Australian Grand Prix 2012, Albert Park Circuit - Race 1/20

Soldato
... (I think we can all agree they wouldnt purposefully hand their own car a 4s penalty - 2s per extra lap was stated on this thread - without some valid reasoing)

McLaren have a history of being strategically weak. They don't do these things on purpose, but when it comes to strategy, they are crap.

Many people on the ocuk forum have stated that Hamilton needs to start making is own strategy calls. The reason why they say this is because McLaren's pitwall (and the alleged strategy team which consists of super computers and boffins) have a track record of being bad at their job of making a good strategy.

The above, is one of the reasons why I believe that unless McLaren produce a car which is much faster than Vettel's, Vettel will beat both the McLaren drivers.

One point that astounds me about Button is that he is in his mid-30s and year on year, he is still improving. The last time I saw this type of improvement in an older driver was D.Hill, who was also in his 30s when he was improving as a driver and it culminated with him winning the title in 1996. Mansell (IMO), also had his best years in his 30's: in 1991, 1992 and 1993 (IndyCar). So what we are currently seeing is not very common.

I hope Hamilton can get back to form. It won't happen overnight, and though he was soundly beaten in the last race, the good thing was that he didn't crash or make any obvious mistakes. If he can put a string of 3-4 races together with no mistakes, even if he gets beaten by Button, it will help build his confidence and hopefully bring him back to form, which in turn should give the viewing public some exciting races later on in the season.

With regards to Ferrari: I know that some people are suggesting that the Ferrari car isn't "that" bad. I would disagree. All the former drivers who have seen in-cockpit footage of the Ferrari have all stated that it looks like a very difficult car to drive. The fact that Alonso manages to score decent points in that car, suggests to me that Alonso really is an unbelievably brilliant driver and Massa's difficulty in scoring points suggests that the car is terrible.

Soldato
dont forget that button is coming of the back of a great finish to a season were hamilton is coming of his worst.

there will be some great battles between the two still to come.

Soldato
Many people on the ocuk forum have stated that Hamilton needs to start making is own strategy calls. The reason why they say this is because McLaren's pitwall (and the alleged strategy team which consists of super computers and boffins) have a track record of being bad at their job of making a good strategy.

Lewis would be in the pits every 12 laps then.

Love the excuses for Lewis, had he kept pace with Jenson then Vettel would not have passed him, simple.

Soldato
I think people are making too many excuses for lewis this time.

He made the one major mistake of the bad start. I think that if he had kept first place at the start he would have been fine, he would have maintained a gap to Button, and then had first choice on the pit stops so would have stayed ahead and been fine

Soldato
McLaren have a history of being strategically weak. They don't do these things on purpose, but when it comes to strategy, they are crap.

The above, is one of the reasons why I believe that unless McLaren produce a car which is much faster than Vettel's, Vettel will beat both the McLaren drivers.

One point that astounds me about Button is that he is in his mid-30s and year on year, he is still improving. The last time I saw this type of improvement in an older driver was D.Hill, who was also in his 30s when he was improving as a driver and it culminated with him winning the title in 1996. Mansell (IMO), also had his best years in his 30's: in 1991, 1992 and 1993 (IndyCar). So what we are currently seeing is not very common.

I hope Hamilton can get back to form. It won't happen overnight, and though he was soundly beaten in the last race, the good thing was that he didn't crash or make any obvious mistakes. If he can put a string of 3-4 races together with no mistakes, even if he gets beaten by Button, it will help build his confidence and hopefully bring him back to form, which in turn should give the viewing public some exciting races later on in the season.

With regards to Ferrari: I know that some people are suggesting that the Ferrari car isn't "that" bad. I would disagree. All the former drivers who have seen in-cockpit footage of the Ferrari have all stated that it looks like a very difficult car to drive. The fact that Alonso manages to score decent points in that car, suggests to me that Alonso really is an unbelievably brilliant driver and Massa's difficulty in scoring points suggests that the car is terrible.

There have been some bad calls from McLaren in the past without doubt, but without all the information that the team have at the relevant time, no one at all (let alone tv spectators) can have a real idea about why certain decisions have been made.

Hamilton making his own stategy calls would be a complete disaster right now (Im not suggesting you are meaning this), he would come in for 5 stops a race ,and maybe spectators would get electrifying overtakes, but he wouldnt be competing for podiums/ wins. You are correct, in time he NEEDS to do this, but imo this takes years to accomplish, its not the work of one or two seasons (just from the amount of different possibilities /combinations that exist in current cars).

