it all, and that is all we'll ever be. Working day in day out in jobs we would rather not do to have a little something and then blowing all of our money and borrowing and begging to own the latest crappy gadget we don't need.

Even art has been turned into a consumer driven business, gone are the days when a musician would send in their demo and get a record contract. Lets get some barely competent singers on a tv show, write all their music and then call them a popstar, we'll sell millions to morons.

No one lives any more they're all stuck with their noses poked in iphones looking at what they're going to buy off amazon, looking at what to waste 8 hours watching on television tonight. It's all crap, things were never great but they get worse every year, it's all going backwards, it's like living in a

You either accept it and live with it and make the best of it or you throw yourself off a very tall building while telling the world to eat a big old meaty one. Because nothing and I mean nothing changes.

If you won't change then you're absolutely 100% correct.

Soldato
When you earn it. Nobody is going to give it to you for nothing. Age doesn't come into it - you don't automatically become entitled to anything when you hit a particular birthday. Even the state pension is dependent upon you having worked and paid national insurance contributions for a certain period of time (and it probably won't exist in its current form by the time you retire anyway).

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;26603766 said:
Don't you live in France? I might be confused with another poster but regardless, I don't think you're boiling to death in a shed, are you?
No I'm not, I live in the UK and work sat at a desk bored out of my mind. My point was that most people will buy from companies who produce with sweatshop labour without batting an eye, they might donate to oxfam once a year and say "poverty is a damn shame" but the fact remains that most of the world live in poverty.

The 'nowadays' is redundant. Some people are jerks, most aren't. Try and work and manage with or be managed by people who aren't.
There seems to be more and more ******s these days, I didn't grow up with *****s like this.

So what are you doing about this? You're doing something about it, right?
I do nothing because I'm not stupid enough to think I can change it. Short of blowing the lot of them up there's nothing you can do, we do not live in a democracy. I can go on strike with the rest of them, I can voice my hatred, but it does nothing in reality.

That's not true nor fair.
What is the back to work scheme all about if not allowing companies to underhire while the government provides them slave labour?

If you won't change then you're absolutely 100% correct.
How am I going to change? It's not me that's the problem, it's a million other things.

The only way I can change is to become more ignorant of the worlds problems, I refuse to become more ignorant to increase my own happiness.

Soldato
No I'm not, I live in the UK and work sat at a desk bored out of my mind. My point was that most people will buy from companies who produce with sweatshop labour without batting an eye, they might donate to oxfam once a year and say "poverty is a damn shame" but the fact remains that most of the world live in poverty.

There seems to be more and more ******s these days, I didn't grow up with *****s like this.

I do nothing because I'm not stupid enough to think I can change it. Short of blowing the lot of them up there's nothing you can do, we do not live in a democracy. I can go on strike with the rest of them, I can voice my hatred, but it does nothing in reality.

What is the back to work scheme all about if not allowing companies to underhire while the government provides them slave labour?

How am I going to change? It's not me that's the problem, it's a million other things.

The only way I can change is to become more ignorant of the worlds problems, I refuse to become more ignorant to increase my own happiness.

This sort of attitude is what is wrong with the country.

Soldato
This sort of attitude is what is wrong with the country.

Why? Because I'm unprepared to ignore everything that is wrong with the world?

Oh wouldn't life be so much simpler if we had a country full of ignorant small minded morons who just wanted to watch the telescreen and take soma...

Last edited:
Permabanned
No I'm not, I live in the UK and work sat at a desk bored out of my mind.

You've made a lot of posts recently moaning about your job. Perhaps if you did something else that didn't bore you where you worked with people you actually liked you wouldn't be such a complete and utter misery.

There are bad things in life. Nothing new. The kids aren't getting worse, they're just getting more media coverage than they did when you were a kid yourself. Being aware of the problems in society doesn't mean you have to take them personally, it just means you're aware of them. Jesus Christ, if I let my mood and general level of contentedness be dictated by the bad things that have always happened but that don't directly affect me I'd have taken a razor to my jugular years ago. :/

Soldato
You've made a lot of posts recently moaning about your job. Perhaps if you did something else that didn't bore you where you worked with people you actually liked you wouldn't be such a complete and utter misery.
Yes I'll go back to university for another 5 years and spend £60k for the privelege shall I? Then I'll start at the bottom again and work my way all the way up in a career I won't be as good at.

