Audi owners in here!

Soldato
Anyone here had suspension "collapse" while car parked up?

2014 A4 allroad, front NS went with a bang (literally) loud enough to be heard from indoors and set off alarm, that corner is now on the bump stop

Man of Honour
New ABT R8 body styling concept. Not sure if I hate it or love it, depends on the angle.

33250492635_218eccac45_o.jpg

33250492135_46ae353f99_o.jpg

Probably like the wheels, but think the rear end is too boxy and over the top.

Soldato
The material is only a part of what makes a good interior, there are many other things that determine the quality, either subjectively or objectively. The design is the major part, how it's laid out, where the buttons are, how they feel to use, where the dials sit, how clear they are to read, how focused on the driver it is. Audi has historically lead the way on that front and their latest cars I think are a return to form, though for me the jury is out on the fully digital displays. Also the touch and feel is important, soft textures over hard, matt plastics over gloss plastics, high quality stitching to leather, mixtures of textures on doors and dashboards. But for me the most important is how well it all fits together, is is tight and rattle free and are the touchy feely bits nice to use. Little things like damping of hand grips, control surfaces, cupboards and storage all add to that and again have been something Audi has done, mostly, brilliantly and why the car I posted above is such a let down as it does most of this stuff badly.

To my point above the components that go to make up something are only part of the equation and are not the determining factor of what looks and works the best. If that were the case then all cars would feel the same and that is not the case, far from it.

Interesting that.
All the new ranges of Audi, even up to s-line seem to be lacking the full leather interiors that they once had.
I note on the new a4's on se sport and s-line, they want £1350 to make the seats all leather, as they once were as standard.
Interesting side effect of the emissions scandal.
Audi seem to be 3K above equivalent models in BMW and Merc, on list and every other method.
One way to get it back, assuming you can hold on to market share.

Soldato
No the seats options were like that well before the, so called, emissions scandal, my 2013 A3 sline only had part leather so you appear to be rewriting history..

Must have been a4 up.
Mine is 3.5 yrs old, had leather as standard on an SE Technik, not even an s-line. So some options have been limited.

Man of Honour
Must have been a4 up.
Mine is 3.5 yrs old, had leather as standard on an SE Technik, not even an s-line. So some options have been limited.

Wasn't the Technik a fleet special with options included as standard to capture the fleet market who often have no scope to add extra spec?

Ie like those 'Business Edition' BMWs a few years back.

Caporegime
I believe so, yes.

SE Technik (well mine anyway) came with the upgraded nav (MMI 3GPlus), full leather, heated seats, metallic paint, and bizzarely if you specced the TDIe engine (rather than the TDI) you got lowered sports suspension.

If you bought a B8.5 S Line it was only part-leather as standard, as well as non-mmi based infotainment (terrible), and a very spartan set of standard items. Essentially you were trading creature comforts/tech for bigger wheels and a bodykit.

Man of Honour
I believe so, yes.

SE Technik (well mine anyway) came with the upgraded nav (MMI 3GPlus), full leather, heated seats, metallic paint, and bizzarely if you specced the TDIe engine (rather than the TDI) you got lowered sports suspension.

Not that bizarre, the 320d Efficient Dynamics edition had lowered suspension too, reduced drag and helped hit the magic co2 figure it was chasing. I'd imagine that was the same with the TDI e :)

Soldato
Wasn't the Technik a fleet special with options included as standard to capture the fleet market who often have no scope to add extra spec?

Ie like those 'Business Edition' BMWs a few years back.

Interesting. Then I am completely wrong, and I apologise.
We specced the SE Technik as we wanted and was factory built, but I guess the overall concept was a fleet catchall.
Wasn't aware the s-line didn't auto come with leather interior, as I assumed it was the model above.

Caporegime
Anyone here had suspension "collapse" while car parked up?

2014 A4 allroad, front NS went with a bang (literally) loud enough to be heard from indoors and set off alarm, that corner is now on the bump stop
I had it happen to an Alfa I had about 5 years ago. Though I was in it at the time but was sat stationary. Drop-link and coil had snapped. Looked like it just chose that precise moment to give up the ghost.

Soldato
Evening all, been looking at the below, anything I should be aware of before buying (From a used Audi garage I think).....

Audi A4 Saloon
2L deisel
Automatic
S Line
Around the 17k mark money wise
Milage around the 25k to 30k (FSH)
I do about 16k a year to and from work (motorway miles)

Many thanks

Soldato
Evening all, been looking at the below, anything I should be aware of before buying (From a used Audi garage I think).....

Audi A4 Saloon
2L deisel
Automatic
S Line
Around the 17k mark money wise
Milage around the 25k to 30k (FSH)
I do about 16k a year to and from work (motorway miles)

Many thanks

Based on your budget I am guessing you are looking at the B8 A4? In which case it's not where I would want to sink £17k into. It'd a bad time to be spending that sort of money on an a4. It's a car launched in 2008 which has now been replaced and for £17k you will be getting one of the end of generation a4s but still paying a premium.

I'd either up your budget to low 20s so you can get one of the new B9 A4s or lower your budget and get the exact same car you are looking at but slightly older.

Alternatively £15k-17k will get you into a really nice A6 which came out in 2011 with newer kit, and although it is still due to be replaced in 2018 will give you more kit as standard and more space.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking at the TT Coupe, late 2014 onwards. 2.0, 230ps. Are the 2.0 TFSI engines alright? I seem to remember issues with them.

Insurance is something special though, it's that M21 postcode.

Back
Top Bottom