IF the strategy team is as bad as suggested sometimes on here, they wouldnt be in jobs anymore (or Whitmarsh, or LH or JB for that matter either).

This is the first time in a very long time the McLaren has actually started the season smoothly with a relatively untroubled winter, team mistakes should be more obvious if the performance is a degree better than those around them.

I agree LH currently - with his less clear strategical mind - might need a better car than RBR to win, but JB has proven last season he can beat SV with an equal car (even in the dry)

I personally think JB just isnt given the credit some of his drives deserve (a lot on here want to find fault with other's drive as if JB is gifted places / wins rather than earning them himself) - and McLaren with a tough team mate is just proving how good JB actually is (and remember 2010 McLaren wasnt even designed with JB in mind, yet he equaled LH win for win that season also).

He hass also learned from 1st working with Ross Brawn (a tactical mastermind), and 2ndly from a much more professional team in McLaren -(compared to the 1/2 team that was Brawn lol).

In one sense an obvious mistake would be easier to forget about, the fact that he was slower in the race than his team mate throughout could weigh heavier on his mind (ignoring the bad start).

It would be a hard decision for the team, but after SO long McLaren not winning the WDC/WCC, how many races to you expect McLaren to give Hamilton IF he continues to be 2nd to JB before team orders are issued (given how close RBR race pace appears at this point)......they cant leave it too long.....

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Hang on, didn't Vettel manage to pull away from Hamilton as the race progressed?

Also, if Perez really was "that" slow, Hamilton would've passed him quickly using DRS.

1) Both mclarens on fuel saving from lap 8. Possible red bull fuelled longer to utilise a longer run at full power? In the final stint Lewis tyres were shot, so despite getting close once or twice, after he couldn't cleanly get passed the window was closed and vettel pulled away.

2) well known mclaren were 10kph faster than the red bulls, not sure how they were relative to the sauber with drs etc. They are not slow around the bends, or at least slow enough to make passing them easy. Don't you need a good 1s speed advantage to make passing easy?

Soldato
You probably need to be at least 1s/lap faster than the car in front, when using DRS. However, DRS would never have worked against Vettel as Vettel appears to have an innate ability to be quick enough to prevent its usage against him. Furthermore, Vettel was just plain quicker.

Now Perez...that's a different story. If Hamilton really was so fast, he should've dispatched Perez who was on old tyres.

The truth is, Hamilton didn't do well in Australia, though I guess this was to be expected, due to his continued run of lacklustre form. His qualifying pace seem unaffected, but his race performances have been lacking. Now, either this is just bad form and the "real" Hamilton will make an appearance soon OR this is his new performance level and he is already past his best (only time can answer this question).

Out of interest: has DRS ever been used to overtake Vettel? I can't think of a single occasion.

Caporegime
you know how michael crashed and went to the trouble of not letting anyone get around the rear of the car.........

FHqjc.jpg
rQpGL.jpg

GOOD JOB NICO YOU BLOODY MORON!

theres over a dozen close ups of the rear wing , the diffuser the backs of the sidepods etc posted on another forum

Last edited:
Caporegime
What did you expect Nico to do?
Ask them nicely to step away from the car and not take any pictures?
maybe not take his car and park it near a main grandstand? looks like he tried to get back to the pits instead of find a nice quiet place
Got a link to them?
theres a bunch in the merc thread on f1technical

i imagine there will be hundreds more around soon

Soldato
maybe not take his car and park it near a main grandstand? looks like he tried to get back to the pits instead of find a nice quiet place

Seems he wouldn't have found a quiet place if people are allowed on the track, sesnsible then to try and get it back to the pits.

Hey guys, Attended the Aus GP last weekend and something odd happened, a Merc stopped on track, the Merc of Nico Rosberg. Aus GP allows you to run onto the track to watch the podium so before running to the podium and with marshals shoving me away I tried to get as many photos of the the rear wing, F-Duct, Diffuser and Rear wheel fins as possible before booting to the podium. hope these are ok, could have got a lot more detail but was in a rush and being bumped.

Soldato
hes got a point tho. a lot of hours have been put in to the car and trying to find ways to be fastest for all its secrets to be put out in a few seconds.

the f1 teams prob new all this info anyway.

Back
Top Bottom