Oh and it may shock you - I'm not disliked at work, just not chummy or really pretending to be interested in anyone elses lives. Outside of work I have a very active social life, inside of work I couldn't care less.

I also mentioned I'm not miserable, I said the world is a miserable desolate place. I accept that, if I didn't accept that I would be in a wooden overcoat.

Things have always sucked but they suck even more nowadays as we slowly descend into some kind of anti intellectual dictatorship run by the big business leaders. Every year it gets worse, and it will do for hundreds of years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why? Because I'm not deluded enough to think that one man could take down the government? Could take down big business? Could stop us from where we're headed?

It's not about defeat - the war is over.

One man can achieve greatness through the strength of his will alone, but those are usually exceptional men in exceptional circumstances. For the rest of us, working together with like minded individuals is the medium through which we can achieve change.

I've a crazy proposition for you: Join a political party, campaign group or similar and become an activist. Maybe your contributions will help make that change.

Of course, you won't do that... because languishing in your own misery is something you enjoy.

Caporegime
Why? Because I'm unprepared to ignore everything that is wrong with the world?

What's the alternative? Okay, you don't have to ignore everything, but in the vast majority of cases you can't make a difference.

Human greed is the single most powerful motivation on the planet, and the principle driving force for both business and politics. The most powerful men tend to be greedy and corrupt.

Do you think nobody else knows this? We all know this. There isn't anything you can do, except get on with your own life.

This is why sending all those billions to Africa since the 80s has mostly achieved nothing. The powerful are greedy and corrupt, and you can only replace one set of bad eggs with another set of bad eggs. There are no good eggs.

Permabanned
Yes I'll go back to university for another 5 years and spend £60k for the privelege shall I? Then I'll start at the bottom again and work my way all the way up in a career I won't be as good at.

Surely that's preferable to living the rest of your working life in a tedious drudgery? :confused:

Oh and it may shock you - I'm not disliked at work, just not chummy or really pretending to be interested in anyone elses lives. Outside of work I have a very active social life, inside of work I couldn't care less.

It does.

I also mentioned I'm not miserable, I said the world is a miserable desolate place. I accept that, if I didn't accept that I would be in a wooden overcoat.

Things have always sucked but they suck even more nowadays as we slowly descend into some kind of anti intellectual dictatorship run by the big business leaders. Every year it gets worse, and it will do for hundreds of years.

Well if you're not miserable, you bloody well are making me miserable. :p

Soldato
One man can achieve greatness through the strength of his will alone, but those are usually exceptional men in exceptional circumstances. For the rest of us, working together with like minded individuals is the medium through which we can achieve change.

I've a crazy proposition for you: Join a political party, campaign group or similar and become an activist. Maybe your contributions will help make that change.

Of course, you won't do that... because languishing in your own misery is something you enjoy.
Please, I've been there and done that. Nothing changes, doesn't matter if you're working with a huge charity or a small group of trade unionists. Nothing changes - the people behind the problems are too powerful and too organised.

I'm not miserable by the way, I just don't think you should pretend anything is less crap than it is. That's how life is.

What's the alternative? Okay, you don't have to ignore everything, but in the vast majority of cases you can't make a difference.

Human greed is the single most powerful motivation on the planet, and the principle driving force for both business and politics. The most powerful men tend to be greedy and corrupt.

Do you think nobody else knows this? We all know this. There isn't anything you can do, except get on with your own life.

This is why sending all those billions to Africa since the 80s has mostly achieved nothing. The powerful are greedy and corrupt, and you can only replace one set of bad eggs with another set of bad eggs. There are no good eggs.
That's basically paraphrasing my post.

I'm not miserable because the world is a desolate place. I just refuse to pretend it is any different - and the kids these days ought to learn it young.

So sick of these entitled pieces of scum who think the world revolves around them "OH MY GOD I HAVE NO SPACE" well grow a pair and go get some because the world isn't going to do you favours.

Back
Top Bottom