Audi owners in here!

Soldato
Hello chaps, looking to upgrade my current A4 05 plate, found this quite local to me, does this look over priced, I do like the look and spec. Any advice would be great

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=1&search-target=usedcars&make=audi&logcode=p

Fox went into the A5 on the last page...

[TW]Fox;28980138 said:
Both the 3 Series and the Mondeo will have better steering than the A5. The A5 is fairly bland to drive - it isn't a drivers car, it doesn't really reward enthusiastic driving. It's really just a posh but ordinary car. Which is absolutely fine - infact for many people thats exactly what they want and it's why the A5 is so popular. If you are not bothered about communicative steering, excellent handling and all that jazz there is nothing wrong with an A5.

However consider whether a nearly new one is sensible. The A5 is a very old car now, it first appeared almost 8 years ago as a competitor to the long discontinued 3 Series. This means that, the odd cosmetic facelift aside, it's essentially the same car as it was in 2007. Therefore I'd question really whether they are still worth £25k+. As a result, I would personally either:

a) Look at a brand new A4 instead of a nearly new A5. It's a completely fresh car on a fresh platform and is thoroughly more modern in every single way
b) Buy an older, much cheaper, A5 Sportback.

Of course, the one you are looking at is £20k, not £25k, but the point remains, it is essentially still just the same car from 2007.

Associate
Yes this is the problem, some of the newer cars are out my price range, wanted something 2011-2012. I did have a read. But are the engines still the same from 2007? Also was looking at the BMW 330D 2 door got the same kinda answers as well

Last edited:
Soldato
It must cost manufacturer's money to make the non-climate-control option, I don't get why they do it. It's pretty much identical hardware with a software change behind the different dials. I guess people paying for CC covers it though.

Soldato
Not really, all ac needs is the kit up front and a different button on the dials.

Climate needs a while new front panel, temperature sensors, a way to actually hit the desired temperature, most will have automatic vent control etc.

Still no excuse for it not just being standard fit on a car costing so much and it's not exactly going to add much weight to the car over ac

Caporegime
Yes this is the problem, some of the newer cars are out my price range, wanted something 2011-2012. I did have a read. But are the engines still the same from 2007? Also was looking at the BMW 330D 2 door got the same kinda answers as well

Other than the S5 changing from a V8 to a Supercharged V6 (the V6 is better), I believe the engines are indeed the same, or variants thereof.

Associate
Thanks, so its probably worth waiting a while. If the engines are the same, no point paying that much if the engine is similar from 2007. Annoying as I want to replace my car at the moment. I only liked 3 cars so far A5 3.0 TDI. BMW 330D, or the Merc E350. :(

Soldato
I would have thought £14-15k would get you a 4-5 year old a5 3.0tdi with reasonable mileage, which is about as new as I'd want to go and as much as I'd want to spend

Associate
Sorry to ask about this again folks but looking a bit of advice as I'll make go look at this car if I get a chance.

http://www.fleetfinancial.co.uk/used-vehicles/207/audi-a4/

Doing a bit of online reading I see this particular engine can suffer from oil consumption problems which can lead to all sorts of hassle, something I'd naturally wish to avoid. With it being a 2011 model, is it worth holding off for a 2012 model and if so is the facelift model still affected by the engine problems?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I'd hold out for a facelift personally, but I don't know if they fixed the oil consumption issues. I'm guessing no, based on nothing at all :)

Xez

Xez

Associate
Not all 2.0TFSI's are bad mine barely uses any oil and has been very reliable for me. I'm nearly at 90k now. Although in a car the size of the A6 I'd want a bigger engine than the 2.0L.

Soldato
Managed to fix a couple of the persistent niggles(lumbar pain, misfires, wind noise) on the A4 and had my first opportunity since buying it 10 months ago to give it a proper blast around the north of Scotland.

Much much happier having done that. It might not have Quattro or be as exhilarating in the corners as the F10 but as an all rounder, blasting through rain, snow and ice in the highlands, it was fantastic. Solid mixture of motorway, A roads and off the beaten track roads in all conditions - covered the miles beautifully.

Wee snap(ignoring the Instagram filter):

IMG_0059_sml.jpg

Planned work:
BHP increase - without remap initially, maybe leading onto a full map.
Flat bottom steering wheel / chrome paddle upgrade and S4 style auto shifter.

Back
Top Bottom