Audi owners in here!

Soldato
Just wondering if anyone has experience with the following two faults?

My Audi A4 B9 has a creaking sound from the rear of the car. It's not as apparent at the moment as it was in the summer and I'm guessing the fault/what is causing the noise is exacerbated by it being warmer.

The 2nd issue (and more pressing) is whilst driving today is the clutch over spring breaking! At either end of the spring is a ball that must connect to ball sockets, and one of the balls has completely sheered off. The ball is white plastic and looks extremely thin considering the force required to compress the spring.

I'm not impressed with Audi, the car in question is brand new from an Audi dealership back in March and this is the 2nd fault. The 1st happened within a mile of driving from the dealership when I picked it up, the car wouldn't auto release the handbreak when bringing up the clutch and required a new wiring loop.

The car has only done 4000 miles since March. Prior to exiting the company car scheme I had various BMW 3 series spanning 9 years, doing 15K+ a year mileage and never had a single problem. Am I just unlucky or is Audi's build quality not up to BMW standards?

Soldato
New A6 Avant arrived just before Christmas :) I'll get some snaps this week.

Spec:
  • 50TDI (286, V6 Diesel)
  • S-Line
  • Tech Pack
  • HUD
  • HD Matrix LED (wow)
Very different from the 530D it replaces!

Associate
Thanks for the advice from previous posters - i’ve joined the club :).

I ended up getting a 2007 3.2 v6 Audi TT, red, 55k miles, FSH, leather, factory 19” alloys for just under £7k. Seems pretty much immaculate.

Certainly faster than any car i’ve had before and it does sound good!

Soldato
Not sure if anyone has been in a dealership lately. The new A5 black edition - unfortantely the xmas tree thing was in the way and blocking the photo a bit but it is a very sleek looking car. I like the modern take on the rotor wheels, much nicer than the standard A5/S5 wheels and I'd say even better than the TTRS wheels.

31590250337_214433861b_b.jpg

45616999485_98d5c42395_b.jpg

46530523741_cfc985ee1b_b.jpg

32657231518_af3b4ac5f1_b.jpg

Also seen this lovely looking RS5 on the 'gram'.
45806733424_57beb47d75_b.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a 3rd party warranty. I'll guess ill find out if its worth the paper its written on.

So after a long wait the warranty company has got back to me. After paying £72 for a diagnostic the garage have told the warranty company what they think the issue is but the warranty company have now said i will need to pay around £1200 to get the gearbox stripped so they can confirm what the issue is and if covered they will refund me the money. if it turns out the part is not covered it will be an additional £2000. sounds like a scam to me. Surely they have to accept the diagnostic or refund me for the diagnostic as it wasn't able to diagnose the problem?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
New A6 Avant arrived just before Christmas :) I'll get some snaps this week.

Spec:
  • 50TDI (286, V6 Diesel)
  • S-Line
  • Tech Pack
  • HUD
  • HD Matrix LED (wow)
Very different from the 530D it replaces!

Be interesting to hear your views on this. I think for the first time in A6 history they have a true 5 series competitor.

Associate
New A3 ownership isn't going quite as well as I'd hoped.

Really enjoying the car when it's working, it's a really nice place to be as it's specced well (don't need anything bigger so could spec up)

35TFSI S-Line (no idea why they've changed the branding, it's a 1.5 petrol, looks like a 3.5l from the name)
Tech Pack
Matrix Lights
Adaptive Cruise

Now for the down side:

Heater box was faulty from new so wouldn't demist, necessitating a replacement. Surprisingly they didn't introduce any trim rattles as it's a dash out job. 2 days at the dealers for that.
Rear crank seal appears to have failed resulting in an undertray full of oil and a nice pool on the drive. Currently waiting for the diagnosis to be confirmed by them dropping the gearbox out and then if so for parts to arrive to fix.

Not bad for 2 months and 1700 miles of ownership! On the plus side, the dealer is handling things well, which you'd hope being warranty work on a very new car, and I'm driving around in a rather nice A6, it feels like a boat in comparison.

Just keeping fingers crossed for this being the last thing so I don't stop enjoying the car.

Last edited:
Associate
Indeed. The only thing that surprises me slightly is that there's been no contact from the post-sales team at the dealer, just to check up on things, unless they would only get involved were I to complain.

Soldato
Be interesting to hear your views on this. I think for the first time in A6 history they have a true 5 series competitor.
It's great.

It feels much more premium than the G30 I drove, the tech is better and it's just a more comfortable place to spend time in over a long drive.

My one niggle is that there seems to be a delay between telling the car to push on, and it deciding to do something about it. It takes a second to drop a gear or really respond, even in Dynamics with sport shifts on. Weird.

I suspect the 55TFSI fixes this with the DCT and is probably a better all-round car (review seem to back this up), but unfortunately I needed something now and couldn't wait for the TFSI to be released.

If I had the luxury of waiting a while, I'd get the petrol.

Soldato
It will have the S tronic dual clutch which is generally a reliable box

Buyer would need to check with the seller but I think this car is before they released the S Tronic box on the A6 think that came during the last major facelift. The ad mentions the box is 8 speed which was only available with the CVT transmission the S Tronic box is 7 speed and the 8 speed ZF box was only fitted to the BI-TDI model (The earlier Quattro models have a 6 speed ZF box) I wouldn't buy a car with the CVT box almost guaranteed to fail at some point before 100k

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Would need to check with the seller but I think this car is before they released the S Tronic box on the A6. The ad mentions the box is 8 speed which was only available with the CVT transmission the S Tronic box is 7 speed and he 8 speed ZF box was only fitted to the BI-TDI model. I wouldn't buy a car with the CVT box almost guaranteed to fail at some point before 100k

Hmmm you may be right...... if it isn't a quattro model it could be CVT

My brother has a 2012 facelift A5 3.0TDI but it is a quattro and has S tronic, but I think you are right with it being CVT

EDIT: Yea on one of the invoices in the pics it says CVT

Soldato
Buyer would need to check with the seller but I think this car is before they released the S Tronic box on the A6 think that came during the last major facelift. The ad mentions the box is 8 speed which was only available with the CVT transmission the S Tronic box is 7 speed and the 8 speed ZF box was only fitted to the BI-TDI model (The earlier Quattro models have a 6 speed ZF box) I wouldn't buy a car with the CVT box almost guaranteed to fail at some point before 100k

Yep the one on the advert is CVT.

I believe S-tronic was an optional extra over and above the CVT (multitronic?) - I think also available on the 2.0 TDI models but probably rarely selected though.

Back
Top Bottom