Audi owners in here!

Some nice looking vehicles in this thread. Will have to save some £s!!!! :D

My current A3 2.0TDI 14 plate has developed an issue with the AC. No heat whatsoever, won't clear windscreen, also noticed that a lot of condensation on the inside of the windscreen which never used to happen. Any of you nice people got any basic things for me to check please ?

Thanks in advance.

Check/replace your pollen filter to help with the moisture. Not sure on the AC, if you have no heat maybe it's something in the heater system? Resistor/blower/matrix?

If the matrix was leaking I would expect coolant loss as well.

Last edited:
Traded the A2 on a second hand 2014 Audi approved Q3 on the last day of the year yesterday.

Pretty well identical spec with leather, bose and panoramic roof and manual gearbox but have gone diesel. Some extras such as cruise and fancy headlights. She's pleased and I must say it's great to drive and a lovely place to sit. Going from 2003 spec and tech to 2014 makes a nice difference :)

Any thoughts on the Audi A3 1.0?

Work advised me today that I could get a company car and I've got a choice of Audi A1/A3, Mini Cooper Hatcback, VW Polo/Up and VW T-Roc.

Out of the lot, the Audi A3 takes my fancy but worried about the 1l engine. The reviews all give it top marks but want owner opinions!

Thanks.

Any thoughts on the Audi A3 1.0?

Work advised me today that I could get a company car and I've got a choice of Audi A1/A3, Mini Cooper Hatcback, VW Polo/Up and VW T-Roc.

Out of the lot, the Audi A3 takes my fancy but worried about the 1l engine. The reviews all give it top marks but want owner opinions!

Thanks.

No direct experience of it but I've seen quite a few positive reports saying it's surprisingly spritely for such a small engine.

I think there's a perception issue whereby people think a 1L engine is too small/weedy for a car like an A3. In reality the A3 is actually quite a light car and the 1L model weighs about the same as a Fiesta, yet no one has a problem with the 1L engines in those.

As always, pop down the local dealer and arrange a test drive.

I'd probably take the Polo, assuming it's a new (just released) one. I found the 1.0TFSI A3 to be gutless on anything other than a flat road with just me in it. The old 1.4TFSI CoD engine was actually usable (as I assume is the new 1.5).

The A1 is now ancient, so avoid that.

I'd probably take the Polo, assuming it's a new (just released) one. I found the 1.0TFSI A3 to be gutless on anything other than a flat road with just me in it. The old 1.4TFSI CoD engine was actually usable (as I assume is the new 1.5).

The A1 is now ancient, so avoid that.

The Polo is still 999cc so it’s not going to be too different in terms of performance.

The A3 has more tech in it by default and work add the Technik package which adds SatNav and a few other features too.

Throw in Apple Car Play and I’m all set.

I have a C1 at the moment so I’m used to a little 1 litre engine.

I will have a look though and see what I can add to the Polo and see the BIK difference.

The Polo is still 999cc so it’s not going to be too different in terms of performance.

The 6th Gen Polo has 3 different 1.0 engine options: 65PS, 75PS and 95PS. You need to be sure of which one they're offering if it is indeed the 6th Gen. The 5th Gen 1.0 comes in 60PS and 75PS flavours.

I've driven the A1 1.0 95PS and it was pretty punchy around town with the S-Tronic gearbox. It's obviously not the best tool for overtaking on the motorway though. The 1.0 in the A3 is offered with 116PS which should make up for the weight difference.

So what's the deal with the Audi S1, apart from being hideously expensive?

Is buying a 2-3-year-old one a completely stupid idea considering the Golf GTI exists? My thinking is that the GTI residuals are nothing special, but the S1, being so rare, will hold its value much better...

The S1 didn't hold its value particularly well in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if the MK7 GTi had appreciably better residuals here. I still miss mine everyday :( I've never enjoyed driving another car as much as I did driving that one.

I reckon a 2-3 year old one would be a sensible purchase if it's a car that tickles your fancy, but just be warned that the boot is very small due to the rear diff raising the boot floor up. The OEM clutch is made of cheese, so be sure to test it thoroughly before buying.

Interesting comments so far!
Price-wise, decent S1s can be had for under €25k, which is where 2013/14 8V S3s start. Interestingly, it's also where 8P RS3s seem to have fallen to...

Honestly, I'd be happy with an 8P S3 Sportback, but no way am I paying nigh-on €20k for one with decent spec. They're 7-8 years old! I sold my 8P S3 for €12k almost 3 years ago, albeit with a touch over 200,000kms. I don't understand these crazy residuals!

The S1 is actually a hoot to drive and obviously has the Quattro plus side compared to a Polo or Golf GTI.

However the fact that you have to have a manual would put me off, as does the number of problems people seem to report with the stock clutch from as few as 4,000 miles from new! That said the clutch on the manual S3 is also known to be made of chocolate, literally just able to cope with stock power.

But I thought Audis aren't allowed to be fun?
'Fun' is relative ;)
My S3 was fun, but it wasn't involving.

Anyway, just looked at Fiesta STs and they're over €10k cheaper. The thought that a new A1 might mean dodgy residuals on an S1 doesn't really seem all that appealing..

I just want something fast, fun, small but practical and won't cost me a fortune in depreciation. Is this asking too much?

Back
Top Bottom