Aurora Borealis red alert for the Uk tonight.

Soldato
Same problem here, we could just about make out a vague wavy green tinge but coming from the direction of the nearest town so it was almost completely drowned out by light pollution
'Twasn't even green just a faint orangey colour probably just street lights. Funnily enough the local paper was reporting all the roads out of town to all the local beauty spots were rammed saturday night everyone had the same idea of finding a spot to try and see the lights but the only thing they saw were everyone else's lights!

Caporegime

:cry:
on my cities reddit they were taking the mickey out of the poor areas.

Northern lights spotted in Byker etc with a picture of a police helicopters search light or a building/car on fire :cry:

actually makes me wonder how many people were taking photos of the sky above the NUFC ground because they nearly always have loads of grow lights on and a Massie green light emanating out of the stadium roof.

Seems like most people don't go outside at night and those who do never look at the surroundings to take notice of what's normal

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Caporegime
Never going to see it from where I live, there is far to much light pollution from surrounding cites.
on the original night I could see it from Newcastle Upon Tynes city centre edge from an area where loads of student apartment blocks are and the football stadium.

you just need a clear sky, light pollution didn't seem to matter much

Soldato
I had read elsewhere that some scientists think the sun has already peaked, but it takes potentially years to know.

Im still hopeful of heading back to Norway or Finland come October time - when its darker then now! :)
Thats the other issue isn't it winter skies are always clearer due to the fact its colder theres less moisture in the atmosphere frosty nights best of all as its all frozen out on the ground. When I used to astronomy from teh garden as a kid it was rarely worth bothering during the summer as the glow from the street lights bleached almost everything else out

Back
Top Bottom