Audi owners in here!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
One will be a 4-pot turbo and the other will be a V8 at this age.

Why not meet in the (almost) middle and get a TT-RS? :p

Man of Honour
Hello,

We’re after a second car and have been looking at MX5s but have since ruled it out because of the 2 seats. My wife has now decided that she wants an Audi TT coupe (mainly because she likes the way it looks!).

For my £6-7k it looks as if I could get something around 10 years old with around 70,000 miles. There doesn’t seem to be much price difference between the 2.0 or 3.2.

Anyone have one of these? Any advice?

Thanks in advance

I have a TT 3.2 v6 Quattro, Mk2 cab. It's been a decent little car. Goes ok, handles ok, nice enough place to be and not as aggressive on the fuel as the 911. I don't actually mind it at all, the v6 makes a decent noise and the power delivery is nice enough. Mines got pretty much all the options as well and cost 6 or 7K. Decent amount of car for the money tbh. Don't get me wrong it's nowhere near as good as the 911 when you want to get on it, the assists are way too aggressive and the only way to turn it all off is to hold buttons down for like 5 seconds or something and even then i'm not convinced it's properly off. Power mostly up the front isn't as fun as power mostly at the back but it is overall nice, I can't say anything bad about it to be honest the only thing I would say is it never feels special or an occasion but as a stand in while i work up the motivation to fix the other car it's done well.

I found the thread I posted when I bought it. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/meet-the-temp-car-possible-disappointment-inside.18813276/
In the year or so ive owned it all that has gone wrong is a window regulator, I bought a kit off of a fella online for pittance and refurbished it and chucked the thing back together which took a couple of hours, other than that it's been trouble free motoring. I did put a full set of tyres on it as well and had it balanced but thats literally it. It told me it wants a service the other day so I should probably sort that out soon.

Last edited:
Associate
Any idea how much I'll have to pay for a replacement rear bumper for a 2018 A5 Sportback Sline?

Last edited:
Soldato
Wowzers!

Spoke to a local repair place today and it's repairable for about £500 thankfully

This is what I was quoted to repair the TT bumper at a 'insurance approved' local accident repair centre, when they said it had to sand away the old, filled (etc) then repaint the whole rear bumper. I never did get it done, the mark was caused by someone stupidly driving into the back of me for no reason whatsoever at a busy roundabout, albeit it was a slow bump - but he then decided to leg it and not pull over.

Soldato
Never driven a Mk2 TT, but having driven a number of 2.0TFSI cars on the same platform, as well as owning a MK1 3.2V6, I just can't see that being true.

The linear power delivery of the V6 and the need to rev (whilst hearing that lovely roar) make for a better experience than the muted sound and lagged throttle response of the 2.0TFSI. It's not as if the V6 engine is massively heavier.

What I put just seems the general consensus on the TT forum. I haven't really heard the 3.2 V6 in person, but I imagine it would sound similar to an VW golf R32 albeit a bit quieter due to the exhaust. No doubt the 2.0 TFSI would be much more frugal on fuel.

Man of Honour
What I put just seems the general consensus on the TT forum. I haven't really heard the 3.2 V6 in person, but I imagine it would sound similar to an VW golf R32 albeit a bit quieter due to the exhaust. No doubt the 2.0 TFSI would be much more frugal on fuel.

Many years ago I once took out a Mk5 Golf R32 and a Mk5 GTI back to back, which I guess is broadly similar to the TT 2.0 v 3.2 comparison. I agree - the 3.2 V6 didn't really add anything beyond noise but felt less sharp and less responsive than the turbocharged GTI.

Soldato
So I just had a gearbox malfunction come up on my car. It's a 2010 S5 with S-Tronic... On a scale of 1-10 how bad is my Christmas going to be?

Could be anything but hope you have a warranty. The wife's DSG decided to throw an error last month luckily it was under warranty and just a micro switch.

Soldato
Just incase anyone was wondering or has a similar problem. The car had a diagnostic and it came up with :

8040 - Torque Restriction due to Clutch Temperature
P17D8 00 [032]

Needs a new circuit board for the mechatronics unit.

Technical Service Bulletin

SB-10054213-2278

35 Gearbox malfunction message in cluster (DTCs P17D800, P179D00, P174000, P174C, P174B, P174F, P179C, P174A, P174E)

35 13 15 2030477/6 November 4, 2013. Supersedes Technical Service Bulletin Group 35 number 13-14 dated August 30, 2013 for reasons listed below.

Model(s) Year VIN Range Vehicle-Specific Equipment

S4, S5 2010-2013 All S-Tronic 7 speed transmission

RS5, S6, S7 2013 All S-Tronic 7 speed transmission

Condition

REVISION HISTORY

Revision Date Purpose

6 - Revised Required Parts and Tools (Added VIN-specific parts)

Revised Service (Added DTC P174C information)

5 8/30/2013 Revised Condition (Removed “Expanded environmental conditions” criteria, added

“Symptom Code” criteria) Revised Service (Removed “Expanded environmental conditions” instructions, added “Symptom Code” instructions)

4 7/12/2013 Revised Condition (Added “Expanded environmental conditions” criteria)

Revised Service (Added “Expanded environmental conditions” instructions) Revised Header Data (Added MY2013 S4, S5, RS5, S6 and S7)

3 5/7/2013 Revised Warranty (Corrected Damage Code)

2 12/7/2012 Revised Service (Removed mechatronics replacement for fault P179D00)

1 8/10/2012 Original publication

• The following message appears in the information display: “Gearbox malfunction: you can continue driving”.

