Audi owners in here!

Soldato
I'm looking at the TT Coupe, late 2014 onwards. 2.0, 230ps. Are the 2.0 TFSI engines alright? I seem to remember issues with them.

Insurance is something special though, it's that M21 postcode.

No issues these days. The dreaded oil issues were more of an issue on the older 2.0 TFSI cars (211ps? on A5s and the like)...don't believe the mk2 TT was affected by it much though.

The newer 230ps is excellent. My only fault with it is it's not as good on fuel as the manufacturer figures suggest. Touch wood, I've done 16k+ miles with no issues with the car.

Soldato
Hi Guys

Whats the preferred options for purchasing a car outright
  • Dealer (Audi) with warranty
  • Non Dealer with warranty
  • Private seller
All with FSH ...... Not sure the warranty it worth the paper its written on really....

I'm looking at treating myself to an A6 S-Line as I've not had a licence for 1 year due to brain operation, and I'm about to get it back so want to consider all options which I'm hoping you guys can help steer me on...

Many thanks

Caporegime
The warranty on an approved used will definitely be worth the paper it's written on.

I'd be more interested to hear budget, age and spec of cars you are considering, it will make a massive difference to the appropriate approach.

Soldato
The warranty on an approved used will definitely be worth the paper it's written on.

I'd be more interested to hear budget, age and spec of cars you are considering, it will make a massive difference to the appropriate approach.

Oh course ....

• A6
  • 17k budget
  • 15 plate if poss
  • Automatic
  • Deisel
  • 2.0L
  • SLine
  • Mileage around 20-30k
Many thanks

Last edited:
Associate
I've been looking and looking at the MK2 TT for weeks now, and I'm itching to give one a go now and look for a decent example.

In terms of engines, I see the 1.8T, 2.0T and 3.2 V6, is there any issues to be aware of with any of them? In all honesty I think the appeal of a proper engine may well lead me to the V6, coming from a small 4 pot turbo.

Gearbox wise, I'd likely go manual regardless but how are the auto boxes, in terms of reliability?

It would be one of the earlier models, with a budget of £8k or so

Anything in particular to look out for? I've read that they're generally trouble free but I'm sure there's always something!

Caporegime
Oh course ....

• A6
  • 17k budget
  • 15 plate if poss
  • Automatic
  • Deisel
  • 2.0L
  • SLine
  • Mileage around 20-30k
Many thanks

I think that's going to be a decent budget for a private sale and possibly a healthy budget at an independent trader, but you're going to be scraping the barrel at Approved Used to get what you want out of £17k, you're either talking an older car (2013~) or a higher mileage (, or ditching the requirement for S Line trim (or a combination thereof). There are currently no 2015 A6s of any trim in approved used stock that fall in your price range, regardless of mileage.

Soldato
I think that's going to be a decent budget for a private sale and possibly a healthy budget at an independent trader, but you're going to be scraping the barrel at Approved Used to get what you want out of £17k, you're either talking an older car (2013~) or a higher mileage (, or ditching the requirement for S Line trim (or a combination thereof). There are currently no 2015 A6s of any trim in approved used stock that fall in your price range, regardless of mileage.

Thought as much, whats the difference between the S-Line/TDI/Black Edition other than spec?

Caporegime
Other than spec differences there are styling differences. SE is the "softest" looking, and softest feeling, more supple suspension, higher ride height, smaller wheels, larger profile tyres, less supportive (but softer) seats. S-Line and Black Edition will have the same styling cues (same S-Line bumpers) but the Black Edition will have black instead of chrome detailing, and typically larger wheels (unless the S Line was specced with optional wheels).

I personally don't like the looks of Black Editions, so paying the difference to gain some larger wheels (and therefore more expensive tyres) wasn't something that interested me when I was looking at A6s.

Soldato
Other than spec differences there are styling differences. SE is the "softest" looking, and softest feeling, more supple suspension, higher ride height, smaller wheels, larger profile tyres, less supportive (but softer) seats. S-Line and Black Edition will have the same styling cues (same S-Line bumpers) but the Black Edition will have black instead of chrome detailing, and typically larger wheels (unless the S Line was specced with optional wheels).

I personally don't like the looks of Black Editions, so paying the difference to gain some larger wheels (and therefore more expensive tyres) wasn't something that interested me when I was looking at A6s.

Great thanks for the replies .....

Soldato

Not just larger wheels though.

Usually the black editions come with upgraded sound system etc...the bang & olufsen is truly excellent and well worth it.

Soldato
Ok missed that.

£17k seems a little optimistic doesn't it?

I can't see anything that matches his criteria of s-line, auto, 15 plate with 20-30k miles on it.

I would also always get the Audi approved warranty, whether you buy from the dealer and get it included or pay for it yourself.

I've been looking and looking at the MK2 TT for weeks now, and I'm itching to give one a go now and look for a decent example.

In terms of engines, I see the 1.8T, 2.0T and 3.2 V6, is there any issues to be aware of with any of them? In all honesty I think the appeal of a proper engine may well lead me to the V6, coming from a small 4 pot turbo.

Gearbox wise, I'd likely go manual regardless but how are the auto boxes, in terms of reliability?

Anything in particular to look out for? I've read that they're generally trouble free but I'm sure there's always something!

At that budget I woundn't bother with DSG. You could buy an early and have no issues at all but if something does go wrong it would be a waste pouring money into a car that costs £8k. Stick with manual.

The 3.2 V6 from what I have read is pretty bullet proof. Essentially the same engine found in the Golf Mk5 R32. Sounds great but does make the car nose heavy. I have never been in one but they sound great, probably use more fuel than the 2.0 TFSI engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

Manual ones are really nice. Not tried an auto but I own a manual mk2 and it's a joy to use. Major thing to look out for is a spoiler that actually works without issues. Manually raise and lower the spoiler on any car you go and see a few times to see if it fails and an alarm goes off in the cabin. If it does indeed fail, it'll need a whole new mechanism which isn't exactly cheap.

Everything else is minor. Coil pack recall was done many moons ago but if I were you I'd inspect the ignition coils and replace them if they aren't sheathed for most of the length of the coil itself. The design was changed for the recall and mine wasn't done. 2 of the coils where corroded when i bought the car but it was a £140 fix for new coils and spark plugs from good brands.

I decided against a V6 and a suitable Quattro didn't pop up for the money I got my car for which was a bargain. If I was buying now I'd get Quattro regardless of engine size.

Associate

Personally I would go for the 2.0T. The 3.2 V6 does sound much nicer however the 2.0T can be tuned to have MUCH more power and torque relatively easily and cheaply (300BHP+ for a simple Stage 1 Remap). It's ultimately down to your personal preference, if you're planning on keeping everything stock then the 3.2 V6 becomes more of an attractive option... also definitely stick to manual, I would avoid DSG after hearing about nightmare Mechatronic unit failures!

Caporegime
At that budget I woundn't bother with DSG. You could buy an early and have no issues at all but if something does go wrong it would be a waste pouring money into a car that costs £8k. Stick with manual.

The 3.2 V6 from what I have read is pretty bullet proof. Essentially the same engine found in the Golf Mk5 R32. Sounds great but does make the car nose heavy. I have never been in one but they sound great, probably use more fuel than the 2.0 TFSI engines.

The cam chains are prone to stretching.

Associate
So basically both engines have their issues? My current car is well known for failing timing chain tensioners which leads to all sorts of problems such as stretching, so perhaps look for one with remedial work done?

I know the 2.0 will be a better car dynamically in handling terms as the V6 is a lump, but I think I'd get over that when hearing a V6 every morning!

Back
Top Bottom