Audi owners in here!

Soldato
i've got a b8 turbocharged 4 pot TFSI engine from an s4 / s5 on the b8 platform.

So supercharged V6 then :D

Anyway, I'd check the part numbers as Forced Induction coilpacks tend to supply higher current to the spark plug due to the compressed air from the turbo/supercharger needing a stronger spark from a beefier spark plug.

NA coilpacks tend to be lower current.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Warning Low Battery Level - Battery will charge when you drive

Impending failure of vehicle? Should I overreact and buy something else???

Seriously though, WTF?

Soldato
So it would only need 6 coilpacks then?
This'll learn me for posting in a hurry.. It was a car part supplier, they were flogging a pack of 8, presumably to get rid of them on the lead up to xmas and as said, spotted a bargain, if i use them great, if not then i'll flog them on.
So supercharged V6 then :D

Anyway, I'd check the part numbers as Forced Induction coilpacks tend to supply higher current to the spark plug due to the compressed air from the turbo/supercharger needing a stronger spark from a beefier spark plug.

NA coilpacks tend to be lower current.

Cheers, i assumed there was a current difference required on the bigger NA engines...I've checked the part numbers / serial codes and all good to go :)

Associate
ok guys,

I'm looking to get a nearly new A5 sportback in the new year. Love the look of the car but I do have a concern. Almost every review I've read mentions that the steering feedback is quite disconnected. I'm not 100% sure what that actually means in the real world.

I've been driving the mrs company Mondeo for the last year (64 plate mark 4) and I'm happy with the way that it drives. To be fair I have not driven anything more "interesting" than the mondeo so that is my benchmark. I'm yet to take the A5 out on a test drive, but I thought I'd ask a some questions on here first.

So ...

Compared to the Mondeo is the steering feedback on the A5 generally better or worse than the Mondeo?

Is the 3.0 TDI 245 worth the extra over the 2.0 TDI 190? Head says 2.0 TDI but everything else screams 3.0 TDI which could simply be driven by the fact that I've just turned 46!

Is a quattro equipped car also worth the extra over the standard front wheel drive?

I've been told that the 3 series drives better than the A5, but is it really that much better? perhaps Fox might have a view on this.

anyway, happy xmas folks :)

Man of Honour
Both the 3 Series and the Mondeo will have better steering than the A5. The A5 is fairly bland to drive - it isn't a drivers car, it doesn't really reward enthusiastic driving. It's really just a posh but ordinary car. Which is absolutely fine - infact for many people thats exactly what they want and it's why the A5 is so popular. If you are not bothered about communicative steering, excellent handling and all that jazz there is nothing wrong with an A5.

However consider whether a nearly new one is sensible. The A5 is a very old car now, it first appeared almost 8 years ago as a competitor to the long discontinued 3 Series. This means that, the odd cosmetic facelift aside, it's essentially the same car as it was in 2007. Therefore I'd question really whether they are still worth £25k+. As a result, I would personally either:

a) Look at a brand new A4 instead of a nearly new A5. It's a completely fresh car on a fresh platform and is thoroughly more modern in every single way
b) Buy an older, much cheaper, A5 Sportback.

Associate
thanks Fox! you raise a good point about the A4 as I originally considered an A4 Avant so might have a look there instead.

I may also look at the 3 Series Tourer too but I next to nothing about them.

Associate
Could anyone familiar with A4s share their view on this particular car as regards to price, age and spec etc.. I'm not overly familiar with the where Dynamik sits in the spec line up but it seems to be somewhere between SE and S-Line or a mix of the two. Trying to stay away from diesel as I probably do <10k and work commute of 28 mile daily round trip of mostly motorway which I think this would be suited to..

Soldato
Shocked to find out that the new TT doesn't come with climate control as standard. It makes finding one with the options I'd like more difficult as at least 50% of them don't seem to have it spec'd. Always assumed it was standard as per the mk2 but apparently not. :o

Climate control:
Audi-TT-interior-preview-center-vents-and-six-speed-manual-gear-knob.jpg

Standard AC:
audi-tt-2-0t-fsi-s-line-2dr-s-tronic-140951091-6.jpg

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Seems to be the same with some VWs. The new Passat I have which is SE Business level doesn't have climate. It's really sad, who wants to mess around with the non-climate controls every 5 mins to get it just right these days? Especially on cars that aren't exactly base spec.

Soldato
Instead you get Xenon lights and Virtual Cockpit as standard, and a price that hasn't increased for about 10 years. The base model years ago was from £27k.
Rear parking sensors and standard cruise adds another £700 to the options cost.

Last edited:

JKD

JKD

Associate
What do we think of Mk 2 Audi TT's? I'm quite tempted by a 2.0 TFSI Black Edition, 2013, 20K miles on the clock and 6 speed DSG. FWD not the quattro.

Slightly concerned it's the 6 spd DSG versus 7 speed I have now, but many on the internet seem to think the 6spd wet clutch of the older DSG unit is more reliable anyway. Anything I should be worried about?

Back
Top Bottom