Audi owners in here!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So I've decided that I want something with more power, the 2017 A4 Avant 252ps is a lovely car which I've owned for just over a year.

I was looking at same year or slightly newer S4 saloons, for around £36k. I spoke to Audi and they low balled me on the P/X price so decided to take a step back.

Help me with the logic here, my wife doesn't see it.

Currently my car has warranty until September 2020 and a major service on the Audi service plan. This makes it much easier to sell privately for about £26,000. The cost to change would then be £10,000. My wife is suggesting I wait a year, but my concern is then I would have no warranty and would struggle to sell privately and may mean taking a much lower P/X price. The reason she wants us to wait is because down sizing from an Avant to a Saloon isn't the most ideal time, but I think we can manage as our son is nearly 4 so the pram won't be needed much longer. Another part of the equation is my wife loves the car and thinks changing it after a year is silly, yet in another year that is OK..

Does it make sense that I am pushing to make the change now instead of waiting a year?

Soldato
So I've decided that I want something with more power, the 2017 A4 Avant 252ps is a lovely car which I've owned for just over a year.

I was looking at same year or slightly newer S4 saloons, for around £36k. I spoke to Audi and they low balled me on the P/X price so decided to take a step back.

Help me with the logic here, my wife doesn't see it.

Currently my car has warranty until September 2020 and a major service on the Audi service plan. This makes it much easier to sell privately for about £26,000. The cost to change would then be £10,000. My wife is suggesting I wait a year, but my concern is then I would have no warranty and would struggle to sell privately and may mean taking a much lower P/X price. The reason she wants us to wait is because down sizing from an Avant to a Saloon isn't the most ideal time, but I think we can manage as our son is nearly 4 so the pram won't be needed much longer. Another part of the equation is my wife loves the car and thinks changing it after a year is silly, yet in another year that is OK..

Does it make sense that I am pushing to make the change now instead of waiting a year?

I think your logic makes more sense, but are you not going to find it a bit of a headache shifting that privately? I was always under the impression for new cars worth £££ that most buyers would rarely part with that much cash for a private sale. How does your price compare with a used approved for example?

Soldato
I'm not sure it makes all that much sense to me in that you seem to be spending £10k just to have the same car, but a little faster and with less boot space. Is there any other benefits from changing from a spec point of view? From your wifes point, if she loves this car, she'll also love the new one because it'll be virtually identical.

I think i'd prefer to look at something like the C43 so you get the power but it doesn't feel like spending 30% of the cars value for a little extra power in the same car.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I think your logic makes more sense, but are you not going to find it a bit of a headache shifting that privately? I was always under the impression for new cars worth £££ that most buyers would rarely part with that much cash for a private sale. How does your price compare with a used approved for example?

I think it would be fine selling a car at that price backed by warranty, it's when they are out of warranty then private sellers won't take the risk. Audi would probably sell it for £28,000. I'd probably accept £25,000.

I'm not sure it makes all that much sense to me in that you seem to be spending £10k just to have the same car, but a little faster and with less boot space. Is there any other benefits from changing from a spec point of view? From your wifes point, if she loves this car, she'll also love the new one because it'll be virtually identical.

I think i'd prefer to look at something like the C43 so you get the power but it doesn't feel like spending 30% of the cars value for a little extra power in the same car.

I'm yet to drive the S4, but I'm also looking at the S3 saloon. I want something a little smaller with a bit more character and pace. I did look at the C43 but the current model (except for 2019) don't have CarPlay/Android Auto which is a no go. The new A35 looks interesting.

I had been looking at remapping my car as it does increase power to about 320ps, but I'm not sure I want to risk it, I like having a warranty.

Last edited:
I got a P/X from Mercedes as well which was similar to Audi.

So they didn't really low ball you then, they went to what trade would pay for the same car. Unless they are desperate to shift the car you are after why would they pay more for yours when they could but similar elsewhere for less?
How much you have lost on the current one is a sunk cost, whether the new one is priced sensibly is a different question as is the difference to upgrade.

Did you try getting a price to see the trade value for the one you were looking at, gives you some idea what kind of price they will probably have paid for the S4? It may give you an idea how much they could be playing with.
Also any idea how long they may have had it? Searching the road tax can give clues on this. The longer they have sat on it the keener they will be to sell.

Soldato
I suggest you get test drive of an S4 first it's got the same ZF autobox as the 328i you had which you didn't appear to get along with. I generally find the BMW software better than Audi's so you may find the box annoying in the S4. it doesn't respond aswell in certain scenarios compared to a 335d which has similar performance/weight mainly the what is the right gear for a roundabout and responding to going from slowing down to accelerating for a gap. It's also might not offer as much additional performance as you are expecting as your current A4 isn't really that slow.

Soldato
Well fair play to Audi, my mum and sister went on a road trip up to Scotland. On the way up she had some issues (she's got a 2005 mk1 TT). Rang the AA who said it was a faulty sensor and she was ok to continue.

Spotted an Audi dealership in Inverness, pulled in to ask the question and the guy gave her a brand new A3 for the week to ensure they didn't have any issues and started talking about how the mk1 TT should start appreciating at some point as he believes it's a future classic.

Whether she gets a horrendous bill on her return for any repairs would be another matter!

Soldato
My mums getting rid of her old mk1 TT. She spends ~11months of the year in Spain these days and leaving it sat doing nothing isn't doing it any good

I'm actually quite surprised how little these things are worth now. Was expecting they'd have bottomed out around £3k-£4k mark like the Z4 but she's only been offered about a grand. Might see if she wants to do a deal where i run it and then she just has it whenever she's over here.

Back
Top Bottom