• One or more of the following fault entries are stored in the transmission control module, J217 (address word 02):

• DTC P17D8 (Torque limitation because of clutch temperature) with symptom code 8040

• DTC P0726 (RPM signal of engine control unit, implausible signal) with symptom code 7980

• DTC P174B (Valve 4 in the sub-gearbox 1, electric fault) with symptom code 8027

• DTC P174F (Valve 4 in the sub-gearbox 2, electric fault) with symptom code 8028

• DTC P179C (Main pressure valve, electric fault) with symptom code 8029

Page 1 of 4 © 2013 Audi of America, Inc. All rights reserved. Information contained in this document is based on the latest information available at the time of printing and is subject to the copyright and other intellectual property rights of Audi of America, Inc., its affiliated companies and its licensors. All rights are reserved to make changes at any time without notice. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, nor may these materials be modified or reposted to other sites, without the prior expressed written permission of the publisher.

Tip: Fault codes and symptom codes must match exactly or this TSB should not be followed. Instructions for obtaining the symptom codes are in the Service section of this bulletin.

Technical Background

Poor internal contact area on circuit board will lead to faults. Oil additives can cause the plastic circuit plates to delaminate, causing contact loss.

Production Solution

Improved circuit board for mechatronics unit.

Service

Confirm that this TSB applies by checking the symptom code:

1. Check the DTC memory. The symptom code is listed with the DTC (Figure 1).

Figure 1. DTC memory with symptom code.

2. If the DTC is listed in the Condition section of this bulletin, and it has the corresponding symptom code from

the list, perform the repair that follows.

Page 2 of 4 © 2013 Audi of America, Inc. All rights reserved. Information contained in this document is based on the latest information available at the time of printing and is subject to the copyright and other intellectual property rights of Audi of America, Inc., its affiliated companies and its licensors. All rights are reserved to make changes at any time without notice. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, nor may these materials be modified or reposted to other sites, without the prior expressed written permission of the publisher.

• DTC P179D (Coolant oil valve electrical fault) with symptom code 8030

• DTC P174C (Partial transmission 1 valve 2 Electrical error ) with symptom code 8026

• DTC P174A (Valve 3 in the sub-gearbox 1, electric fault) with symptom code 8939

• DTC P174E (Valve 3 in the sub-gearbox 2, electric fault) with symptom code 8940

• DTC P1740 (Clutch temperature monitoring) with symptom code 8031

Tip: If the connector locks are damaged when the circuit board is replaced, the mechatronics unit must be replaced. Once connected, the circuit board cannot be removed and used again.

Warranty

Claim Type: Use applicable claim type. If vehicle is outside any warranty, this Technical Service Bulletin

is informational only.

Service Number: 3511

Damage Code: 0040

Labor Operations: Remove and install Mechatronics 3511 1900 220 TU

Remove and install printed circuit 3511 3799 40 TU

Diagnostic Time: GFF to perform adaptation procedure. 0150 0000 Time stated

on diagnostic protocol (Max 40 TU)

Road test prior to service procedure No allowance 0 TU

Road test after service procedure 0121 0004 10 TU

Technical diagnosis at dealer’s discretion (Refer to Section 2.2.1.2 and Audi Warranty Online for DADP allowance details)

Claim Comment: As per TSB #2030477/6

All warranty claims submitted for payment must be in accordance with the Audi Warranty Policies and Procedures Manual. Claims are subject to review or audit by Audi Warranty.

Page 3 of 4 © 2013 Audi of America, Inc. All rights reserved. Information contained in this document is based on the latest information available at the time of printing and is subject to the copyright and other intellectual property rights of Audi of America, Inc., its affiliated companies and its licensors. All rights are reserved to make changes at any time without notice. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, nor may these materials be modified or reposted to other sites, without the prior expressed written permission of the publisher.

If the TSB applies, perform the following repair:

1. Remove the mechatronics unit per instructions in Elsa: Repair Manual >> Transmission >> S-Tronic

Transmission >> 35 Gears, Shafts >> Removal and Installation >> DSG Transmission Mechatronic J743.

2. Replace the circuit board per instructions in Elsa: Repair Manual >> Transmission >>S-Tronic Transmission

Internal Components >> 35 Gears, Shafts >> Removal and Installation >> DSG Transmission Mechatronic J743 Circuit Boards.

3. Reinstall the mechatronics unit per instructions in Elsa: Repair Manual >> Transmission >> S-Tronic

Transmission >> 35 Gears, Shafts >> Removal and Installation >> DSG Transmission Mechatronic J743.

Note: Be sure to follow all cautions and warnings noted in the Elsa Repair Manual.

Required Parts and Tools

Note: The Circuit Board (Repair Kit) is VIN-specific and must be ordered to the VIN of the vehicle.

Part Number Part Description Quantity

0B5398009C or 0B5398009D Repair Kit: Printed circuit foil for valve body 1

0B5315105TA Oil pipe with seal 1

0B5321371E Pan Gasket 1

Additional Information

All parts and service references provided in this TSB (2030477) are subject to change and/or removal. Always check with your Parts Department and service manuals for the latest information.

Page 4 of 4 © 2013 Audi of America, Inc. All rights reserved. Information contained in this document is based on the latest information available at the time of printing and is subject to the copyright and other intellectual property rights of Audi of America, Inc., its affiliated companies and its licensors. All rights are reserved to make changes at any time without notice. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, nor may these materials be modified or reposted to other sites, without the prior expressed written permission of the publisher.

Back
Top Bottom