Audi owners in here!

So either buy something old that has depreciated or accept that mass market cars mostly depreciate.
Indeed. But no point taking the **** like buying a brand new Kia or Leon Cupra. Obviously we don't have a crystal ball, but it's something I'd like to minimise. I've done quite well in the past and would like to continue that trend, but nearly new cars aren't my speciality :p

I think suchlike most other S and RS cars tend to be strong sellers, the S1 should continue to be after the next A1 release. Especially seeing as a new S1 won't immediately follow the A1 launch, if at all, don't forget it took some serious reworking of the old A1 chassis to accommodate the Quattro system.

They're all manual and 4wd. There's an interior Quattro styling pack and an exterior Quattro styling pack, adding various bits and bobs.

'Fun' is relative ;)
My S3 was fun, but it wasn't involving.

If by "fun", you mean proper driver involvement then there are and have been plenty of Audis which offer this - B7 RS4, R8, current TT-RS & RS5.

You're right though that this is the exception rather than the norm and the majority of S and RS models favour surefootedness and an FWD bias over outright handling and driver enjoyment. The current S3 I have also falls into this category, although it's biblically quick.

The S1 is actually more of a driver's car than the S3 I think, great buzzy little hot hatch you can really chuck about yet has the traction of AWD which is very uncommon in a car that size.

Heh, I'm going mad, I was sure there was 2 engine options, one with it, one without it.

All the S and RS models have quattro as standard, always have done AFAIK.

Question for fellow audi drivers, i am a bit bemused by a couple of recent events. I am trying to work out if I am doing something odd or what. (2018MY TT)
Keyless start but not entry.

So Friday on leaving work I put the window down to talk to someone, when I pulled off I hit up, it went up then straight back down, did this 4-5 times, so I manually stopped it just short of up and drove home.
When i got home it repeated the same issue. So I turned off completely, so window wasn't powered then restarted, window seemed to work fine. Then when I went to lock the car it wouldn't lock, just ignoring the lock button.
I gave up, went in to get the manual and came back out. Car was unlocked and still had the lights on, seemingly still "powered up" for want of a better explanation.

I got in, started up, stopped and got out, door locked. Put it down to "something odd".

Then Saturday evening went to the shops, first time I had used since Friday. Got out at the car park and it wouldn't lock again. Got in, pressed start (and it didnt start/stop), got out and then it would lock.

Sunday shops again, I am sure it all worked as normal, absolutely did when I got home, think it did when I got to the shops, I don't remember there being an issue.

Now i am starting to wonder if I am not pressing stop occasionally as the car is itself doing stop start and I am applying the "hand brake" but not stopping the ability to restart it potentially.

I haven't used the window since, I found the how to reset the window in the manual now so will try that if it repeats, I will wait till this coming weekend though probably so I can do it in daylight should it play up.

The only thing I can see thats been different the couple of times I noticed is that there seems to be a message on screen about the lights saying on for 30 minutes and a message about draining the battery.

If I had not pressed stop and it had stop started itself could it trigger this behaviour. IE the car isn't fully off, but it a stopped mode, hence wanting me to press stop to shut it down completely, this could possibly be what I have done as my old mini if it stop started and you removed the key it was completely off (obviously).

There was one other slight event i can think about, I think it happened towards end of last week, I had forgotten about it until I was typing this. I turn around when I get home and drive about 5 metres to final stopping point. It felt like the car had stalled as I set off from the turn, it was possibly me not giving enough revs, I did press the start button and this definately fixed it. I thought it was odd at the time, but forgot all about it.

Amy ideas/thoughts from fellow Audi drivers welcomed :)

I am going to specifically very closely watch what i do when, ts hard as you kind of do this thing without thinking and i wonder if I am applying different approach if the car acts differently.

The only thing I can see thats been different the couple of times I noticed is that there seems to be a message on screen about the lights saying on for 30 minutes and a message about draining the battery.

This is exactly the message that appears if you get out of the car (or open the door) before turning the ignition off by pressing the start/stop button (with your foot off the brake). My S3 does exactly the same (keyless entry and keyless start/stop).

There was one other slight event i can think about, I think it happened towards end of last week, I had forgotten about it until I was typing this. I turn around when I get home and drive about 5 metres to final stopping point. It felt like the car had stalled as I set off from the turn, it was possibly me not giving enough revs, I did press the start button and this definately fixed it. I thought it was odd at the time, but forgot all about it.

This to me sounds like the auto start/stop was in the process of kicking in. My A4 did this from time to time when maneuvering.

This is exactly the message that appears if you get out of the car (or open the door) before turning the ignition off by pressing the start/stop button (with your foot off the brake). My S3 does exactly the same (keyless entry and keyless start/stop).

This to me sounds like the auto start/stop was in the process of kicking in. My A4 did this from time to time when maneuvering.

Awesome thanks, on both counts.

Think I need to go back to "new car be very careful mode" and train my muscle memory to do the right things. Seems the bad habit from the mini of being able to just remove the key after it stopped from stop/start should not be adopted in the audi ;)

Anyone else had problems with surface rust on their brake discs/wheel hubs/rotor hat? My MK3 TT was under a year old and they had a bit of surface rust, now it's just over two years old and honestly they look horrific, completely taking away from the aesthetics of the car.

Wonder whether there's any point speaking to Audi about it as no doubt it'll be a case of 'wear and tear' or 'thats normal', well it shouldn't be normal considering the price I paid for it.

Or am I just being unreasonable? Is it indeed normal? I don't seem to recall any car i've had previously having this problem, or at least to this level.

Last edited:
It’s a known issue on the 8V A3 also. My rears are starting to go on the S3. Some people have managed to get audi to replace them, but most are told to sod off.

A coat of hammerite is what most owners tend to do.

Well I now know that the advice I received above was spot on. This morning I forgot to press stop before I opened my door (it had already activated stop start), even trying to press it after the door was opened it wasnt having it. I had to close the door in order to be able to switch ignition to off and be able to lock the door.

I am now even more convinced that keyless start is more of a pain than a benefit. I still find it funny that Audi added a slot in the centre tunnel in order to be able to place your key which looks spookily like it would if it was in the dashboard

I wonder how this would all work out with keyless entry as well, does that somehow ignore the stop start and still lock the car?

All that said, still loving the TT, and soooo glad I am back to half leather with alcantra, its by far the best seat combo. Forget full leather, get this combo ftw!

Just picked this up as a cheap runaround just now while I sort out a "better" Audi. Liking it though. Back into Audi ownership after a few years off...

24871708287_73232906e6_c.jpg

3.0 Quattro Sport Avant with some nice options on it. VCDS flagged up a couple error codes, but they almost all went away after a reset, then further drive, then rescan.

Back
Top Bottom