• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Man of Honour
it just looks to blurry TBH

i'd sooner have no AA and some jaggies than have a fuzzy whole screen with no jaggies

think it's being to hyped up to be honest

I don't think its that bad. nVidia tried something similiar in 2000/2001 or so and ditched it mostly because people thought it too blurry - but back then most people ran without AA and at a lower res anyway so its a bit of a different ball game now.

Soldato
Well it certainly looks less vibrant even if its actually not. Not sure what you mean with the tint filter as that would imply a deliberate effect which is not what I'm saying.

Indeed softening some edges can give that perception.
But if the comparison shots were not that some people would not notice.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think its that bad. nVidia tried something similiar in 2000/2001 or so and ditched it mostly because people thought it too blurry - but back then most people ran without AA and at a lower res anyway so its a bit of a different ball game now.

no lol i'm implying i've tried it at 1920x1080 and while yes it gives good performance it just looks to fuzzy to be considered by me, i'd sooner run 2xAA than this offal.

will try it again in the coming months and see if it gets improved

Soldato
Nah, it's not that blurry. I doubt you'd notice the difference during gameplay and all types of AA tend to blur the image slightly anyway. I can't tell the difference between the MSAA and MLAA screenshots of the unigine bench.

I don't have a problem with a little blurring, it makes what are essentially sharp and pixelated images and gives a more realistic feel. That's as long as it doesn't go too for of course. I'll have to give it a try and see.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nah, it's not that blurry. I doubt you'd notice the difference during gameplay and all types of AA tend to blur the image slightly anyway. I can't tell the difference between the MSAA and MLAA screenshots of the unigine bench.

I don't have a problem with a little blurring, it makes what are essentially sharp and pixelated images and gives a more realistic feel. That's as long as it doesn't go too for of course. I'll have to give it a try and see.

The StarCraft look good to.

Soldato
Having played around with this a bit, it definitely has its place, but equally it's not a magic bullet.

The good news is that since it is entirely post-processing, it will work on absolutely anything, which is great for some of those games that don't have inbuilt AA, or require a high level of black magic to get it working reliably on some cards. I've found it particularly nice on some RTS games, and also ingame on FPS's, where it is more the absence of jaggies that matters, as opposed to exactly how smooth they are.

The downside is that as a post-processing filter, it is applied like you would expect a photographic filter to be applied, instead of utilising the code knowledge about a scene's structure. You therefore get AA applied to EVERYTHING. The most noticeable side effect of this is that all menu text is noticeably softened - I would expect this to be a problem in games such as Fallout 3, where text is frequent and important. You're also going to lose some texture detail, although I have to say that this hasn't struck me in the few minutes I have experimented with this effect.

Hopefully those two paragraphs will be of use to some people out there, but I'll end with a question - has anyone been able to discern any difference between the Box/Narrow Tent/Wide Tent/Edge Detect filter options? I can't say I can see a blind bit of difference personally!

Man of Honour
Yeah not a magic bullet but I think it has application to some games - eve online comes to mind tho it may blur the smaller text beyond ideal.

Soldato
Yeah not a magic bullet but I think it has application to some games.

Personally all it needs is sharpening and it will look perfectly in focus and tack sharp.
It should also be easy for AMD to do, as it's post processing, and it might only cost an additional 1 FPS.
What AMD could do, is allow folks to customise how much sharpening they want to see etc.
Additionally they could allow some PP effects akin to how I would PP a photo in Lightroom, and that... would be awesome.

If they can do the above then it becomes the magic bullet.

Back
Top Bottom