• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI/AMD's new Morphological Anti-aliasing

Soldato
Just quickly tested it on Bad Company 2 on my 5850. It seems to improve the image quality - eliminating those pesky jaggies on most surfaces. There are still issues on some surfaces but overall an improvement. The game also runs as smoothly as ever (I didn't record the actual framerate though). It could just be the new graphics driver that is improving things though. Who knows?

Out of curiosity what mode should you select after ticking the 'morphological AA' checkbox? Box is the default AA mode but should you use edge-detect or what?

According to this the filter doesn't work with Bad Company 2 anyway - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850-barts,review-32028-4.html

Last edited:
Soldato
What so use application setting and disable any AA ingame? The image is horrendously jagged if you do that. So maybe it doesn't work with Bad Company 2 afterall.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep.

Just done some Unigine bench runs.

Avg, Min, Max
None - 63, 30, 162
MLAA - 62, 21, 160
4xAA & MLAA - 39, 11, 88
4xAA - 51, 20, 101

I would say that 4xAA looks very slightly better, but it's very close.

Warhead bench DX10
None - 67, 54, 78
MLAA - 67, 54, 78
4xAA - 57, 45, 66

Warhead bench DX9
None - 80, 55, 98
MLAA - 66, 50, 77
4xAA - 46, 30, 60

Last edited:
Associate
Changed the files and i'm able to enable option on 5870, started up Fallout New Vegas but after loading save up screen is blank but I can hear gun shooting with it enabled. Running eyefinity on 6144 * 1152 res so that might be something to do with the problem. Anyone else managed to get this working on the new Fallout ?

Soldato
Ok, this looks like a great feature...

However its another example as to why I do not install the Catalyst control center...

Hear me out:

Lets say you enable the new Morphological AA in the ccc, what settings do you put in the game's display options?

AA of, AA maxed etc etc etc....

I guess one could just experiment and see whats better.....

If I do install the ccc... I dont know what settings to set for a 5870....

Dont not want to make performance worse, and not know that their worse.... but a settings im put in the ccc...

Last edited:
Permabanned
Changed the files and i'm able to enable option on 5870, started up Fallout New Vegas but after loading save up screen is blank but I can hear gun shooting with it enabled. Running eyefinity on 6144 * 1152 res so that might be something to do with the problem. Anyone else managed to get this working on the new Fallout ?
I've got it working, running it at 5760x1200, it works very well, removes most jaggies.

Soldato
Just quickly tested it on Bad Company 2 on my 5850. It seems to improve the image quality - eliminating those pesky jaggies on most surfaces. There are still issues on some surfaces but overall an improvement. The game also runs as smoothly as ever (I didn't record the actual framerate though). It could just be the new graphics driver that is improving things though. Who knows?

Out of curiosity what mode should you select after ticking the 'morphological AA' checkbox? Box is the default AA mode but should you use edge-detect or what?

According to this the filter doesn't work with Bad Company 2 anyway - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850-barts,review-32028-4.html

Again, ccc gives too many options.... what to choose.

Soldato
No dude, I think its a fair point.

It makes things unneccessarily more complex, and there is no documentation either....

Anyway, each to his own I guess.

Im just a stickler for things like this.

I mean, as an exampe you set the setting for aa and af in the ccc to max (5870), you play a game and get crap performance for instance.

The game or the ccc options u think? If you leave the ccc options as they are and go in to the game and change the ingame option, does it change the ccc options?

Also knowing what aa method to choose, how do we know which is the better method?

Last edited:
Soldato
Install CCC, leave everything on default.
If you want MLAA, select the check box, leave everything else alone.
In game, select 0xAA.

Not exactly rocket science...

P.s. documentation would help allot though with regards to the other stuff, but again you don't actually have to touch any settings if you don't want, alternatively it isn't hard to spend half an hour doing some trial and error.

Soldato
^^^
Simple answer, try it and see the following:

1) Does it look noticeably better YES/NO
2) Is performance acceptable still YES/NO

If the above answer is yes then keep the settings, if the answer is no then just go back to how it was, and either use AA or MLAA.

Associate
Done what you said Ejizz, got it working now, thanks. I'm pretty impressed with this feature. I tried with SSAA and MLAA, SSAA is better but at a huge performance hit. This new MLAA runs very well, fair enough there is some jumpy frames but compared to SSAA you can actully run it and play the game reasonably well. Really looking forward to the new 6000 series now. Had x-fired 5870's but when i went to eyefinity I was unable to play games with x-fire enabled so ended up selling one of my 5870's last week. This was just before the 6000 series came out and sold for over 200.00 and hte new cards are giving 5870 performance at 199.99 ! Think I made a good move there ;)

Associate
On that topic any more update on the 6000 series 5870 equivalent or 5890 ? I'm looking to get single a card that actully run eyefinity with everything maxxed out, got fed up with x-fire and eyefinity, you'd think that considering your running a much higher res the x-fired cards would do the job but the drivers never worked ! ATI really dropped the ball there.

Back
Top Bottom